KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Cortland

Engaged Employer

Cortland

Add a Review

Cortland Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Jan 20, 2021

Found 28 of over 446 reviews

3.8
Cortland CEO Steven DeFrancis
Steven DeFrancis
Pros
  • "Cortland is a great company to work for(in 21 reviews)

• "Great benefits and retirement plans(in 18 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work/life balance can be challenging at times(in 29 reviews)

• "Multiple levels of upper management(in 21 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Cortland and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company to work for!

Jan 20, 2021 - Resident Experience Manager in Fort Worth, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay, bonus and commission structure Decent benefits Nice offices and communities Great upper management Tons of room for career growth

Cons

They are constantly changing the platforms we use so that can get frustrating. I hate our new phone systems, they're the absolute worst. Calls are constantly being dropped. I will also say that some CMs need to be watched more closely. Some of them act/treat their staff 100% different when upper management visits. Most offices are run short staffed now and that used to not be the case.

3 people found this review helpful

Kristi Greer, Director of Operations

Hello, Cortlandian! Thank you for your feedback. As you may know, one of our top priorities is to keep our associates and residents happy by providing them with cream-of-the-crop benefits, compensation, amazing peers, and growth opportunities. Everyday, Cortland is growing, which comes with changes to our processes; however, these changes only make us more efficient!

2. 4.0
      Current Employee

Cortland has great potential to be the best. Would love to be able to give them a 5 but they have some work to do.

Oct 2, 2020 - Leasing Team
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've had the opportunity to work with some fantastic people. Training and procedures are on point. Beautiful communities! Easy access and communication with management up to the highest level.

Cons

Upper management is blind to the weaknesses of its CMs and supervisors. As long as they are producing numbers, they don't care that teams are miserable and lack leadership. CMs spend little time in the office and don't work when they are there. Uncomfortable work environments edging on sexual harrasment and racial bias. Lack of leadership of their team and favoritism of team members. Work hard and produce means nothing if you missed a response to a resident or wouldn't lie to cover your CMs butt. CM not performing or gross violation of policy, just move them to another property. It's like a game but with people and careers. Best bud of someone in upper management and you have promotions and a job for life. Favoritism runs rampant. The same CMs move from property to property.

1 person found this review helpful

Jonathan Tucker, EVP of Operations and Facilities

Hello, Cortlandian! Thank you for providing us with your feedback. We always want to receive five-star reviews from our associates, but we know we’re not perfect – although we strive to be! We’re glad you feel surrounded by awesome people because we take pride in recruiting the best out there. We certainly do not tolerate any kind of favoritism, racial bias, or sexual harassment. We strongly encourage you to reach out to your supervisor and talentresources@cortland.com to address these issues as we do not take them lightly. We solely believe that your hard work brings success, not who you are friends with. At Cortland, we promote a family-like atmosphere – and you’re right, providing an above and beyond experience for our residents starts with the team. Working together and playing as a team is an important factor in succeeding, and we always try to incorporate our core values in everything we do.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Phenomenal DFW Team

Nov 21, 2019 - Community Manager in Plano, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

I love that I can truly be myself around upper management. I did not feel this way with the previous company I worked for. This is huge to me! I started off with Cortland as a Leasing Agent in 2016 and was promoted to an Assistant Community Manager in 2018, and then recently promoted to a Community Manager in April 2019. This clearly shows that if you want to grow with Cortland, the opportunity is there. You just have to want it bad enough and have the data to back up your growth. I've never worked for a male DO and was a little intimidated interviewing for the CM position but was able to be myself and have learned so much from not only my DO and AOM's but fellow managers as well. I consider myself lucky to have the team and support that I have. I absolutely love that I can be myself with EVERYONE within Cortland.

Cons

As Cortland is growing, we've encountered typical growing pains but I really can't even consider that a "con" because growing pains are inevitable with any company or anytime you encounter growth.

EVP of Operations & Facilities

Hey, there! We appreciate your transparency and willingness to excel with us. In order to execute your job, we feel that you must be comfortable with their surroundings and peers. Cortland values bringing like-minded people together and achieving greatness! Yes, we’re continuing to grow and with that comes obstacles, but we’re certainly learning every day – especially with great feedback like yours! #GrowTogetherAndPlayAsATeam – Jonathan Tucker, EVP of Operations & Facilities

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Really, really great company to work for

May 29, 2020 - Community Manager in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Upper management in DFW is wonderful and very supportive. AOM, DO, Regional Landscaper, Regional Pest Control, Regional Service and Quality Manager are always available and ready to help. I have also felt very well taken care of during the COVID-19 pandemic. Lots of room for growth if you work hard and meet your goals.

Cons

None really, I'm very happy working for Cortland.

EVP of Operations & Facilities, Jonathan Tucker

Hi, there! Our leaders are always there to help onsite associates with whatever they need whenever they need. We empower and encourage our associates to reach out to their leaders with questions or suggestions at any time to keep their community running smoothly. Additionally, there is plenty of room for upward mobility for hard-working, dedicated associates like yourself. The sky’s the limit, Cortlandian! #LoveWhatYouDoAndLetItShow

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing company to work for!

