Costco Wholesale Reviews | Glassdoor

1,441 reviews

4.0

1,441 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great pay and benefits for retail (in 317 reviews)

• Overall a great company great benefits (in 606 reviews)

Cons
  • Very hard to full time position (in 206 reviews)

• They say they don't work with other jobs schedules so if you're looking for part time like I was they will give you a hard time (in 177 reviews)

"Real Pros and Cons"

Current Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very affordable high quality health insurance benefits even for PT employees. Great for working parents who split up child care and need coverage. The key to succeeding at Costco is to work hard, have a good attitude and be nice to people. It's hard work and fasted paced, you have to be down for that to succeed.

Cons

At this warehouse you are required to work 5 days per week, even if you are PT at 24 or so hours. This means lots of 4-5 hour shifts rather than fewer 8 hour shifts which is tough for those who commute a long distance to work or have to cover day care.

Advice to Management

Allow the PT staff at 24/hours per week or so to work 4/6 hour shifts or 3/8 hour shifts rather than 4 and 5 hour shifts. it gets expensive for those who commute a long distance to work or have to cover day care.

"Pros and Cons"

Current Employee - Front End Assistant in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Front End Assistant in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits - You qualify for health benefits as a part-time employee within three months. Medical and dental are both through Aetna, and it is $23 per paycheck. Generic prescriptions start at $3 for 30 day supply.

Continuous raises - In employee handbook you will know when you will get a raise, which is every 1040 hours. Every new employee starts at the bottom of the payscale, so you are not paid for how much you are liked, rather your time given. The employee handbook will tell you how much others make in each department as well as supervisor pay levels. Employees working that have worked over 12,500 hours will receive a bonus twice a year.

Breaks - You MUST take a 30 minute unpaid lunch if you work over 5hours, which must be taken before the 5hour mark. 5 hour shift means you get 1 - 15minute paid break, over 5hrs 30 min (unpaid) + 15 min, 6hrs-9hrs - 1 30 min (unpaid) plus 2 15 minute (paid) breaks. Working over 10hrs means 2 30 min breaks, etc. Most supervisors/managers ensure you take your breaks though I try to keep up with mine before I go over the time. In addition, my warehouse gives you an additional minute to get to your break as they make sure you are not given the break time right after the clock changes. You will be told your start time (one minute ahead), and you add your break to that, so 3pm break would mean return at 3:15pm, or 3:30pm if its a lunch.

Schedule - You will know 3 weeks of schedule at a time, which is posted on paper sheets in the breakroom. Some locations are trying out an online schedule though. My schedule rotates and they do give me random Saturdays/Sundays off plus a lot of instances where I have two consecutive days off, though not always.

Most supervisors, managers, and coworkers are easy to talk to and treat you fairly. Harassment is taken seriously and they make sure that they have zero tolerance towards it.

Cons

Hours/Schedule - Part time employees can be scheduled work as low as 24 hours per week. I would love to get full-time but it is hard due to low turn over from full-time employees. Warehouses are normally staffed 50% full time, 50% part time.

Environment - I am technically front-end assistant, but 95% of the time I am outside pushing carts in all weather conditions (except storms where they do bring you inside). I don't think its fair that all females work inside and only males outside, this should be addressed company wide to make it fair.

Cleaning - Aside from pushing carts, you are also responsible for picking up garbage from the cart corrals (from the cans), as well as all the wrappers/cups/paper/left over food left behind in carts which happens 85% of the time. Members also leave behind cardboard boxes all around the parking lot, which need to be either returned inside to be reused (kind of unsanitary if you ask me) or if in poor shape thrown out/recycled into compactor.

Loading - You will also be loading cars, trucks, Uhauls, trailers, etc with not only bulk items but heavy furniture such as china cabinets, 300lbs ceramic egg grills, work benches, steel shelving, etc. You can always ask for help from your coworkers, or ask the member service team at the doors to page for assistance, but a lot of times help is slow to arrive or doesn't arrive at all. Members expect their purchases automatically fit into their cars and occasionally do not want to help even when they are in perfect healthy condition. This requires a lot of creativity to maneuver the objects to fit just right, or tons of unboxing of items which takes a lot of time due to packaging and taking to the back to be compacted.

Advice to Management

Allow more employees to work full-time or have an established path to guaranteed full-time such as 6months-1yr of service with good record of attendance, performance, feedback etc.

Require employees who work outside on carts or gas station to work inside for half of their shift minimum to reduce fatigue and increase productivity.

Establish a team dedicated to assist with loading heavy items to vehicles. A lot of times majors and cart crew teams are not muscle heads who can lift heavy items frequently. This will allow us to focus on cart/flatbed/electric scooter retrieval to keep the store operating smoothly. Also reduces risk of injury due to working in heat, rain, heavy items.

Cleaning - Have more garbage cans before reaching exit to have receipts checked so that way members can throw out their remaining wrappers, bottles, food, etc from samples and food court.

Pay - Allow employees who get good reviews/customer feedback to earn bonuses or increase compensation. Perhaps a gift card to the store for great performance recognition.

3. "Working for Costco"

Former Employee - Forklift Driver in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Forklift Driver in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a real good company to work for. pay and benefits are good.

Cons

Hope you know someone up in management if you are interested in moving up in the company. Because no matter how hard you work and how long you have been there. They will choose friends over someone more qualified. I was there 10 years and kept getting passed up on promotions to people who only were with the company 3 or less years. But always looked to me to merchandise the store instead of the supervisors (friends) they promoted which that was supposed to be there duties. Wish I didn't loose my cool after working there so long.

Advice to Management

Pick the more qualified people who have been there and knows more about the company than friends

4. "Amazon corporate culture"

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time

Pros

Really nice people. All upper management I've met are really accessible and kind to their employees. Costco also hires from within so there are a lot of opportunities to move to other departments. Great work life balance.

Cons

Low turn over rate at Costco means that opportunities for upward mobility (in the sense of official promotions) can be tough to come by. However, if you express the interest to move up to your management, as well as consistently put forth good work, management will champion for you.

"Enjoyed it"

Pros

Benefits and atmosphere were good.

Cons

Long hours standing, but nothing to make you not want to work there.

6. "It's alright so far.."

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Commerce, CA
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Commerce, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, good opportunities for growth within company, managers are flexible with student schedules, coworkers are amazing.

Cons

Some managers expect you to pick up other employees slack.

7. "Worked at shipping depot"

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time

Pros

Good hours and decent pay. I worked at the shipping depot not the store. Moving pallets and merchandise by hand could be exhausting, but most days were steady and not bad. The people I worked with were fun and friendly.

Cons

short breaks
    hot work environment
    repetitive task

8. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The hard working people of Costco are wonderful

Cons

Hours/Shifts are very limited when you first get hired.

9. "It was great working atmosphere but you do need to hustle"

Former Employee - Night Shift in Katy, TX
    Former Employee - Night Shift in Katy, TX

Pros

Great benefits. Great people and good medical insurance. A lot of the work is easy to do and is not heavy work at all

Cons

Hmm I guess a lot of over time and some times work on Saturdays and Sundays and even on holidays

10. "Marketing manager"

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. Plenty of vacation time, great salary

Cons

Lots of weekends due to retail and 50+ work weeks

Showing 1,441 of 4,072 reviews