Costco Wholesale Reviews | Glassdoor

Costco Wholesale Reviews

Updated July 14, 2017

2.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Significantly above average pay and benefits for retail (in 305 reviews)

• Overall a great company great benefits (in 579 reviews)

Cons
  • Very hard to full time position (in 198 reviews)

• They say they don't work with other jobs schedules so if you're looking for part time like I was they will give you a hard time (in 173 reviews)

"software developer"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a stable company and there are a lot of different opportunities to expand your career. Costco will allow you to move around to different roles within the company.

Cons

The pay scale is lower by 20% as compared to other companies in IT. Information Technology division is unorganized and there a handful of people who carry the IT division and do the bulk of the work. A lot of people hide behind their roles and get by doing very little.

Advice to Management

Create a culture where people are motivated to work. There are no consequences at Costco and people feel that they won't get fired, so you have a culture of people who aren't motivated. They don't take pride in what they do.

2. "Retail Associate"

Former Employee - Retail Associate in Alhambra, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Associate in Alhambra, CA

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My coworkers were like family. I made lifelong friends there. I also liked that I was on my feet most of the time; I was active and walked around for most of my shift. I didn't have to visit the gym as often, that's for sure. The company is organized overall.

Cons

The favoritism was disgusting. Also, they change your position, whether or not you are interested in switching to another position.

Advice to Management

Do not use favoritism in your decision making process.

"Work hard and get nothing in return."

Former Employee - Front End Assistant in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Front End Assistant in Reno, NV

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Decent starting pay at $13/hr
    -Executive membership and rebates
    -Open door policy and health/dental benefits for part timers
    -Cheap food in the food court

Cons

-At times it's like high school all over again. Some coworkers/sups are pretty rude. Lots of really picky and rude members. I have had to bite back my tongue many times.

-I have seen a decent amount of favoritism and special treatment to employees that slack off. People who started at the same time or later than me somehow got promoted to other departments and received new training/opportunities, and I had YET to receive any of this even though I was begging for it.

-One of my coworkers referred to me as a "rented mule" because I did nothing but push carts until I injured myself and had nothing but physical problems afterwards. I was often left on carts for 6-8 hours a day. I had to get a workload restriction, but even with undiagnosed health issues they continued to work me as hard as they possibly could while some of my coworkers got the easy treatment.

-Board runners need to learn their jobs better. My breaks were conveniently forgotten quite often when I was on carts.

-The schedule changes all the time. Split days off are the norm, and it's hard to plan anything. There's no work-life balance here. It's hard to get vacation/days off when you really need it, and if it's denied, you're out of luck. It also takes a LONG time to accrue sick pay.

I honestly work very hard (I am not a slacker by any means) and I get nothing for it. I am very discouraged by the lack of fairness and the stress this job imposes on your body & mind. You have to be careful with this company, otherwise it will chew you up and spit you out.

Advice to Management

Start giving equal opportunity for advancement instead of leaving people at the bottom with no room for growth. The favoritism also needs to be kicked to the curb.

4. "Nepotism and Favoritism"

Former Employee - Cashier in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved having holidays off, and I loved the amount of benefits the company has for their employees. We were always taken care of financially.

Cons

Management was terrible. The warehouse I worked at ran their departments through intimidation. I was a full time student working part time and my manager would still work me 39+ hours a week, including on the days I had off for school. When I would remind him about my school schedule, he made me print out every single schedule and a screenshot of my computer for proof of being a student. If I failed or withdrew from a class, he told me I'd be written up. I've seen people become promoted within the warehouse or moved to full time because their relative worked in corporate or was a GM in another warehouse in the state. I've seen women flirting with managers who suddenly get the best schedules.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees and be open-minded when they use the open door policy. When I spoke to my GM about what was happening, he told me that it all sounded fair and when I asked to transfer warehouses, he told me that he doesn't help employees who don't deserve it. I ended up quitting because the job gave me too much anxiety and stress. And I know several other employees at different warehouses who feel the same way. The company said it would work with students and help them, but I only felt harassed about getting an education.