Feb 14, 2020 - Resident Experience Manager in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture - Core Values Opportunity for growth Plenty of training The property I work at was purchased by Cortland in September 2019 and it has been nothing but improvements and continuous support from upper management. I am grateful to be a part of such a great company!

Cons

So far I have not seen any cons to report. I genuinely love working for Cortland.

EVP of Operations & Facilities, Jonathan Tucker

Hey, there! It’s great to hear the transition to Cortland has exceeded your expectations. We strive to support all our associates so they can succeed in their role! As for holiday parties, we want to celebrate coming together with your work family, which currently means no guests. However, there might be some changes in the future. We’re glad you’re enjoying your experience so far!

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Fantastic and Innovative Company

May 29, 2020 - Community Manager in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Cortland is a team oriented company. The focus is on both personal growth as well as career growth. The company Core Values are not only written, but are practiced and implemented in the day to day operations.

Cons

Multiple levels of upper management

7. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Horrible Management Company!!!!!

May 26, 2020 - Property Manager in Irving, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nothing good to say about this company

Cons

Worst management company because of the upper management staff. They are fake and will talk crap behind your back and will get rid of you if they do not like you.

2 people found this review helpful

EVP of Operations & Facilities, Jonathan Tucker

Hi, there. We’re disappointed to hear that your experience with us did not live up to your expectations. At Cortland, our family-like culture does not condone any unpleasant behavior, especially favoritism. We strive to hire people who encompass our values and our leaders are prime examples of that. We’d like to hear more about your experience and ask that you reach out to talentresources@cortland.com to share your thoughts. Thank you for your feedback!

8. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Disappointed

Dec 23, 2019 - Community Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

I had a great team, those who worked together locally were are supportive and worked together.

Cons

Zero upper management support, retaliative company.

3 people found this review helpful

EVP of Operations & Facilities

Hi, there! We don’t enjoy hearing that an associate’s experience was anything less than our Cortland best. We strive to ensure our management structure is always improving, which is one of the many factors that has made us an industry leader! We can assure you that leaders at all levels have their boots on the ground to ensure they’re supporting you, your team, and your community. – Jonathan Tucker, EVP of Operations and Facilities

9. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Started out great, ended on a down note

Aug 29, 2019 - Property Accounting Supervisor in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fair pay, WFH options, soda fountain

Cons

Upper management changed, lots of outside hiring instead of promoting from within

1 person found this review helpful

Cortland Response

Hi there, Cortlandian! We’re glad that your Cortland journey started out great – and we hope to turn your experience around. It’s true that there have been some changes as we work to become the largest name in the multifamily industry, and we always appreciate an outside perspective. However, we also love hearing what our associates are thinking, so we encourage you to reach out to talentresources@cortland.com with your thoughts! #ListenWithYourHeartAndYourMind – Ashley Gordon, VP of Talent Acquisition

10. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Nepotism, Over-Worked, Unfair Treatment

Apr 12, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are absolutely no pros to this job.

Cons

-Upper management only favors individuals who don't speak up about things that could help the company move forward. This industry is growing at a high rate... listen to the individuals who actually perform their fullest ability. -You are encouraged to "speak-up" when things aren't going right, but that just makes you a target for upper management to get rid of you. -They DO NOT like people who are smarter than them. As soon as you show that your intelligence level is way beyond the job, out you go! -They demand an extreme amount of work from you and only point out your mistakes, never seek to speak about how wonderful you are actually doing. -NO WORK/LIFE BALANCE AT ALL. I AM SERIOUS. IF YOU HAVE A FAMILY DO NOT WORK HERE. -The right hand does not talk to the left hand. Construction will do what they want, and management in house has no idea of anything until the day of. -If for any reason whatsoever (not even work related) that someone above you does not like you, they WILL pick you apart and quite literally force you out. They will find a way to make you feel like absolute crap. I have never worked with a company like this before in my life. Trust me when I say that you are better off working at literally ANY other place. -They have way too many people working in random useless departments. If a program of theirs isn't working right, you submit a "help desk ticket" and it just gets pawned off to the next person over and over again.

8 people found this review helpful

Senior Manager of Talent Engagement and Inclusion

Hello, there. We wish that your time with us had lived up to your expectations. Since you took the time to outline your pain points, we’d like to take the opportunity to respond. You’re right that our industry is growing rapidly. To stay at the top of our game, we encourage our associates to speak up about ideas they have or opportunities for improvement that they see – not to make them a target, but to ensure that we’re making the right moves at every level of our organization. It’s also true that we do ask our associates to be high performing to keep Cortland ahead of the pack, and we make sure to temper our work with opportunities for fun or time off as associates need. We may work hard, but we also play hard. We encourage you to reach out to Talent Resources at talentresources@cortland.com to share your thoughts so we can better understand any steps we may need to take. We also wish you the best of luck with your future endeavors. – Megan Jackson-Cheatham, Senior Manager of Talent Engagement and Inclusion

Viewing 1 - 10 of 28 Reviews