KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Cortland CEO Steven DeFrancis
Steven DeFrancis
Talk anonymously with Real Estate professionals

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great pay but not for the hours.(in 32 reviews)
  • "It is amazing how a company so young has already created such a great culture.(in 32 reviews)
  • "Great benefits and retirement plans.(in 30 reviews)
  • "The people are great and passionate about what they do.(in 21 reviews)
  • "Working at such a large community can be great for commission.(in 10 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Cortland and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0

Awesome Company

Mar 19, 2022 - Property Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent training and employee benefits!

Cons

Work life and home life balance can be tricky BUT they totally understand and support you if you need time off.

2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Place To Work

May 22, 2022 - Maintenance Supervisor in Irving, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

The People you meet and work with as well as the residents. all in all cortland is the place your gonna want to work for above all else this is the single best management company I have worked for and by compensation is the best

Cons

"Workload" : sometimes the workload is beyond ones understanding of regular work and or exceptional behavior. You are responsible for so much sometimes it can be overwhelming but once you learn their systems/ways the company is almost flawless when it comes to employment/housing.

Cortland Response

Internal Communications

Hello, Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience working with Cortland! We're so happy to hear that you have been enjoying working for Cortland. We definitely understand that things move quickly at Cortland, but are happy to hear that it became easier as you learned our operational processes. We certainly don't want any associate to ever feel like they are on their own, so if you ever do need assistance of any kind, please feel free to let us or your director of operations know. We would be happy to assist! -Your Talent Resources Team

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great experience from start to finish

Jun 20, 2022 - Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I wasn't initially targeting real estate in my next job, but the more I read about Cortland thru the Careers page the more interested I became. When I applied, the communication was very good and I felt like I knew what was happening all the way thru the hiring up until my offer. Interviews were informative and helped me make my decision.

Cons

Haven't been here that long, but it's been great so far. Excited about the road ahead.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company

Jun 20, 2022 - Resident Experience Manager in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good commision and decent bonuses

Cons

It feels like we are constantly understaffed

5. 2.0
    Former Employee

Not what I expected

Jun 5, 2022 - Community Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay, cell phone partial reimbursement, good bonuses.

Cons

Employee experience doesn’t matter in this company. DOs are not trained to be leaders and coaches. Most have attitudes of “do as I say not as I do” attitudes and behaviors. Upper management is not responsive. Emails you send are unanswered for days or weeks at a time. And it's not just one individual. The whole company seems to be operating this way from the marketing department to recruiting, acquisitions teams, etc. Forget the work-life balance. No CM support on multiple levels. This topic can take a whole other review on its own. Super high staff turnover. Interesting why? Also interesting is that they don't send exit surveys about employee experience and ask how and where they might have gone wrong as a company to improve employee experience in the future, which only goes to show the lack of humility in the company. Paper pushing processes that are time-consuming and not user-friendly. Cortland is way behind its competitors that accomplish the same tasks faster and less stressful for their teams and residents alike due to simplified processes. Too many apps you have to remember and keep up with. Work is definitely not fun and turns into a nightmare dealing with different apps and each having its own list of hiccups. As far as benefits are concerned, they do not offer good 401k matching and there are no designated sick days. All you get is standard 2 weeks per year and 3 floating holidays while most other companies have the same 2 weeks of vacation pay and 6-7 sick days on top of that and a list of observed national holidays paid as well. Medical insurance traditional plans are very expensive. Not everyone wants and can go with Health Savings Plan that they offer and keep pushing on you.

1 person found this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great company to work for!

Jun 9, 2022 - Community Manager in Boynton Beach, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Huge growth and amazing leaders!

Cons

None, they are doing well in their lane!

7. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great when things are good, horrible when things are bad

Apr 3, 2022 - Technician in Columbus, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

Frequently hold get togethers to celebrate team members and accomplishments. Very easy to move up to management due to frequent expansion. Great to gain initial management experience. Most people you work with are genuinely good and caring people. Good benefits, with bonuses based on renewals.

Cons

Lower pay than many other companies. Turnover can/will lead to increased workload without increased pay. Frequently attempting to/purchasing new properties, while struggling to fully staff the properties they have. Aggressive rent increases lead to decrease in renewals, leading to decrease in renewal bonuses money for associates. You may be asked/told to relocate to a different property without any reason, or pay increase. Management is very hit or miss, with some being phenomenal on all fronts, some being pushy micromanagers, and some lacking the backbone to tell employees the truth.

2 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work

Jun 2, 2022 - Technical Recruiter
    Business Outlook

Pros

During these Covid times, we can work from home 2 of 5 days. Great pay!

Cons

Not fully remote, not enough training.

9. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Cortland and their Culture is a JOKE

Apr 26, 2022 - Community Manager in Denver, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nothing at this point. Please read CONS for reasons why. There a WAY better companies to work for that respect you as an individual.

Cons

They market their culture is "To do whats right for the right reason", but this does NOT apply when dealing with their employees. Upper management just does what they want which includes but NOT limited to sleeping with their managers on the side and them getting away with anything they want. When you get on their bad side, they make your life hell to push you out. Unless you are part of their "click" or sleeping with one of them, then you will not fit in with Cortland's Culture. I thought everyday I worked that things couldn't get worse but I WAS SOOO WRONG!! This company it NOT worth your mental and/or physical health.

4 people found this review helpful

Cortland Response

Internal Communications

Hello, We are disappointed to hear that you were unhappy during your time with Cortland. We work very hard to ensure that our core value of doing the right thing for the right reason is being upheld at all levels and strive to create a welcoming environment for all associates. Inappropriate behavior such as you have described in your review is not tolerated and I want to assure you that our Talent team will always respond with appropriate action whenever we receive reports from our associates. We would greatly appreciate an opportunity to discuss any of these concerns with you. Please feel free to reach out at talentresources@cortland.com at your earliest convenience. -Jeff G., Director of Operations

10. 2.0

Run Fast, Run Far

Feb 18, 2022 - Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

It can be a really fun place to work and you'll be challenged to stretch beyond what you think you can do. As an entry level person you'll probably be able to get a lot more experience in different things right off the bat than you would at other places. It is still growing with a lot of opportunity.

Cons

That said, take the experience then run as soon as you can't take it anymore. This place can be very toxic. There's an emphasis on being in the cool kids club, including looking the part. This can often mean you work with people who are fun but incompetent at their job and make other's jobs very frustrating. Also the "do the right thing for the right reason" notion is a farce. They'll try to get away with whatever they think they can do without the employee noticing. And compliance? Yeah, that's not really a thing here. Be prepared to bend the rules beyond your ethical comfortability.

12 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 490 Reviews

Cortland Reviews FAQs

Cortland has an overall rating of 3.6 out of 5, based on over 509 reviews left anonymously by employees. 65% of employees would recommend working at Cortland to a friend and 60% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -7% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Cortland employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.8 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Cortland. This rating has decreased by -2% over the last 12 months.

65% of Cortland employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Cortland 3.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.8 for culture and values and 3.9 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Cortland to be benefits, culture, career development and the cons to be work life balance, senior leadership, management.

Popular Careers with Cortland Job Seekers