Cost Plus Reviews in Fairfax, VA | Glassdoor

Cost Plus President, CEO, and Director Barry J. Feld
Barry J. Feld
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Benefits, employee discount, cool products (in 92 reviews)

• New products from around the world arriving every week (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Not enough working hours for part-time (in 43 reviews)

• World Market is pulling the profit weight for the whole conglomerate (pressure (in 41 reviews)

"Interesting Environment"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Cost Plus part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Colleagues were interesting and came from very diverse backgrounds. Likewise, the customers were mostly international and/or conscious of global affairs, so they were interesting to speak with and assist—if you speak more than one or two languages, you could have fun with that, too, and invite international customers to come again soon (and they have!).

ALSO, the employee discounts were amazing! I really took advantage of that for my candle collection ;-)

Cons

Membership sign-ups were the main negative aspect with working at World Market! I would always have to slip it into a conversation when dealing with customers on the floor, or especially at the register. Sales Associates must have a certain percentage of sign-ups per day (in a 6-hour shift, I often get around 4-5 new sign-ups). It gets easier with time, but if a customer isn't a member and doesn't wish to become one (or if the line is too long or if everyone is in a hurry), actual members won't bother even entering their phone number (which functions as their membership ID), so we (the sales associates) lose points. In a way, most of our sign ups have to do with: (1) sheer luck, (2) time of day, (3) connecting well with certain customers, and (4) how well we can pitch the member benefits and slip it into the conversation—you need to be smooth and confident!

"Good benefits"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Cost Plus part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits if you're full time and good pay. Not the busiest store and customers are generally good to work with

Cons

Management is unwilling to help employees and would rather have a high turnover of workers. Upper management is very protective of store managers and don't like to get a lot done in terms of HR

"Could be a good and fun job if Management were a little more hands on"

Former Employee - Lead Supervisor in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Lead Supervisor in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Cost Plus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The staff of associates was a great team in which to work. The clientele were mostly friendly. There was a lot of hard work to be done, but the team worked together to complete tasks.

Cons

You are made to feel that you could be easily replaced. We lost a manager, probably the best I had ever worked with, because of personality conflicts and the way that they got rid of her was appalling.

Advice to Management

Spend more time on the floor and less time in the office

"Casual atmosphere, but hard work."

Current Employee - Supervisor in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Cost Plus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Busy, casual atmosphere, store offers great selection of merchandise

Cons

the only way to obtain a livable salary is to become a Store Manager. Difference between hard working supervisors and store managers is vast. Lots of hard physical work and demanding customers. Lack of direction from corporate headquarters. Very little employee recognition.

Advice to Management

Establish consistency in corporate directions. Establish a better salary structure.Corporate decision makers seem to have no idea what it is like to work in a store.