Cortland Reviews | Glassdoor

Cortland CEO Steven DeFrancis
Steven DeFrancis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "work/life balance could be better" (in 17 reviews)

• "A bulk of the upper management roles in the Operations division are filled with outside hires" (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best Decision I Ever Made"

Current Employee - Talent in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Talent in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cortland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are far too many pros to list out so I'll just hit the highlights. This is one of the greatest companies you could work for. I have been continuously blown away since the first day by the friendliness of the associates, the culture that drives Cortland's success, and the atmosphere that still gets me excited to come to work (and I've been here for over a year). The work load can certainly be challenging at times, but your team is always there to support you; it's not like you're ever just left to your own devices. Job training is offered to every associate to keep everyone performing at their highest level.

Sure the deadlines can be rough and the pace can sometimes be a little too fast, but I wouldn't trade in any part of my experience thus far. It's been one heck of a year so far, and I'm excited to see where the next year takes me.

Cons

A lot of programs are hyped up, rolled out, and then kind of forgotten about. I'd love it if our initiatives kept up with our fast pace instead of being left in the dust.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on! Just don't forget about programs that could make the associate experience even better.

Oct 5, 2018 – VP, Talent Acquisition

Hello, fellow Cortlandian! We are thrilled to hear that your experience has exceeded your expectations. It is associates like you who amplify our culture and continue to make Cortland an awesome... More

2. "Truly cares about the people..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cortland full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company truly cares about it's people. From the moment I started, I could tell that it would be a great place for me. And Cortland hasn't disappointed me yet! As with all companies, you get what you put in. I have read some of the other reviews and don't agree with them. If you work hard, you are rewarded with more exposure, opportunity.

Cons

It is a fast moving company, but for me, that is exciting. I can see how for others it could be overwhelming. This is not a sit and stay kind of place, it's a get up and go kind of place!

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on your employees and the impact that everyone can make, recognizing differences and supporting us!

Dec 28, 2018 – Talent Experience Manager

Hello there, Cortlandian! Wow, what a great review! We're beyond thrilled that your experience has exceeded your expectations. You're right – we are a fast-paced company, and we greatly value the... More

3. "Work for a company that cares"

Current Employee - Leasing Professional in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Leasing Professional in Austin, TX

I have been working at Cortland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Putting the employees first is the thing that makes this company stands out against others.

Cons

Rapid growth leads to some mismanagement in same cases.

Dec 18, 2018 – Talent Experience Manager

Hey there, Cortlandian! Associates like you are the reason we’re successful – and we want to make sure at every step that our associates know they’re valued. Best-in-class benefits and numerous... More

4. "Leasing Agent"

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Cortland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cortland stands firm on what they believe. Residents aren't only a business, they are a priority. We are paid well and are constantly trained to be the best we can.

Cons

Manager / Leaders aren't fully qualified for their positions sometimes.

Advice to Management

Be the change you want to see, set a better example.

Dec 17, 2018 – Talent Experience Manager

Hello, fellow Cortlandian! You hit the nail on the head – our residents truly are one of our highest priorities. Our focus on creating an unparalleled resident experience drives most everything we do... More

5. "ACM"

Former Employee - ACM in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - ACM in Irving, TX

I worked at Cortland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No more Pros at all!!!

Cons

This company use to be great to work for but have they changed.....No work/life balance and to top it off changed the bonus structure and changed the ACM position to where you have to work harder to meet your bonus....It’s not about working hard but who you know even a promotion will be based on favoritism! Nothing but chaos and drama in the office again so much favoritism that staff get away with unacceptable behavior....Each day they keep losing good employees to only keep the worse.......don’t do it....not worth it! It’s more like do the wrong things for the right reason

6. "Horrible"

I worked at Cortland full-time

Pros

Pay
    Bonuses
    Location
    Free major health insurance

Cons

No support at all
    No open communication
    No consistency in staff
    3 managers in 9 months
    Not good to work towards advancement

7. "Too much nepotism and favoritism."

I worked at Cortland full-time

Pros

Medical benefits were amazing, completely covered.

Cons

The amount of favoritism is extremely apparent and primarily due to the nepotism that runs through the company. Work-life balance is off. The renovation side of the company was unorganized and using subpar products, which caused issues with residents being unsatisfied for the amount of rent they pay.
    When you are off, you are NEVER off. The amount of things that cannot wait until the next day were out of control.

Advice to Management

Create and enforce better policies when hiring family and friends. Recognize when you have good employees who are unhappy. Give your employees a chance to live their life outside of work.

"Yuck!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Cortland full-time

Pros

There are some nice people that work at Cortland.

Cons

Leadership at Cortland is completely unqualified for the positions they are hired for. Across all levels of the organization they are lowering the bar. Top performers are not valued at Cortland. If you are doing your job well, taking on more and more responsibility, and making a positive impact on the organization, your work is not recognized. Nepotism is full force at Cortland. The overall general benefits for employees are pretty sub-par. The 401K is a 25% match of up to 6% of base salary, which is well below market. Starting base salaries are also below market, they try to sell you on bonus, painting an inflated assessment of what bonuses (could) look like, and then they delay paying out on them.

Advice to Management

Do better

Jan 11, 2019 – VP Talent Acquisition

Hi, there! Since you took the time to outline your pain points, we’d like the opportunity to respond. Our leadership team are the people who steer the ship and move Cortland forward in an exciting... More

9. "Construction Manager"

I worked at Cortland full-time

Pros

Fast paced environment and some great people

Cons

I was disappointed when Cortland laid off some employees on my team the week before bonuses were to be paid. I thought that was somewhat cutthroat for a company that claims to do the right thing for the right reason.

Jan 11, 2019 – VP Construction Operations

Hello, there! We’d like to take a moment to make sure we’re all on the same page. Please know that the bonus payouts did not factor into the decision-making process for personnel changes – and all... More

"Beware of Cortland’s construction side “Cortland Build”"

I have been working at Cortland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very nice office, parties, plenty of opportunities.

Cons

Where do I begin......the turnover rate in construction is the highest I have ever seen. They hire/fire and people quit on a weekly basis. The work/life balance is nonexistent. You will end up working nights and weekends with no acknowledgment. The development, CASK supply, interior design, and construction teams are always pointing fingers and have many internal issues. They act like they care about their employees but it is all about profit and politics. If you notice.....there aren’t many people who work with Cortland that have tenure. So many people come and go and the most of the original construction managers are no longer with the company. The project managers are treated like dirt. The preconstruction team is great but is led by incompetent managers who are not qualified and are terrible managers. At Cortland Build, it’s about who you know and how much you suck up to your boss. Your experience/work ethic will not matter if you are not buddy buddy with the upper management. I have heard stories of people not passing the interview process but still getting hired because of a connection within the company.

Advice to Management

Hire qualified managers, invest in your people through training instead of firing them, stop hiring unqualified PM’s and Superintendents with Mo multi family experience and expect a successful project. Pay your subcontractors on time. Get rid of the bad eggs within the company. Stop going on all those private plane rides.

Dec 18, 2018 – Talent Experience Manager

Hello, Cortlandian. As you can imagine, that was not a fun review to read. Since you took the time to list your pain points, I would like to take the time to address them. Regarding turnover rates... More