Cortland Partners Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Cortland Partners CEO Steven DeFrancis
Steven DeFrancis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Cortland Partners stands above the rest because of their culture (in 17 reviews)

• I've heard chatter about work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The recent change in hours has left me with little to no work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• I have no cons from my summer internship (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Cortland Is home!"

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Cortland Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company culture is truly amazing! Cortland is a huge family and it's something to admire. I enjoy coming to work to give our customers a reason to smile. Cortland is all about great service. Creating value for a better life is honestly something that we stand by and are devoted to on a daily basis. There are plenty of opportunities for growth at any level. I am blessed to work for a company that believes in me and has given me the opportunity to advance as an employee, person, and teammate.

Cons

Cortland is growing pretty fast and due to that it has encountered a few hiccups here and there, but they never lose focus of their vision and are always making sure they do the right thing for the right reasons.

Advice to Management

I would recommend more communication between managers to onsite staff. Communicating to each team member is crucial and it creates a better understanding of why things need to be accomplished.

Apr 13, 2017 – Talent Experience Manager

You are a true Cortland ambassador! Go, Team Charlotte! We are happy to hear that you are having an excellent experience at Cortland. I am confident that your future residents will have an... More

2. "Amazing"

Current Employee - Groundskeeper in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Groundskeeper in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Cortland Partners part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great and friendly management
    - Put employees first
    - Great field of communication from Corporate to the Nation's Cortland Family
    - Amazing benefits
    - Vertically Intergrated

Cons

At times management is unreasonable but understandable.

Advice to Management

Keep it Up.

3. "Excellent Company"

I have been working at Cortland Partners full-time

Pros

Fun, fast-paced, great culture, and lots of opportunities for career progression.

Cons

work/life balance could be better

"Accounting"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Cortland Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, flexible working hours, growing asset-base, plenty of availability for cool projects that require innovative thinking, creativity, and technical aptitude.

Cons

Salaries are generally good, but as much as they pride themselves on raises not being based on tenure, but rather skill, it's obvious that the overarching leadership in Accounting is flawed, as they don't have the technical capacity themselves to judge others', which leads to promotions that aren't well-suited, along with problems lingering for way longer than they should. They have great goals, but if you don't know who on your team is capable, then you're bound to be misled by your own team members taking advantage of their talking abilities, rather than their technical abilities.

Advice to Management

Merge a couple team members from the Investment Analytics Department to the Accounting Department for a few months, with the sole duty to understand where inefficiencies lie, and judge who is technically competent to fix them. Promote the people that can fix them, and take a much keener look at how much salary expense is thrown down the drain by people that cannot perform and aren't a right fit for Cortland.

Feb 16, 2018 – Talent Experience Manager

Thank you for your thoughts! We’re glad to hear that you love our culture as much as we do. Our culture and associates are what place us a cut above the rest. We are constantly striving to implement... More

5. "Groundskeeper"

Current Employee - Groundskeeper in Pickerington, OH
    Current Employee - Groundskeeper in Pickerington, OH

I have been working at Cortland Partners part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

with cortland i have been given the opportunity to work for a company that will let me show my skill set
    and go as far as i wont to go

Cons

cortland partners is a growing company and very innovative things change just when you are getting use to the way things are done

Advice to Management

keep growing keep educating keep inspiring us to grow and be better each and everyday RAVE ON

Feb 16, 2018 – Talent Experience Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a rave review! We’re thrilled to hear that working for Cortland allows you to show off your skills and that the sky is the limit! You got it exactly right... More

"High Turnover"

Former Employee - Senior Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Manager

I worked at Cortland Partners full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive salary
    Good benefits
    Large company for employment opportunities
    On boarding process
    If you want to be apart of a process, then this is the company for you.

Cons

No investment in people
    Sell you on the success of company, but do not take care of their people managing their sites
    Fear of losing job in all levels of management
    Poor leadership
    Zero culture established

Advice to Management

Make sure you take of care your people and they will take care of you. Apartment industry is all hands on deck type of environment. If higher ups aren’t apart of the hands on deck philosophy and choose to “burn” through employees rather than create a team environment it will be the ultimate downfall.

7. "Constantly Evolving"

Current Employee - Community Manager
    Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Cortland Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cortland is great about growing & evolving to get better everyday. I've worked for a few different companies in the past and none have empowered their teams & worked to improve as much as Cortland does. It is rewarding to work for a company that values both the residents and the associates. The tools and technology given to community level employees are phenomenal. It allows for us to provide exceptional service to our residents. Also, the new RAVE program is great!

Cons

A bulk of the upper management roles in the Operations division are filled with outside hires. Not easy to make the leap from property level to upper management.

Advice to Management

Great job working to create a wonderful company culture.

Jan 26, 2018 – Talent Experience Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review! You’re right, we are growing and evolving every day, and we make a concerted effort to have our values guide our growth. We believe our associates... More

"The Best of the Best"

Current Employee - Sourcing Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sourcing Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cortland Partners full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been working a long time and have had many employers. Cortland Partners stands above the rest because of their culture. The culture is innovative, forward thinking, progressive and at times just plain wacky. We have a lot of fun but we work hard. The special feature of the culture is the attention focused on people. Whether you are an associate, vendor, resident, contractor, etc...the focus is on taking the best care of you that they can. Everyone within is determined to make your experience with Cortland Partners an unforgettably wonderful one. It is a great company and worth joining if you are people focused.

Cons

No Cons at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do, the way you do it and continue to do it right.

Jan 17, 2018 – Talent Experience Manager

Hello, fellow Cortlandian! We’re so happy to hear that you love our culture as much as we do! You’re right – our culture is people-centered because you help make our company as great as it is... More

9. "Not relocating to stay with this company was the worst decision of my life!!"

Former Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Lake Charles, LA
    Former Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Lake Charles, LA

I worked at Cortland Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked for several property management companies and Cortland is by far the best of the best! I love my career and I truly enjoyed coming to work every single day. There are not enough positive things I can say. This company truly values their employees and they show it on every level possible down from the house keeper or grounds keeper up through management. There is constant support for anything that might come up, and you always know who to reach out to. If you are looking for a change and work in this industry this is the company you want to work for. They sold my property this past summer and unfortunately, I wasn't in a position to relocate at the time. Since Cortland sold everything has gone downhill. I've already reached out to them and I'm ready to relocate as soon as a position opens. I kick myself every day for not making the move work this summer.

Cons

I couldn't even name a con. I did work a lot of hours when working for Cortland, but that was because I just truly enjoyed the work that I did.

Advice to Management

Keep molding everything the way that you are, you were truly an amazing company to work for and I can't wait to rejoin the team!

Jan 17, 2018 – Talent Experience Manager

Hello, Cortlandian! Thank you for taking the time give us your opinion. We are so glad to hear that you loved coming to work every day. You’re right – we do value all of our associates because they... More

10. "I love it!"

I have been working at Cortland Partners full-time

Pros

I have had nothing but positive experiences from the start. The work environment is phenomenal, and everyone is friendly. I couldn't ask for anything more.

Cons

I can't think of a single one.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing!