Cost Plus Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Cost Plus President, CEO, and Director Barry J. Feld
Barry J. Feld

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Benefits, employee discount, cool products (in 92 reviews)

• New products from around the world arriving every week (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Not enough working hours for part-time (in 43 reviews)

• World Market is pulling the profit weight for the whole conglomerate (pressure (in 41 reviews)

1. "cost plus"

Current Employee - Associate in Chico, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in Chico, CA

Pros

i really like the people that worked there

Cons

working in the morning was no bueno

Advice to Management

do more fun things at work

2. "A Great Store"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Omaha, NE

Pros

Very fun place to work. Lots of fun merchandise. Customers love to shop merchandise from the other countries. Best company I have ever worked for!

Cons

They closed all the stores in Omaha, so we all lost our jobs. I don't have any complaints for the way our Omaha store was run. Supervisor rate of pay could be higher for all the responsibilities they have.

Advice to Management

Open up another Cost Plus World Market in Omaha!

3. "Great company that respects each employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Pros

promote within
    management down the communication is clear - employees are the companies biggest asset
    from top down core values have stayed true - offer customers unique, affordable products with excellent customer service

Cons

Having more corporate and store communication would be great
    Encouraging employees within cross-functional teams to work together even more than what is currently happening

Advice to Management

From being in the stores to working in the corporate office over many years - I have enjoyed the clear message that has not changed even as the company has grown. Keep up the great work valuing your employees through great benefits and opportunities for professional growth.

4. "Strong performance leads to growth and opportunities to leverage your talents and interests ."

Pros

Fosters a creative and entrepreneurial spirit
    Empowers individuals in a supportive team environment.
    Respects and implements ideas from all levels
    Very diverse employee and customer base
    Nimble company means there is never a dull moment.
    Fun stores

Cons

You can probably make a little more money at a bigger company in a similar position.
    If your expectation is that achieving management level means you just tell other people what to do, you will not last long. Cost Plus runs fairly lean and maintains a relatively flat organizational structure. That means everyone is going to roll up their sleeves.
    Being part of a nimble and entrepreneurial company is exciting, however, you need to be very comfortable with change. If you want to know what to expect every day, this is not for you.

Advice to Management

Too many people still don't know we exist. Many others have a very narrow and often inaccurate idea of who we are and what we offer. To know us is to love us. Let's get the word out!

"Proud to work for a company that encourages professional growth and respects work/life balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Pros

-the product!
    -senior management (the leadership is accessible with a significant presence in the field; also, transparency and frequency of communiction)
    -fiscal responsibility
    -diversity of employees
    -company culture
    -mentorship

Cons

Not so much cons, more so opportunities for the future:
    -more structured training for store employees on product knowledge and selling skills
    -increased hours in the stores to dedicate to customer service
    -the company could benefit to message the authenticity and uniqueness of the merchandise more (how it is developed, where it comes from, what lasting relationships the company has forged with artisans, suppliers and vendors around the world over the years and decades)

Advice to Management

Throughout the company's turnaround the senior management team has been forthright, direct and transparent in conveying the challenges, opportunities, performance and future direction of the company to the employees - this is what is so great about the culture of the company and has built a tremendous amount of loyalty. Keep it up!

6. "A one of a kind work environment that reaches beyond the borders"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tucson, AZ

Pros

Cost Plus World Market carries products that are hand-made, unique, exceptional quality, and out of the ordinary. The variety of products come from all over the world and the profits help support the men and women who made it all. There is furniture, food, wine, house decor, clothing, jewelry and so much more that it is never boring, there is always something to do, and if you get along well with your team, then it will be a very enjoyable experience. This is a great company with many opportunities for growth from within, and they promote this notion all the time.

Cons

If you are a part-time employee you will not be eligible for benefits or paid time off. You must be a "part-time over" employee to be eligible to gain partial benefits and to begin accruing vacation time.

