Costco Wholesale Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9

4,227 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The pay and benefits are the best part about working at costco (in 335 reviews)

• Overall a great company great benefits (in 644 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of hours unless you're full time (in 211 reviews)

• They say they don't work with other jobs schedules so if you're looking for part time like I was they will give you a hard time (in 187 reviews)

"Real Pros and Cons"

Current Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very affordable high quality health insurance benefits even for PT employees. Great for working parents who split up child care and need coverage. The key to succeeding at Costco is to work hard, have a good attitude and be nice to people. It's hard work and fasted paced, you have to be down for that to succeed.

Cons

At this warehouse you are required to work 5 days per week, even if you are PT at 24 or so hours. This means lots of 4-5 hour shifts rather than fewer 8 hour shifts which is tough for those who commute a long distance to work or have to cover day care.

Advice to Management

Allow the PT staff at 24/hours per week or so to work 4/6 hour shifts or 3/8 hour shifts rather than 4 and 5 hour shifts. it gets expensive for those who commute a long distance to work or have to cover day care.

"Pros and Cons"

Current Employee - Front End Assistant in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Front End Assistant in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits - You qualify for health benefits as a part-time employee within three months. Medical and dental are both through Aetna, and it is $23 per paycheck. Generic prescriptions start at $3 for 30 day supply.

Continuous raises - In employee handbook you will know when you will get a raise, which is every 1040 hours. Every new employee starts at the bottom of the payscale, so you are not paid for how much you are liked, rather your time given. The employee handbook will tell you how much others make in each department as well as supervisor pay levels. Employees working that have worked over 12,500 hours will receive a bonus twice a year.

Breaks - You MUST take a 30 minute unpaid lunch if you work over 5hours, which must be taken before the 5hour mark. 5 hour shift means you get 1 - 15minute paid break, over 5hrs 30 min (unpaid) + 15 min, 6hrs-9hrs - 1 30 min (unpaid) plus 2 15 minute (paid) breaks. Working over 10hrs means 2 30 min breaks, etc. Most supervisors/managers ensure you take your breaks though I try to keep up with mine before I go over the time. In addition, my warehouse gives you an additional minute to get to your break as they make sure you are not given the break time right after the clock changes. You will be told your start time (one minute ahead), and you add your break to that, so 3pm break would mean return at 3:15pm, or 3:30pm if its a lunch.

Schedule - You will know 3 weeks of schedule at a time, which is posted on paper sheets in the breakroom. Some locations are trying out an online schedule though. My schedule rotates and they do give me random Saturdays/Sundays off plus a lot of instances where I have two consecutive days off, though not always.

Most supervisors, managers, and coworkers are easy to talk to and treat you fairly. Harassment is taken seriously and they make sure that they have zero tolerance towards it.

Cons

Hours/Schedule - Part time employees can be scheduled work as low as 24 hours per week. I would love to get full-time but it is hard due to low turn over from full-time employees. Warehouses are normally staffed 50% full time, 50% part time.

Environment - I am technically front-end assistant, but 95% of the time I am outside pushing carts in all weather conditions (except storms where they do bring you inside). I don't think its fair that all females work inside and only males outside, this should be addressed company wide to make it fair.

Cleaning - Aside from pushing carts, you are also responsible for picking up garbage from the cart corrals (from the cans), as well as all the wrappers/cups/paper/left over food left behind in carts which happens 85% of the time. Members also leave behind cardboard boxes all around the parking lot, which need to be either returned inside to be reused (kind of unsanitary if you ask me) or if in poor shape thrown out/recycled into compactor.

Loading - You will also be loading cars, trucks, Uhauls, trailers, etc with not only bulk items but heavy furniture such as china cabinets, 300lbs ceramic egg grills, work benches, steel shelving, etc. You can always ask for help from your coworkers, or ask the member service team at the doors to page for assistance, but a lot of times help is slow to arrive or doesn't arrive at all. Members expect their purchases automatically fit into their cars and occasionally do not want to help even when they are in perfect healthy condition. This requires a lot of creativity to maneuver the objects to fit just right, or tons of unboxing of items which takes a lot of time due to packaging and taking to the back to be compacted.