"Cashier Assistant"

Current Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay for retail! 13 an hour, time in half on Sunday for everyone and you are off major holidays . 401k is pretty good and you are able to buy stocks from them if you have 168 do do so ;)

Cons

They only hired part-time . Seniority employees are the worst of the worts . Some are good . Managers and supervisor are so unprofessional an uneducated . Some are good . Schedule is very inconsistent it changes all the time without notice . No training . You have to learn everything on your own . On my second day I was ready to quit but I decided to keep pushing . I finally resigned because they moved me from Cashier assistant to baker without letting me know . I did not interview for bakery! I interview for cashier assistant. Bakery and food court are the hardest department and have a high turnover because of the work load . Don't ever interview for bakery and food court they are always understaff .

Advice to Management

Costco needs to make it mandatory for supervisors and Managers to take training clases . They are so rude and disrespectful.

"Leaders at the top wake up! YOU are responsible for your culture."

Current Employee - Front End in La Habra, CA
    Current Employee - Front End in La Habra, CA

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Some great hard working people to work side by side with. Honest hard work. Some holidays off.

Cons

Unprofessional managers require leadership training. Some are natural leaders (pay attention) while others shouldn't manage people /positions ever. Ever! Who's making these decisions?? They lack interpersonal skills and treat the customers and employees poorly. They've chased good employees (and customers) away. No customer "experience".

Advice to Management

Executives wake up! Set the bar higher. Hire managers that actually can lead as positive role models. Pay isn't everything these days. Catch up! It's 2017. Unhappy, untrained management create negative a company culture. Get rid of the unprofessionals. If you have miserable employees you've cheated your customers of the experience. Large quantities of food in boxes doesn't compete with great service.

7. "I do not recommend"

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Higher starting wage than most places, but it's still not enough for how hard they work you. Health insurance is good, but this should be a human right, not a reason to be stuck at a crappy job.

Cons

Overworked. Schedule changes every week, you have barely any control. They do not work with you to support you if you have a second job, and will also randomly increase or decrease your hours with no notice. They seriously want you to be a customer service robot and will work you into the ground.

Advice to Management

Actually care about your employees.

8. "Keep making reviews"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, job security, and good wages.

Cons

Part-time employees deserve respect too! We work part-time for various reasons, do not expect us to come in 5 days a week for part-time benefits and pay. 3/8 hour shifts is the only schedule that makes sense.

Advice to Management

Happy employees are more productive, have less turn-over, fewer sick calls, and have got this company to where it is today.

"Costco is wonderful but come visit atlanta stores undercover"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay, the benefits, the stability and the hardworking people the work is simple but tedious and the quality of effort

Cons

People with Seniority try to hold others who want more than they do back from growth and more hours. some managers are in competition with each other for employees and don't really want you to leave or grow outside their department they become passive aggressive with their tactics to keep you. they want you stay where you are and not grow and punish you by ignoring you and making comments as if they are God over your life and can make it miserable.. they play favoritism and likeness for advancement in some departments.

Advice to Management

Go undercover in Atlanta or send someone undercover to see how local management and people with seniority really treat new people who have a passion to grow with a company how oppressive, controlling, cliquish, passive aggressive it can be. It's like they say you can do this but don't want to see anybody advance whether it's hours or position.

"Unfair front end assistant expectations"

Former Employee - Front End Assistant in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Front End Assistant in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Solid company with great benefits

Cons

Promotes unsafe working environment around members

Advice to Management

Your employees should not be expected to RUN through the store and dodge members when putting back or getting an item or items for the front end or for members. This is very unsafe and I can't believe Costco would demand such unsafe practices. It also scares members when you come barreling around a corner and almost run them over!

Showing 283 of 3,911 reviews