KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Cortland

Engaged Employer

Cortland

Add a Review

Cortland Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Dec 29, 2020

Found 37 of over 446 reviews

3.8
Cortland CEO Steven DeFrancis
Steven DeFrancis
Pros
  • "Cortland is a great company to work for(in 21 reviews)

• "Great benefits and retirement plans(in 18 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work/life balance can be challenging at times(in 29 reviews)

• "Multiple levels of upper management(in 21 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Cortland and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great Company! Highly invested in it's associates.

Dec 29, 2020 - Community Manager in Smyrna, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits. Great people. Work life balance. Really values it's associates. Opportunity!

Cons

As a still growing company, and growing fast, we're still learning how to listen to all departments and the feedback they may have towards a project or idea.

EVP of Operations and Facilities, Jonathan Tucker

Hello, Cortlandian! We truly appreciate your kind words. We do our best to ensure associate morale is above and beyond. Allowing our associates opportunities to further their professional development is one of our top priorities, so we’re glad you feel that you have the chance to excel with us! Our growth as a company is ongoing as well and with that comes learning curves and growing pains, but we’re always striving to improve.

2. 3.0

Value associates more please

Dec 23, 2020 - Leasing Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Love the values they attempt to embrace

Cons

No covid pay unless using vacation hours. No covid pay for a part timers since they don’t get vacation hours. Super low pay for the amount of dedication they expect Not a very good work life balance

4 people found this review helpful

VP of Total Rewards, Lisa Lam

Hey, there. It’s not great to hear that you don’t feel appreciated within your role. We take our core values seriously and have high expectations; however, we always try to recognize associates for their hard work and success. During the pandemic, we were very understanding and flexible of all associates’ situations. Part-time associates do not have Regular Time Off (RTO), but most leadership teams were flexible with granting them with unpaid time off if they were going through a difficult time due to COVID. Thank you for your feedback.

3. Talk anonymously with Consulting India professionals
    4. 1.0

No Balance

Jun 4, 2020 - Leasing Consultant in Farmers Branch, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay, but it's hardly worth it for how much work is asked of us.

Cons

Not much work life balance. Especially after COVID-19. Cortland keeps on adding one new thing after another for us to do. Their standards are high and I appreciate that, but when we don't have the staffing at our community to support the standards that they're asking for. I'm constantly stressed because the higher ups are telling my manager that EVERYTHING is important and then that all comes down to the leasing team and it's completely unrealistic to list EVERYTHING as #1 on the list. Before, it used to be possible to do that when we had a staff large enough to support over 500 units, but now its completely unrealistic to maintain these standards that they are asking for. After talking to a few communities from sister properties they feel the same. It's sad to see how so many of them lost the upbeat spirit they had when they first started here and actually believed in this company.

3 people found this review helpful

EVP of Operations & Facilities, Jonathan Tucker

Hi, there! Thank you for your feedback. Pertaining to the pandemic, everything we implement at our communities is important because our residents’ safety, and your safety is our top priority. We’re aware that being onsite can be stressful at times, but we’re in the business of providing an above and beyond living experience. Also, we care a lot about our associates, so it’s unfortunate to hear that you don’t see recognition or support being given where it should be. We suggest reaching out to your manager or AOM for more information about how to balance priorities and address any concerns!

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great culture but areas for improvement

Feb 16, 2020 - Community Manager in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

The culture is rich and they put forth an effort to host special events for team members. Pay and bonus structure is fair. Community operations like landscaping, waste management, payroll, and training are organized and systematic. Resident events are fully supported and well budgeted. High focus on quality training opportunities. With so many communities coming on board regularly, the opportunity for advancement is high. High focus on customer service. Resident concerns are always addressed quickly.

Cons

Work/life balance is not ideal. Managers are required to complete tasks like lead management and reputation responses 7 days a week. The communities are often understaffed to achieve budgeting goals which can leave team members over extended. The helpdesk/IT assistance often goes unresolved for days up to weeks.

EVP of Operations & Facilities, Jonathan Tucker

Hi! At Cortland, we yearn to provide all associates with the support wherever they may need it. Our sole focus is our residents, which sometimes means working longer days to ensure their experience is nothing less than our Cortland best. With our growth comes growing pains; however, we’ve adapted to guarantee our communities have the resources they need to achieve success. You’re right – Cortland is the place to be if you want to accelerate your career! We provide Cortlandians with a multitude of trainings in their area of interest and certainly reward hard work at every level.

6. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Culture, Poor Flexibility

Feb 14, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The team in the Atlanta CSC is amazing - the culture, in my experience, is open, honest, and positive. There's a feeling that everyone is giving their best, which makes getting things done much more enjoyable. I don't ever feel like I'm doing busywork or working without a shared goal in mind.

Cons

There is no work from home and no option to telecommute, so no ability to schedule a regular work from home day. This would be frustrating anywhere, but traffic in Atlanta is a nightmare - even people that live within 10 miles of the office can spend more an hour and a half commuting every day. A policy this inflexible makes work-life balance more difficult to achieve. I really wish I had a day to work from home each week - instead of a quick walk around the office or to the kitchen to grab coffee when I need a break, I could throw laundry in the dryer, start meal prep, or spend 5-10 minutes picking up after kids. Little breaks that would make a real difference in my stress level day to day. And that's not to mention the benefits of skipping a day in traffic! I do love my colleagues and the day to day at Cortland, though! Not every company is going to be flexible and that's okay. But flexibility/work from home policy is the thing I'd change if I could.

1 person found this review helpful

Chief Operating Officer, Clyde Stutts

Hello! Our culture is something we’re very proud of, and we’re glad you think it‘s as great as we do. We want our work environment to be a place where associates feel comfortable, inspired, and passionate about what they’re doing. We’re always searching for ways to be better, and suggestions are most certainly welcome. As we evolve, a working from home policy could be a future possibility. We try to be flexible with our associates and mindful of personal situations – so please reach out to your supervisor and discuss any concerns to figure out a solution that works best for you! #GrowTogetherAndPlayAsATeam

7. 4.0

Great Company! Great Benefits

Oct 27, 2020 - Leasing Consultant in Orlando, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture , Benefits, Growth, Work life Balance

Cons

Commissions, expectations,regional organization across properties

Director of Operations, Jonathan Denton

Hey, Cortlandian! We’re glad to hear that your journey with us thus far is an overall positive one. As you may know, we truly value our associate morale – so providing unmatched benefits, workplace culture, and growth opportunities is very important to us! We’re always looking for ways to improve and appreciate your feedback.

8. 4.0

Great Growth Culture

Jun 15, 2020 - Leasing Professional in Orlando, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Cortland is a great company to work for and really values company culture and growth. If you desire to, it is completely possible to grow in this company and take on more leadership roles. They recognize good work and will always give you kudos.

Cons

They changed the commission structure for leasing and my pay did go down a bit because of it. They strive for excellence (which isn't always a bad thing) and work life balance can be difficult for anyone on more of a leadership role.

Director of Operations, Jonathan Denton

Hello! It’s true, our culture and growth are both among top priorities for us. Giving our associates the option to further develop their professional skills ultimately helps Cortland as a whole. Although we do have high expectations, we also believe that success should always be rewarded!

9. 5.0

Great company

Apr 16, 2020 - Georgia in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, fair pay, lots of challenges

Cons

Still a growing company and problems that come with that. Work life balance is tough depending on your role.

VP of Talent Acquisition, Ashley Gordon

Hey, Cortlandian! We’re glad you’ve enjoyed your journey with us so far. As you may know, our culture focuses on providing associates with the best possible experience, which means creating a great workplace environment, hiring like-minded people, and rewarding those for hard work. We’ll continue to put faith in new people because we believe recruiting talent from outside the multifamily industry brings in a fresh perspective, and it’s only proven to make Cortland stronger. #LoveWhatYouDoAndLetItShow

10. 5.0

Amazing

Jun 17, 2020 - Community Manager in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing company to grow with. Cortland's culture is one of the best in the industry. We are a family and management invests their time in your growth both personally and professionally.

Cons

Work/life balance can be challenging at times.

Brian Baker, Director of Operations

Hello! You’re right – our award-winning culture sets us apart in the industry and the way we train our associates for their current and future roles only furthers our place as a leader in multifamily. Working onsite comes with special challenges, and finding the best work-life balance for you is one of them. We encourage you to work with your manager to see what solutions are available to you.

11. 5.0

The best of the best

May 21, 2020 - Community Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

people, home work life balance, growth opportunities

Cons

non, they are truly amazing

EVP of Operations & Facilities, Jonathan Tucker

Hey, Cortlandian! We appreciate the positive feedback. As you may know, our main focus is to provide associates with a great overall experience. We achieve this by hiring like-minded people to create a collaborative and fun working environment. With that being said, we also prioritize associates’ professional growth because we care about the people we’re investing in and believe it only makes Cortland stronger. We hope you continue to enjoy your journey with us! #LoveWhatYouDoAndLetItShow

Viewing 1 - 10 of 37 Reviews