Così Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Chicago, IL Area

2.3
R. J. Dourney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good Hours, good food, good amount of breaks (in 8 reviews)

• Good pay is the only pro but not even, They don't reimburse you for the expenses your boss asks you to do (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor support system in upper management (in 5 reviews)

• Long hours and upper management (in 4 reviews)

"It was a great experience"

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Chicago, IL

I worked at Così full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When first started back in 2014, the staff was very friendly!
    My GM made sure I didn't need anymore training or help.
    They really like to cross train and promote their partners.
    I started off as a barista and ended as a shift lead.
    Being a shift lead you really get to lean a lot about your guest as well as your partners.

Cons

They have a completely different management team.
    Their insurance isn't so great.
    If you have a problem with the managers, you have to go directly to HR because district managers won't care.

Advice to Management

Make sure you just show that you love what you do!

"Hell hole"

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Chicago, IL

I worked at Così part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nothing nada zip zero none.

Cons

Flexibility depends on the manager, managers are taken advantage off from cooperate people higher up in the company, hours vary "according" to business, raises are a joke, they only give you a raise yearly because the state mandates it, you have General Managers who are illiterate and cannot operate a simple Windows machine and treat employees worse than a dog, health and insurance are a joke too, many hourly partners don't get paid vacation, unless you worked like a million of years there, when you have cooperate visit the store managers tend to have this stupid as* panic attacks and poop all over their hourly partners because of the pressure they're being placed on them, all their ingredients aren't fresh, half of the stores are dirty and infested in roaches, company doesn't value their employee. Everyone who isn't paid salary are simple pawns. RACISM plays a major factor on the managers too! Horrible company. They're cheap to give over time. Their stupid numbers matter a lot to them and will make any cuts wherever needed, even if it means cutting hours of their employees.

Advice to Management

DON'T TREAT YOUR EMPLOYEES LIKE PAWNS AND CUT THEIR HOURS BECAUSE THEY DON'T MEET YOUR STANDARDS. HR SHOULD BE MORE INVOLVED.

3. "Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Così (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong ceo, committed team. CEO understands the business better than any in a long time. Product is great and getting better.

Cons

Could be too late for a turnaround. HQ move to Boston caused serious brain drain. Previous management saddled the company with really bad leases and bare bones team.

Advice to Management

Focus on talent in HQ and on training for restaurant staff. Spend some money on advertising and try to keep up technologically with Panera.

"Underpays compares to competitors"

Current Employee - Barista in Evanston, IL
    Current Employee - Barista in Evanston, IL

I have been working at Così part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't really think of pros in terms of why I'd chose to work here over its competitors like Starbucks or Panera. I guess the friendly co-workers, but that can vary.

Cons

-Underpaid
    -It's a corporation so individual locations have to adhere to what corporate wants even if you think things could be done better at your location.
    -No free meal and espresso drinks every shift like the competitors offer

Advice to Management

Stop trying to squeeze every penny out of the people who make your business possible, the workers.

5. "general manager"

Current Employee - General Manager (GM) in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - General Manager (GM) in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Così (Less than a year)

Pros

salary is a big bump from regular pay.

Cons

hiring is impossible in the area requiring me to work extra shifts and days

Advice to Management

Know people who are looking for jobs because outside hiring is impossible in this area

6. "Worst job I ever had"

Former Employee - Oven Line in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Oven Line in Chicago, IL

I worked at Così full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If your really determined and willing you have a strong chance at moving up in the company. You can really learn a lot at cosi.

Cons

You will be living pay check to pay check. You have the opportunity to move up. Just the pay is not good. I was full time and still couldn't make it. But that is majority of restaurants.

Advice to Management

Treat employees equal. Don't be a friend one minute and a snake next. Keep it professional.

7. "Cosi needs to provide more support to its Department Heads."

Former Employee - Director of Construction and Facilities in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Director of Construction and Facilities in Chicago, IL

I worked at Così (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company has great people, who care a lot about the business and really want it to succeed.

Cons

Not a good life balance. Had no support and asked to work too many hours.
    The companies sales are not positive.

Advice to Management

Provide more support to specific departments. So the Directors can actually direct and focus on improvement and not just maintaining statuesque.

"Discount at their restaurants will be your greatest perk"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deerfield, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deerfield, IL

I worked at Così full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a good place for someone just starting out in business. There isn't really any room for professional growth but if you need experience to put on your resume for the next phase of your career, this place will at least be a paycheck while you look for "the next big thing."

Cons

The company and management ask for you to give 100% of yourself but don't give their employees anything in return. Don't expect to go anywhere though - this isn't a place where you can climb a ladder. The business isn't run very well. Employees at their restaurants aren't very happy and don't like the Corporate office. It can makes working at the Corporate office tense at times.

Advice to Management

When an employee shows a little initiative, encourage them. I have never worked for a company that punished me so much for wanting to actually do my job well. And when I had some free time because I was done with my job and tried to help out someone else in my department who looked like they could use the help, I got in trouble for that too. Also, try hiring people who are actually qualified to do their jobs. Just because someone has a degree in a field doesn't mean that they are qualified for the job. When someone with 20 years of experience and no degree is correcting the college grad's work because it caused major problems, don't tell the experienced person that they are wrong for wanting to fix the error. No wonder your company can't make money.

9. "Good company, trying to be a national brand"

Former Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Così full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/life balance was good, employees were great, atmosphere good

Cons

Bonuses were non existent, no matter what they say when you interview. Corporate is a little out of touch with the stores but they are trying to make it better

Advice to Management

Cut out the stores that are underachieving or replace the managers who are so set in their ways. it is not helping the company.

10. "Moving to Boston, given less than 3 weeks notice"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Così full-time

Pros

Stores are isolated from the corporate mess. Work at a store for more security.

Cons

Obviously, the upcome closure and move to Boston. Higher cost of living, and little incentive to go. I don't think management wants any of the existing staff.

Advice to Management

Get it together; make decisions and have PLAN for what you do, oh COMMUNICATE.