Cost Cutters Reviews | Glassdoor

Cost Cutters CEO Dan Hanrahan
Dan Hanrahan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Minimum wage, no opportunity to gain product knowledge" (in 4 reviews)

• "Salons are open seven days a week, and are always short staffed" (in 3 reviews)

1. "stylist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minden, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minden, NV

I have been working at Cost Cutters part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

hair styling, working, cleaning, making money and friends

Cons

not enough money, not enough breaks , needs to pay workers more than mim. wage.

Advice to Management

none

2. "Great staff"

Former Employee - Cosmetologist in Sauk City, WI
    Former Employee - Cosmetologist in Sauk City, WI

I worked at Cost Cutters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The staff is great to work next to and the scheduling is flexible!

Cons

Insurance benefits are not affordable and coverage is poor. It’s a corporation and they put more emphasis on retail sales than a quality haircut.

Advice to Management

Provide more time for services, in order to provide a better experience for your clients.

3. "Cost Cutter's"

Current Employee - Cosmetologist
    Current Employee - Cosmetologist

I have been working at Cost Cutters part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Guaranteed money, Flexibility, tips are okay

Cons

Shipments are sparse. Always out of color and product. Have to supply your own tools.

Advice to Management

Alot to improve

4. "Poor ownership"

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Stoneham, MA
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Stoneham, MA

I worked at Cost Cutters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discount on products BUT you end up paying more for the products then going to Salon Centric.
    Good location.

Cons

The owners are horrible heartless people that are out to just make money. They do not care if you can do a haircut or not. Your skills or clients you bring in the salon doesn’t matter. They also don’t care if your license is expired. They let operators illegally stay in the salon alone. No benefits, no competitive pay- everything is a lie. I was hired technically as a full time employee. When I went to take my first vacation day I was told I was full time but was not allowed to receive benefits except sick time since I wasn’t a manager which I never got to use either. They staff the salon with the minimal amount of employees so no one can get sick and if they do they still have to come to work. They own many cost cutters and smart styles and because minimum wage went up (I still never got minimum wage once the entire time I was with the company which was on & off since 2013) they cut hours to compensate for the money they lost. There were girls working everyday open to close (management) but they wouldn’t pay them overtime. Hours get changed. The salon closes at 8pm & they expect us to be punched out at 8pm even if there are still clients being serviced. If we didn’t, they would punch us out or change the time clock. Insurance covers nothing and is ridiculously expensive especially when they don’t pay their employees. Put it this way, we were all eligible for Mass Health even though we were full time (30-34 hours a week). Everyone’s hours were cut. I went from 5 days a week to 2 days a week but when they needed something they expect you to drop everything and go into work. Things have only got worse since 4 people (including me) left the salon in a matter of days. The salon is extremely outdated. No working vacuum , stains all over rugs. Sinks & chairs are over 10 years old. The sinks are constantly clogged. It’s embarrassing. The mens room is supposed to be handicap accessible but the seat is lose and my elderly client fell one time. I made them well aware. Seat is still lose. The place itself looks filthy because everything is over a decade old. Overworked, underpaid and under appreciated!

Advice to Management

Fix the salon and the way you treat your employees. We aren’t your children. You can not get in someones face and shush them. You can’t text someone on their day off and say “you need to plan accordingly and get to the salon right away”. People have children and other things going on. Should’ve thought of that before cutting hours. Sell it to someone that would do great things with that salon. It’s at a great location!

"Stoneham Ma"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Stoneham, MA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Stoneham, MA

I worked at Cost Cutters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discounts on Products
    Good size salon

Cons

Worst owner I have ever had the pleasure of working for. They tell you they have competitive pay, that they offer health insurance. That they appreciate their employees.

They don’t.

All they want is a body in the salon. They don’t care what qualifications you have. They illegally have people working for them with expired cosmetology licenses. Also employees who are not class 1 that are working by themselves.

All they care about is if you can work everyday for them but be careful not to go over 40 hours or they’ll not pay you overtime. They punch you out if you are staying too late cleaning or finishing a client.

Salon is always cold.
    The heat is timed and shuts off before they close.

The owner in Stoneham specifically will not buy a vacuum to clean the storefront. Also when problems with the sinks arise, he drops of a bottle of Draino and says there’s your plumber.

They pressure stylist into uncomfortable conversations when they decide to put there two weeks in. The turn over is huge because of one reason. The ownership. Clearly they don’t want to see that it’s them.

Do yourself a favor and keep walking, which is unfortunate because majority of the stylist are nice women.

Advice to Management

Sell it to someone who cares about there professional reputation.

6. "Stylist"

I worked at Cost Cutters part-time

Pros

Flexible schedule and many walkins.

Cons

Didn't like environment or salon .

7. "Good"

I worked at Cost Cutters full-time

Pros

Everything was good no complaints

Cons

Nothing to complain about at all.

8. "Horrible"

Former Employee - Stylist in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Stylist in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Cost Cutters (Less than a year)

Pros

If you dislike structure and enjoy being responsible for yourself and not working in a team oriented environment, the company name brings in clients allowing your success.

Cons

Management was untrained, inappropriate with clients, and rude. None of the company's policies were implemented and I watched hours of training videos. Very dirty. Stylists would sweep hair into the corners of the salon, and gossip none stop to each other and clients. Equipment was old, dirty, and broken.

Advice to Management

Management needs to be held accountable and take responsibility for their salon and employees. Stylist need to be accountable for cleanliness and work with company guidelines.

9. "Ability to use license and build clientele without renting a chair."

Former Employee - Cosmetologist in Freeport, IL
    Former Employee - Cosmetologist in Freeport, IL

I worked at Cost Cutters part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hourly pay even on slow days. Build your clientele and use skill set.

Cons

Sat around on slow days. Penalized for not meeting quotas.

Advice to Management

Many people left because it became less about the customers and more about money coming in.

10. "Cannot get full time hours"

I have been working at Cost Cutters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is great. Will really go out of the way to keep you employeed. Ok benefits, vacation, but pro rated

Cons

Hired as full time, only in winter and will ove work you. Cannot live off of hours that are cut as soon as winter is over. Never get a raise, ever!!!

Advice to Management

Do not hire and promise full time to later cut hours where one cannot live off of. Than risk termination of job if seeking other employment. not fair.