Advice to Management

Allow more employees to work full-time or have an established path to guaranteed full-time such as 6months-1yr of service with good record of attendance, performance, feedback etc.

Require employees who work outside on carts or gas station to work inside for half of their shift minimum to reduce fatigue and increase productivity.

Establish a team dedicated to assist with loading heavy items to vehicles. A lot of times majors and cart crew teams are not muscle heads who can lift heavy items frequently. This will allow us to focus on cart/flatbed/electric scooter retrieval to keep the store operating smoothly. Also reduces risk of injury due to working in heat, rain, heavy items.

Cleaning - Have more garbage cans before reaching exit to have receipts checked so that way members can throw out their remaining wrappers, bottles, food, etc from samples and food court.

Pay - Allow employees who get good reviews/customer feedback to earn bonuses or increase compensation. Perhaps a gift card to the store for great performance recognition.

3. "Employees are an asset"

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Orem, UT

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, even for part-time
    Most employees are happy
    Paid time off for holidays

Cons

It can get really busy

4. "Sales of tv and jewlery"

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time

Pros

There are hours available the pay is good and benefits also

Cons

3 minute grace period to clock in

"Seasonal Employment"

Current Employee - Bakery in Burlington, WA
    Current Employee - Bakery in Burlington, WA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, employee treatment, membership discounts,

Cons

not enough training, breaks are hard or shortened because you have to walk to the break room and as you are walking you have members asking you questions.

Advice to Management

Need to improve training, especially for seasonal workers. From what I have seen and experienced, it is faced paced and they expect you to know everything after showing you something once and get upset when you don't know a procedure, even when you are unaware on how to handle it yet. And the full time employees get frustrated because they have to stop and handle the seasonal employees questions every couple minutes. So my advice is to do one-two days of training with seasonal employees and show them where everything is in their department and what is expected of them before they start there first regular shift, so the person is more aware of their surroundings and procedures.

6. "pharmacy assistant"

Former Employee - Semi-retired Licensed Practical Nurse in Wesley, IA
    Former Employee - Semi-retired Licensed Practical Nurse in Wesley, IA

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoy working with people. I am a semi-retired Lpn, so I have years of "customer service " experience.

Cons

I am on disability, so I can only work part time, and I have lifting restrictions.

Advice to Management

I am looking for a job that believes in team work. I am dependable, and very eager to learn. Ialso am familiar with medical terminology.

7. "Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Work/Life balance
    - Benefits (Medical, 401k, Stock Options)
    - A lot of Career opportunity
    - Family (Great work atmosphere with coworkers)
    - Good amount of Paid Vacation and Sick leave (increases based on tenure)

Cons

- Pay is not competitive for Corporate employees in the surrounding Seattle market
    - No bonuses for Assistant Buyers
    - Upward movement is a slow process due to amount of senior employees and limited positions
    - Like any other corporate company, the promotion process is political. They don't always pick the best employees to promote.

Advice to Management

Overall, Costco is a fantastic company to work for. To make up for the job market salaries, Assistant Buyers should be given bonuses just like all other positions (Warehouse Employees, ICS, Buyers, AGMMs, and GMMs). Due to limited Buyer and above positions, majority of Costco Employees remain in the Assistant Buyer position throughout their career.

8. "Great employer. Life changing"

Current Employee - Dual Licensed Optician
    Current Employee - Dual Licensed Optician

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay and great benefits

Cons

Hard to move up. Promotions are all about who you know

Advice to Management

When it comes to promotions go with skill and experience over tenure

9. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Costco offers great scheduling for students and will work with you! Good pay and automatic pay raises!

Cons

You will definitely work on the weekends unless you've been at your store for 25 years. It just depends on how good your manager is.

"Working at Costco"

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, wages, 401k contribution, Costco stock options.

Cons

Nepotism, high school mentality, disconnect between management and the "peons".

Advice to Management

Be more involved

Showing 4,227 of 4,331 reviews