Cost Plus Reviews | Glassdoor

Cost Plus Reviews

Updated April 28, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Benefits, employee discount, cool products (in 90 reviews)

• New products from around the world arriving every week (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • part time regardless of work ethic (in 41 reviews)

• World Market is pulling the profit weight for the whole conglomerate (pressure (in 39 reviews)

"Terrible place to work if you are an adult"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at Cost Plus part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Works with schedule if you have a second job or school. Great employee discount

Cons

No room to move up. Lazy management. Lack of interest by management if you are not a supervisor or department head. Does not train.

Advice to Management

If you are going to hire young people just out of high school you might want to think about training them. In my 20 years of retail I have never worked for a manager that was this lazy.

"Cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cost Plus part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a good first job

Cons

The management is awful from corporate

Advice to Management

That you should get better with communicating with employees

"Poor Staffing"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

The products are awsome. The customers are great. The stuff they sell is really high quality. Pay is iaght.

Cons

Managment is a joke. The workers and management accusations without the GM investing, especially if your black. They will fire u in a heart beat no matter if you right. The Spanish word is god.

Advice to Management

Diversity, Maturity and experience is key to a successful business.

"I would leave if I had another opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR

I have been working at Cost Plus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun emoloyees and awesome product

Cons

Upper managments thought processing, triple work

Advice to Management

Unless you enjoy being micro managed dont do it

6. "Great"

Current Employee - Crew in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Crew in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cost Plus full-time

Pros

They are a great company!

Cons

Nothing bad to say about the company.

"Good employer, some bad customers"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Katy, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Katy, TX

I worked at Cost Plus part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay for non-congruent qualifications.
    Good hours if you're willing to work overnight on setups.
    Gives you some good experience in sales and retail, and you can definitely get better at the schmooze if you teach yourself about particular products or departments (especially the international food and drinks section).
    Customers from other countries will be incredibly grateful if you are knowledgeable about, and can locate their hard-to-find import items for them.

Cons

Depending on the location, clientele can be...'challenging.' Customers can range between annoying and oblivious to your assistance, to telling you to die in a fire for refusing to break company safety policy for them. There have been some spitters.
    Many customers will come in expecting you to be their personal servant, and will try to push you as much as possible. I've been asked to hold their things, hold their kids, call *competitors* to locate similar products, and been berated for limited items being out of stock nationally. Some folks just can't take "I'm afraid we stopped making that five years ago, but I can find something similar" for an answer.
    Holidays are especially hell, since the store does so much of it's sales in the last quarter, and customers get desperate.
    Major dependence on signing people up for the rewards program, but low signups result in punitive rather than incentive actions.
    On-call shifts are not fun, no two ways about it.

Advice to Management

Stick up a bit more publicly for associates who are dealing with truly heinous customers.

"Cold-hearted"

Former Employee - Cashier/Stock in North Canton, OH
    Former Employee - Cashier/Stock in North Canton, OH

I worked at Cost Plus part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The staff was friendly and easy to work with. I honestly really enjoyed working there and had hope to continue for a long time. Since I liked my job I worked very hard and constantly picked up shifts and extra hours. Although within the short time I worked there several people quit so that should have been a huge red flag. The interview process was easy and the training was simple.

Cons

The management lied to me and publicly embarrassed me. I was hired on as a seasonal employee part time, while I had regular employment elsewhere. I was getting more hours at world market ,so all three managers told me to quit my other job because I'll stay there after season. Then the day before Christmas Eve while in the break room with other employees a manger informed me Christmas Eve would be my last day. So I was fired in front of other employees the day before Christmas Eve after being reassured my job was secure and I had left my other job. I also had four hours left on my shift so after being fired I then had to hold back my tears and humiliation and smile for the next four hours. They then had the guts to ask me to stay late since they were short staffed! She used the excuse ALL the seasonal people were leaving per the companies choice. Only for me to find out NO not ALL the seasonal employees were fired. I never got an explanation as to why I was let go when the Season wasn't even over until Jan.1. Just for back ground I worked 40 plus hours a week and was never late. I constantly picked up extra shifts since people quit. I'm not delusional I know I was a great employee since I was seasonal you have to go beyond to impress and I had been reassured many time I was amazing. And the manager who fired me in a public setting wasn't even the store manager or hr manger, she as I was told didn't like "hurting people feelings" so she was making the other manager do it. Very professional.

Advice to Management

Man up and don't lie to the employees who bust their rump working overtime and kick them to the curb with no warning the day before Christmas. This is a company with no warmth or regard for their employees. I should have been warned that when the season was over I would be let go and given time to search for other employment since they told me to quit my other job.

"Nice People, Terrible Management"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Cost Plus part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people you work with in the store are all very nice and friendly

Cons

The company doesn't care about anyone, everyone is just a number and payroll is evil to them

Advice to Management

Pay employees more fairly
    Give more reliable hours

10. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Sunland, CA
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Sunland, CA

I have been working at Cost Plus part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great introduction to retail. Knowledgeable team willing to help with anything you may need help with. Flexible scheduling, perfect for students or people looking for a part-time job.

Cons

They only hire part-time so if you are looking to get 40+ hours a week this is not the job for you.

"Solid company"

Former Employee - Inventory Management Analyst in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Inventory Management Analyst in Oakland, CA

I worked at Cost Plus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great team to work with. Great boss.
    - Good pay

Cons

- Very fast paced environment
    - Old building wasn't very nice. New building in Alameda is much better

Advice to Management

- Improve training opportunities