Cost Plus Reviews | Glassdoor

Cost Plus Reviews

Updated October 14, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Benefits, employee discount, cool products (in 96 reviews)

• New products from around the world arriving every week (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Not enough working hours for part-time (in 43 reviews)

• World Market is pulling the profit weight for the whole conglomerate (pressure (in 43 reviews)

1. "Sales Associate"

I worked at Cost Plus part-time

Pros

Management let us have a lot of creative freedom when it came to setting up the displays

Cons

High turnover rate and the warehouse was difficult to maneuver

"Job was okay--toxic corporate culture was not."

Former Employee - Home Department Lead
    Former Employee - Home Department Lead

I worked at Cost Plus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generally start pay above minimum wage, there's always something to do, room to move up, full time positions come with medical benefits and PTO, flexible scheduling.

Cons

Obviously every location is different. However, CPWM is a company that values non-action, so if you have a supervisor or GM that treats associates inappropriately and create a hostile work environment, don't expect anything to be done about it, neither by HR nor district management. Don't be surprised if they treat you like you're overreacting by reporting it, either. Turnover in certain stores is high and this has almost everything to do with it.

Smaller points: Hours for part-time can be spotty until peak season, staff is small and supervisors are often stuck on register during peak hours, holiday blackout starts in September now (???), corporate "focus" constantly changes and tends to muddy focus in-store, pressure to sign customers up for free rewards program is ridiculous, little time is given to supervisors to reset departments when the resets have little wiggle room and short deadlines.

Advice to Management

Give your stores the time, resources and breathing room to function on a basic level. Value your lower-level employees that work hard and treat them with respect. Hold your general managers accountable, and give them the ability to hold their supervisors accountable. And for god's sake, stop with the mid-century furniture, it looks like it belongs in a dentist's office.

"General Manager Feedback"

Former Employee - General Manager in Daly City, CA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Daly City, CA

I worked at Cost Plus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company will put a lot of time into your personal development as long as you show that you are passionate about what you do. I had a great DM who went out of her way to make sure I had all the tools necessary to be successful in my role.

Cons

All of the floor sets were done off hours so you may have to work a few overnighters, especially during peak season.

Advice to Management

Take care of and respect your team. People work for people, not companies.

4. "Gourmet Head/Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Gourmet Department Head in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Gourmet Department Head in Durham, NC

I worked at Cost Plus full-time

Pros

-The employee staff was great and easy to get along with
    -The pay wages given were very fair and reasonable based on how hard you were willing to work
    -The organization of the company schedule and position placement was tremendous and very open for change when needed
    -The general manager was very understandable and willing to work and train those with less experience and gave great guidance for beginners in the company such as myself who had no experience

Cons

-The fact that it was retail made the job a little tough
    -The company's tolerance for freight in the store became overwhelming at times

Advice to Management

Not sure what ti tell management that I haven't worked with in a while because I know things have changed since I was employed with the company but when I was there I enjoyed myself as it was my first retail job and with so much responsibility.

"Great first job for beginner retail manager. Not much room for anything else."

Former Employee - Supervisor in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Portland, OR

I worked at Cost Plus full-time

Pros

You will work with an amazing part-time staff that will truly have your back if you need them. I've made life long friends in fellow supervisors. It's a great place for beginner retail management candidates to get their feet wet and learn the business.

Cons

Lack of belief in their supervisors, extremely unsteady schedule (even for retail), favoritism of upper management will end up with you being liked one minute and not so much the next depending on their mood and low pay.

Advice to Management

Give your existing talent that has remained loyal for years the opportunity to move up based on skills and not popularity. You keep overlooking internal candidates who love their jobs and the company for outside management that turns over so rapidly that you have supervisors training General Managers who they outlast.

"Bittersweet"

Former Employee - Manager in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Southlake, TX

I worked at Cost Plus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company has very cool products, always changing and staying up to date with styles and trends.

Cons

Sometimes upper management is terrible but puts on a nice front for the district managers and gets away with treating staff like dirt. They used to give the individual stores a lot of say as to displays and what works for that particular location. That changed a year or so ago, and now each store is a cookie cutter and looks identical. No originality or uniqueness anymore.

Advice to Management

Listen to the veterans of the company. If someone has been there for 3+ years, listen to what they have to say, don't listen to someone who has 0 retail experience and just started the company over the veteran employee. Also, stop changing the floor sets so often. It's not only impossible for the stores to keep up with the changes, it's also extremely frustrating for customers that want to shop. You have no idea how many people get frustrated and leave because the olive oil they've been buying for 3 years has been moved 9586 times.

7. "Great Company, but Little Room for Growth"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Cost Plus part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work/Life Balance, Fun Work Environment

Cons

Hard to move up and little to no benefits

"Cashier"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Cost Plus part-time

Pros

interesting products and easy place to work

Cons

minimum wage, old facility, pay for hours sometimes went missing

"First Retail Job Great Experience"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Cost Plus part-time

Pros

Coworkers are nice
    People that come are typically friendly
    Pay was above minimum wage

Cons

Certain managers can be rude and unhelpful
    Always doing something whether it be stocking, cash register, or helping a customer

Advice to Management

Treat employees nicer

"Work on treating your employees better"

Former Employee - Point of Sale Coordinator
    Former Employee - Point of Sale Coordinator

I worked at Cost Plus part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The store had fun things and the cashiers were awesome to work with. I wish I had more good things to say.

Cons

Supervisors and managers very cliquey, management does not care about your outside life, corporate doesn't care and has no idea what they are doing, the company stopped giving vacation time to department heads, they won't replace the registers, theft is a huge problem, within the store as well, benefits are awful, harassment is not taken seriously, I could go on.

Advice to Management

Less office politics, it's a retail job