"My career with Cost Plus has been very rewarding watching so many people grow making the company a part of their life"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA

Pros

The positive culture of the company is one that very few companies possess. The culture allows for direct, open and honest discussions continually looking for ways to improve the strength of the organization while doing what is right.
    The company has so much to offer. You may start out as an hourly team member, or leader, working in a store, corporate office, or distribution center and have the desire and skills to work in any area of the company. You can further your career with promotions staying with the company for many years. The distribution centers are proof of a fun and exciting culture with a significant number of employees having more than 10 and up to 20 years of service who have worked in many different areas making a significant positive impact on the overall success of the company. The executive team appreciates their employees being open and honest when times were tough and keeping promises as the business is becoming strong again. Our stores are so fun to shop in with products from all over the world. Knowing we brought these goods through our centers and helped in getting these to the stores makes our job very fulfilling. I’ve worked for the company for more than 15 years and wouldn’t want to work anywhere else. If you want the opportunity to work for a company that truly appreciates their employees, Cost Plus is the place

Cons

When the economy took a downward turn, our CEO, Barry Feld, was very honest about the state of our company. He made some very tough decisions to keep the company around for years to come. With those decisions, some of the benefits we enjoyed for so many years were removed until we could become profitable again. With hard work from all employee our company is showing positive signs and we look forward to continuing to get many of those benefits back.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to the employees and providing a great culture with open and honest feedback. I appreciate the hard work our executive team has done keeping us from being another one of those companies that closed down and look forward to growth in years to come. Thank You

"What a Ride!!! 10+ Years of Employment with this Dynamic Company!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Pros

At the end of 2005 Cost Plus began what I would consider a pivotal positive shift in culture and reconnecting with our brand/customers. Thankfully our new Senior Management team began the process of weeding out toxic people/behaviors and turning the culture around internally. 6 years later I feel like we have best in class management and work force here in our Corporate Headquaters. I have several reasons why I like working here but I will narrow it down to 2...

Open Door Policy
    Really Good People/Team

Everyones door is open... you can easily walk into the CEO or anyone of the management team with whatever idea, feedback or complaint you may have and feel respected and listened too. Our voices count...

At the end of the day you know that productive confrontation and collaberation equal team members that trust one another too keep raising the bar... This makes for a hardworking team with a common goal who really get along and make positive change.

I feel like I have worked for two different comapnies in the last 10+ years... the first five years were so dysfunctional under different leadership. I am so glad I listened to my gut when I heard Barry speak for the first time... he has never lied, created spin or seperated himself from the team... since that first day... he says what he means and means what he says.

Cons

The culture of accountability can be intimidating if you are not use to it...

The retail environment is also fast paced and can change daily. It does require at times acts of selflessness.

Advice to Management

I have seen the positive changes in the Merchant/IM/IT/DC/Marketing/Ecom areas over the last 5+ years. I really see the focus shifting to Stores and Visual.. Old legacy practices are still alive in Stores and Visual. The more these areas are focused to collaborate with the rest of the company and break away from legacy practices the sooner we will have all engines firing.

"Still happy after all these years!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Pros

After 15+ years with the company I continue to enjoy my job every day. I appreciate and applaud the company for continuing to have an "open door" policy where you are provided the opportunity to voice your opinions and suggestions. Whether you are new to the job or have been around as long as I have, you are given the opportunity to be heard.

I think the current direction of our product assortment has never been better and our prices are competitive. I enjoy spending time in our stores and the added incentive of receiving an employee discount on my purchases is a great benefit.

Cons

We do not have a training program for new employees. I feel strongly that we could better support our new hires by having a designated trainor as well as a manual documenting all procedures needed to accomplish their job.

Advice to Management

I suggest the company implement a structured training program for new employees. This training should include some type of manual that can be referenced as needed.

10. "They gave me great work experience and opportunities for growth."

Former Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Oakland, CA

Pros

Great work environment
    Diverse workforce
    Flexibility
    Good opportunities to make or create institutional change and or provide input
    Responsive to the needs of employees
    Great incentives and packages for mid and senior level employees

Cons

opportunities for improvement in systems and processes
    opportunities for creating more incentives to retain entry level employees
    Interdepartmental relationships and synergy could be improved

Advice to Management

Create more soft incentives to retain entry level employees.
    institutionalize processes that increase synergy and interdepartmental cooperation
    Invest in systems upgrades