Costco Wholesale Reviews | Glassdoor

Costco Wholesale Reviews

Updated April 25, 2017

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • Significantly above average pay and benefits for retail (in 287 reviews)

• Overall a great company great benefits (in 550 reviews)

Cons
  • It's very hard to get a full time position even for employees that have been with the company for more than 5 years (in 186 reviews)

• If part time max you get is 25hrs who can survive on that (in 165 reviews)

"Disappointed"

Current Employee - Clerk in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Clerk in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay (starting at $13/hour)
    Time-and-a-half pay on Sunday (EVERY Sunday)
    Free membership for Employee, spouse, and two other people
    Great place to work if you have no past retail experience and know how a well run store should operate.

Cons

Hard to get full-time position
    HORRIBLE training (basically none given)
    No team work, everybody cares about themselves. Be prepared to be frustrated when you are
       new to the company and trying to learn policies and procedures.
    Hard to grow in company if you didn't start when you were 18. Positions are given to the
       employees with longevity in the company, not those with previous experience from other
       jobs.
    New employees are all part-time and get closing shifts.
    No consistency. You will be yelled at by several different supervisors for doing your job wrong.
      One person wants it done this way, another is made bc they want it done differently. So on
       and so forth. You will leave every night wanting to rip your hair out and down a bottle of
       booze.
    The registers use outdated technology (are we in the 80's???) Makes your job more difficult
      and takes longer to take care of the member. Needs 21st century technology!

Advice to Management

Train employees properly. Make sure all managers and supervisors are on the same page so employees can do their job properly and not get chastised for doing it wrong. Each warehouse should be the same. These aren't franchises for each warehouse to operate however they choose to.

"Hard Work with little appreciation"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nampa, ID
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nampa, ID

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay and great benefits. Loved my coworkers.

Cons

Kept on part time limited for over a year. Schedule fluctuated from +- 40 hours 2-3 weeks then less than 15 for 4+weeks then back up again. Unprofessional and harassing upper management. Very demotivating method of managing.

3. "Okay for a college job"

Former Employee - Font End Assistant in Sun Prairie, WI
    Former Employee - Font End Assistant in Sun Prairie, WI

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, decent pay for the work you're doing. Co-workers were friendly. The work is pretty easy, but also mind numbing and repetitive.

Cons

Management treats front end employees like children pretty often. If there's a small gap in work to do, they treat you as if you're lazy and don't want to work. Many promises that weren't delivered in terms of training or job cross-training.

Advice to Management

Get to know your employees to learn their strong points rather than putting them wherever you want. Don't make promises about job cross-training if no follow through is applied.

5. "Good company, lots of people that don't care about work though"

Former Employee - Cap-2 in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Cap-2 in Seattle, WA

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Scheduling was always smooth, loved my managers

Cons

Atmosphere was chaotic and unorganized

6. "Good place very messy"

Former Employee - Stocker in Montgomery, AL
    Former Employee - Stocker in Montgomery, AL

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time

Pros

The starting pay is very good compared to other wholesale or retail stores. They offer benefits for full-time and part-time employees after your 90 days. Also they offer a continuous raises based on how many hours you work.

Cons

Management sucked they wanted you to scratch their back in order for you to get anything accomplished that you needed done. The employees were very messy they wanted to know everyone's business and gossip all throughout the day. The rolls at Costco are very strict no matter for time or part time you have to work five days per week no exceptions according to the Costco employee handbook. Most people that get employed through Costco stay there because of the continuous raises so everyone knows everyone business.

Advice to Management

Stop the office politics!

7. "If they gave more hours, it would be better"

Former Employee - Team Member in Florence, KY
    Former Employee - Team Member in Florence, KY

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I don't have much bad to say about working for Costco, except that they only work you 24 hours a week at $12 something an hour. That's great if you're in college, or your spouse makes enough to supplement, but if not, then that's just barely enough to scrape by on. I would have gladly stayed if they would have given me more hours.

Cons

short hours, not enough pay to live on with the short hours

Advice to Management

give more than 24 hours a week to people who want full-time.

"Declining"

Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, pay to work ratio, some fantastic employees, sound business model

Cons

Under qualified management, movement based on politics more than ability

Advice to Management

Go to college

"Food Service Assistant"

Former Employee - Food Service Assistant in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Food Service Assistant in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health Insurance, Free Membership, Lots of good quality co-workers. Senior Management

Cons

Department managers and a lot of supervisors are very self interested. My department was often understaffed, making my job much more difficult than thought was fair given my compensation. It doesn't matter how good/hard of a worker you are, you still only get raises based on hours worked. My manager also refused to consider me a full-time employee (full-time benefits are considerably better than part-time), even though i was often scheduled 38-39 hours per week.

I was held responsible for the daily operations of my department, but they refused to consider me for a supervisor position. They even brought in a supervisor from outside my department to "supervise" us (which failed miserably) on days the manager was not there, even though that person was much less qualified than myself and other members of my department. After only a week that person was removed from the department because they couldn't do the job better than the non-supervisor staff.

My manager was often rude and didn't appreciate how hard the staff was working day to day.

If you want to work for Costco for 20+ years, you will eventually make very good pay for the work required; however if you don't want a career at Costco don't waste you're time. Its not worth the daily frustration and $13.00 per hour starting pay.

I left because I submitted an application and cover letter to get trained in a different department, which was ignored by the responsible manager for over a month. I should add that I was very qualified for this position. It settled for an entry level food service position, though I was way overqualified, because I thought it would lead to better opportunities. That proposition turned out to be incredible false.

Don't be fooled by the propaganda saying "costco values it's employees". It should be more like " Costco values it's managers/supervisors/and long-time employees". They make new hires feel very small and not valued.

Advice to Management

Consider work ethic,performance, and reliability rather than simply how long you've been working there when setting wages.

Consider people for positions based on their qualifications.

Overhaul rude managers and supervisors.

Don't ignore employee applications to transfer departments.

10. "Good company to work for."

Current Employee - Front End in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Front End in El Paso, TX

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Pay, Flexible with school.

Cons

No Cons, Company is great, just wished they offered employees who are recent graduates open positions or internships in their related field.

11. "Long Term Stretch"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Costco has a pretty good wage; better than most retailers, and even better medical benefits. They do offer vacation time and there are 7 paid hoildays.
    *Bonuses
    *Longer periods of vacation(once you get pass 10 years)
    *Loyalty is paid well

Cons

*Hours are unstable- for PT employees.
    *Schedule constantly changes with and without warning. Sometimes even during the week
    *Limited Advancement especially at saturated areas like CA (which is a large subsection of Costco'S income)
    *Essentially membership base (except where laws apply) allow members to basically treat employees as second class citizens.
    *No financial incentive to move up to lower MGMT beyond supervisor. (Refer to last comment too)
    *Favoritism runs deep
    *Many silver badges that probably need to retire either due to stress or too much time spent in retail.
    *Absence of training
    * Weak direction from leadership
    * Lots of kicking the can down the road work ethic
    *Management Retribution
    * Way behind on technology for Information systems
    *Definite levels of inner circles within Upper MGMT. (Limited mobility)

Advice to Management

Brick and Mortar retailers are going to be a thing of the past. I advise managers to start actually getting jobs skills for an online world.

Showing 637 of 3,692 reviews