Cost Plus Reviews | Glassdoor

Cost Plus Reviews

Updated March 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Benefits, employee discount, cool products (in 90 reviews)

• New products from around the world arriving every week (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • part time regardless of work ethic (in 41 reviews)

• World Market is pulling the profit weight for the whole conglomerate (pressure (in 39 reviews)

"Amazing Team Dynamics"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I have been working at Cost Plus (Less than a year)

Pros

A job is only as good as the people you work with and from the minute I walked into World Market in Mayfield Heights I felt welcome. I felt even more welcome when I started working! Staci, the Store Manager at this location has a rare gift for hiring wonderful like-minded people. The whole team gets along so well and its like walking into a family. Its a part-time retail job so pay is low and the work is fairly menial but its easy, enjoyable and you can learn as much as you want. During downtime, you quickly learn to read schematics and are involved in stocking. They are quick to trust you with responsibilities. The culture is great, my mom suddenly went into the hospital and when I called the same day to say I could not come in I did not receive any grief like I would have at my other retail job. They understand family is important and only offered support instead of passive aggressive silence. I came on as seasonal and begged to be kept on, luckily she was able to keep me and I couldn't be happier! Hopefully soon I will move on to full-time work but am hoping I'll be able to maintain any kind of employment here.

Cons

The computers for the POS systems are 30 years old and the store/company feels a little dated but if that's all I can think of to complain about, I'll take it!

Advice to Management

Keep it up, everyone is great! Thank you so much.

"it's OK..."

Current Employee - Corporate in Alameda, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate in Alameda, CA

I have been working at Cost Plus full-time

Pros

casual atmosphere, sample sales are fun

Cons

passive aggressive/finger pointing culture, not much room for growth, not a lot of care about work life balance

3. "Customer service associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arden, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arden, NC

I have been working at Cost Plus part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible with schedule and work with my needs

Cons

Can be physically demanding at times

"Have a tough skin!"

I worked at Cost Plus part-time

Pros

The discounts were okay. They are part of Bed, Bath, and Beyond, and Buy Buy Baby, so you can use your employee discount at any of these establishments. The merchandise is unique and you also get a discount off wine! The co-workers I had just kept to themselves, so there was no drama. The atmosphere was pleasant.

Cons

The assistant manager I mostly worked with did not have any people skills. He was rude, swore in front of the customers, and made me cry. I've worked in retail for since I was 16, I'm 43 now, and no one has ever made me cry, but this guy cut me down in front of my family. I quit shortly thereafter. I did handle myself professionally in that I spoke to him face to face, but he gave me the cold shoulder afterwards.

Advice to Management

Make sure your management team knows how to train, have people skills, and know it's not okay to swear in front of the customers.

"Temp Supervisor"

I have been working at Cost Plus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good experience to move into retail or even gain management experience. At times have opportunities to work at other job sites, though it is extremely rare and limited.

Cons

Senior management's communication can be very misdirected, what someone that barely every comes in to stores to see says one thing and staff in store are told to forget what the other said.

Advice to Management

Work on communication and work on how to promote more often or make more opportunities.

"Okay company"

I worked at Cost Plus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers, good management team, discount, and hours.

Cons

You probably won't move up quickly, even if you're a strong worker.

Advice to Management

We often did mot have enough people working a shift. Which would lead to even more stress on top of the holidays.

"Sales associate"

Current Employee - Interior Design Consultant in Shrewsbury, NJ
    Current Employee - Interior Design Consultant in Shrewsbury, NJ

I have been working at Cost Plus part-time

Pros

Friendly staff fast-paced moving environment love the uniqueness of the products that are sold in this business and meeting people with different cultures

Cons

Downside of this job is a lot of work heavy lifting High sales in and no commission. Your hours are always up and down it seems like you don't get any consideration when you put in hard honest work and do everything that is asked of you and go beyond that and it makes no difference

Advice to Management

Respect the accomplishments for a sales associate and don't overlook their abilities or other talents they show. If you have an associate that shows all these abilities and has produced and made sales for the store. Advancing them.

"Overworked and undervalued"

Current Employee - Associate Buyer in Alameda, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Buyer in Alameda, CA

I have been working at Cost Plus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

New office in great location. Some travel involved if you have the opportunity. Buyers do product development. Good for entry level, more leaning opportunities. Coworkers are supportive through internal and external challenges.

Cons

Long hours, no clear vision, unrealistic expectations, little respect for people's time. Poor communication. Work/life balance is nonexistent and not encouraged. Hard for working families.

Advice to Management

Get it together. Learn to communicate. Respect employees and improve talent retention

"Undervalued - High Stress"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Cost Plus (More than 3 years)

Pros

You meet some great people.
    Unique merchandise
    Discount is good

Cons

Upper management only cares about numbers NOT about the employee who works hard for the company.

Company will not back you up if there is a customer complaint.

Not enough employees to manage work load and customer service

Lack of communication

Breaks and lunches can be given way past the time limit and some times you do not get your break. Taking time off when sick discouraged.

Unrealistic goals for the World Market WME program.

Favoritism

Lots of whispering and secrets

High turnover

Schedules are made a week in advance you have no work- life balance.

Not enough training is given. They expect you to figure it out on your own.

Advice to Management

It is terrible when the company does not see what really goes on at the store level. Look closer at what is really happening. You just might find out what is really going on and why the turn over with employees is happening. You are losing good employees that go above and beyond in all aspects to your competitors.

"Terrible place to work if you are an adult"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at Cost Plus part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Works with schedule if you have a second job or school. Great employee discount

Cons

No room to move up. Lazy management. Lack of interest by management if you are not a supervisor or department head. Does not train.

Advice to Management

If you are going to hire young people just out of high school you might want to think about training them. In my 20 years of retail I have never worked for a manager that was this lazy.