Cortland Reviews

Updated Jun 12, 2021

4.0
Cortland CEO Steven DeFrancis
Steven DeFrancis
Pros
  • "Cortland is a great company to work for(in 21 reviews)

• "Great benefits and retirement plans(in 18 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work/life balance can be challenging at times(in 29 reviews)

• "Multiple levels of upper management(in 21 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Cortland and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years
      Featured Review

I have no words!

Jun 16, 2020 - Community Manager in Smyrna, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Cortland is more than just a company, it’s a family. It truly is. Cortland is a fast-paced, ever-evolving company that puts constant emphasis on the needs and wants of its residents, future residents and associates. Cortland’s culture focuses on putting the residents first and that positivity drives their associates to strive to be better. #lovewhatyoudoandletitahow #growtogetherandplayasateam #havethecouragetobebetter #listenwithyourheartandyourmind #dotherightthingfortherightreason

Cons

Cortland is a fast-paced company that continuously strives to adhere to the most current wants and demands of its residents and associates. If you are a creature of habit, this may be a challenge for you. You’ve got to be able to embrace the changes and implement them at a moments notice.

Brian Baker, Director of Operations

Hi, Cortlandian! We couldn't have said it better. Cortland is a place where we want everyone to feel like family. Family pushes one another to grow and they'll always support you! Therefore, we truly care about our associates, and most importantly our residents – they both play an enormous role in our continued success in the multifamily industry. Our hard work and fast-paced environment is how we've become successful, so yes you're right not everyone has what it takes to keep up with us! However, those that do, prosper at Cortland. Thanks for your awesome feedback. #LoveWhatYouDoAndLetItShow

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Company Culture

May 25, 2021 - Property Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone shares the same values and pride in what we do. Everyone is happy and friendly and humble. It's unlike any company I know of.

Cons

Can't think of any cons

Ashley Gordon, VP of Talent Acquisition

Hey! At Cortland, we aim to provide a work environment for our associates that encourages togetherness. We’re glad to know your team believes in the core values and portrays what it means to be a family. We hope you continue to enjoy your associate journey with us!

3. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Cortland - Leasing Agent

Jun 9, 2021 - Leasing Agent in Kingwood, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Commission and bonuses (when in lease up).

Cons

Your HR reports will likely not be taken seriously. Residents have free range to treat you however they choose (this includes yelling in your face and cussing you out via email or phone). Living onsite you get a 20% discount which is not worth it, due to you being on call basically and not compensated?? The toxic work environment (Me and another associate were cussed out by a coworker and she was never written up)

1 person found this review helpful
    4. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Not worth the time

Apr 27, 2021 - Assistant Manager in Fort Worth, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Cortland started off as a great company, but really went down hill.

Cons

Cortland would be amazing if C.M's were held accountable, but most of them think they are invincible, which has sadly been proved correct. Multiple HR complaints were made against a C.M and all they did was tell her and allow her to make fun of us. We dealt with racial slurs and sayings along with lots of unprofessionalism. Even went as far as cutting ties with Cortland altogether. I know a few employees considered lawyers due to the environment we were put in.

2 people found this review helpful

Rina Sharpe, VP of Talent Engagement

Hello, there. We hold every associate at Cortland accountable for their actions, and we do not tolerate the use of any racial slurs or forms of discrimination. In fact, we do take associate complaints very seriously – just like we did for this one.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Place to Work

Apr 25, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Entrepreneurial, empowering, and engaging company and leadership. Smart, intelligent associates who constantly challenge you to become better version of yourself.

Cons

Extremely fast paced. This company behaves like a start-up, constantly innovating and improving. Not for the faint of heart, or for someone who doesn't like to be challenged, or likes the easy way out.

Ashley Gordon, VP of Talent Acquisition

Hey, Cortlandian! As you may know by now, we like to recruit individuals who believe in our mission, themselves, and their ability to grow. We do move at a fast pace – it's in our nature to get better and better every day. It’s our innovation that helps us remain a top player in the multifamily industry, and our associates are a huge part of that!

6. 3.0

Good Company

Jun 8, 2021 - Leasing Professional in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good healthcare benefits for employees

Cons

sometimes can seem only profit driven

7. 1.0
      Former Employee

They don’t care

Jun 12, 2021 - Property Manager in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

They have great swag, and throw great parties

Cons

Everything else, they just don’t care

8. 5.0

Great!

May 20, 2021 - Resident Experience Manager in Nashville, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Commission, flexible schedule, uncapped commission

Cons

Variety of residents personalities, weekends

Tiffany Barnett, Director of Operations

Hi, Cortlandian! It's always great to receive positive feedback about our associate experience. We work hard to ensure that associates who work hard reap the rewards of their success. Cortland’s top priority is taking care of our residents, and as you know, sometimes that requires long days, weekends, and varying personalities – but that’s why we continue to climb the ladder in the industry.

9. 4.0
      Former Employee

Nice environment

May 6, 2021 - Leasing Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone is nice and there's good commission

Cons

You have to be organized and good with time management or it's very easy to get overwhelmed

1 person found this review helpful

Ashley Gordon, VP of Talent Acquisition

Hi, we’re glad you enjoyed your time with us and our Cortland camaraderie! It’s true that without time management and organizational skills, our fast-paced environment isn’t for everyone. However, if you decide you want to rejoin the Cortland family, we encourage you to look at our available opportunities in the future!

10. 4.0

"Culture"

May 6, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very modern and millennial. The strive to have great benefits for employees.

Cons

Cortland preaches about a culture I haven't seen.

Rina Sharpe, VP of Talent Engagement

Hello! At Cortland, we try our best to stay progressive and adjust our culture as we see fit. The benefits we offer play a crucial role in that – along with our core values and our people. Since we’ve been distanced for the past year, we’ve had to adjust how we share our culture with our associates. We hope that you get the chance to experience the camaraderie we preach about and enjoy your journey with us!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 410 Reviews