Costco Wholesale Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends

3,692 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Significantly above average pay and benefits for retail (in 294 reviews)

• Overall a great company great benefits (in 568 reviews)

Cons
  • It's very hard to get a full time position even for employees that have been with the company for more than 5 years (in 189 reviews)

• If part time max you get is 25hrs who can survive on that (in 169 reviews)

"Costco Experience - Not Top Notch for all"

Former Employee - Stock, Sales in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Stock, Sales in Miami, FL

Pros

salary & health benefits were excellant in the beginning.

Cons

contrary to the hype , some locations do not promote from within. Upper management repeatedly hired from bankrupt companies, salaried supervisors work unlimited hours, rules enforced for some, ignored for others, complete lack of privacy & professionalism by pharmacy employees. If you are injured, there's the door.
    When it's good, it's good, but not everyone gets treated well and not all locations are created equal.
    Open door policy? use it, if you want to have a miserable employment experience.

Advice to Management

Hope that Jim Sinegal remains ambivalent or ignorant about some of his upper management & warehouse managers.

"Costco a good place to work for immigrants and low class citizens."

Former Employee - Cashier in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Torrance, CA

Pros

Health and dental benefits. You do not need a college degree or any real education. If you are a low class person who does not speak English very well, you can get a decent paying job here.

Cons

Terrible, uneducated, low class, immature management. Very difficult to get a better position. Raises are slow, Costco tries to keep all employess at part time. The work shifts are alwyas changing and the times are late.

Advice to Management

Senior management should hire better educated people for positions. Senior management needs to take managemnet courses.

"Costco not a place to work in IT"

Former Employee - QA Specialist in Issaquah, WA
    Former Employee - QA Specialist in Issaquah, WA

Pros

Family friendly, no layoffs, benefits, employee discounts on a few things, the free turky for your Christmas bonus

Cons

discrimination against minorities. Promotions without merit, lower than industy average pay. High turnover due to salaries not being competitive. No bonuses for exemplary effort. Manager choose scapegoats when project doesn't go well. Some employees are severely overworked while others are severly underutilized.
    Due to poor project management and not enough resouces systems are poorly developed and require alot of maintenance. Most of the IT work is maintenance, not developing new system to improve efficiency

Advice to Management

They need to catchup with current technology and salary expectations. Unable to attract and keep good talent. Managers tend to choose scapegoats for projects that don't go well. Need to spend money on equipment to get results. Stop using outsourcing that is actually costing the company more in the long run, when system are not designed well.

"Just Don't..."

Former Employee - Front End Assistant in Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Front End Assistant in Tukwila, WA

Pros

you get a costco card, that's all...

Cons

you work in a factory....you are one of many many bottom feeders in a big pond that even if you have a college degree will be pushing carts...they think this is where EVERYONE should start....if you're not able, they make excuses as to why you can't do other jobs and cut your hours

Advice to Management

stop treating people-good people-like cattle. The prestige of working for Costco is only there if you're under 20 or a laid off Boeing worker....it's not a career move for someone who's paid thousands for an education that you don't seem to care about, utilize or support as a company. Here's a word for ya: TURNOVER

"Great benefits and pay, but poor management leadership"

Pros

Good pay and benefits. It is a good place to work if you are student.

Cons

Lack of communication between managers and hourly workers. Managers can be demeaning towards hourly workers.

Advice to Management

Look into making sure that managers treat their hourly employees with respect.

"The 'good' and 'bad' at Costco Wholesale"

Current Employee - Cashier Assistant in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Cashier Assistant in Portland, OR

Pros

The start pay for inexperienced employee is exceptionally high. Good place to build your resume and start a career.

Cons

Costco Wholesale is run by a union, meaning the least competent employee in the company may have power and will have better benefits over new employees just because he/she has worked there for a longer period of time. Managers does not know how to treat new employees humanely.

Advice to Management

Micromanagement is key to creating a lasting firm.

"True Image of Costco Wholesale as seen by employee's"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naples, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naples, FL

Pros

Med Benefits, raises, vac/sick time/holiday, 401K two "extra check" bonus twice yearly once salary's maxed out & (4) free memberships.

Cons

Low morale. No work incentive. They don't post jobs. Suddenly discover an employee has a different job. Never hear about the good you do, only the negative. Procedures change depending on the day. Mgt is always too busy to sit down and listen to what you have to say. Somehow no matter what you say, it's always you that needs to improve. The "open door policy" really is a joke. Once you have an issue that needs attention, your labeled as a "problem child". No communication from Supv. Easier to write up when something was incorrect instead of explaining how to do it correctly. No leadership from Supv. Treats an individual employee based on "other" employees. If one employee stands around or can't prioritize, the rest get classified as such. Never have weekly or monthly meetings to ensure we're all on the same page. It's easier to be critical of an employee. Just once I'd like a pat on the back for a job well done but instead I get spoken to for not doing a procedure I wasn't told about. Supv is never held accountable for bad supervisory skills. No positive reinforcement. No privacy on a performance review-instead its done in the office with about 15 people coming and going so everyone can hear what's being said. My review that I did on myself was not even read by my Supv. never compared w/what he or she had written yet an asst mgr signed it prior to this review obviously agreeing to Supv comments without knowing what I had to say. I questioned my Supv about reading it, wasn't concerned with it. I spent 3 hours on it the night before to have it stapled to the back of the Supv's copy. I then had to ask for a copy as I wasn't getting one unless I asked. I work very hard and have gone above & beyond many times to which I've been told by members how thankful they were and yet I'm told I need to improve in member service. I come into the dept and do what needs to be done before the doors open, within minutes I'm able to assist a member and yet I'm told I need to improve to be "showtime ready". Costco's management will beat you down every time, they lose excellent employee's because of the way they treat employee's. I would not recommend anyone asking for a job to apply at Costco. Since I've started there over a year ago, I've missed out on family outings and dates with my husband as I work mostly nights and all weekend rather than mix up the schedule to give me some family time. Family isn't important when you work for Costco. I have to laugh when I read the "Costco Connection" and articles about CEO Jim Sinegal's vision of Costco. If he only knew. He needs to visit his warehouses and meet with employees on a one on one with no manager to understand how his employees are being treated. I work here because it's the only job I could find once the prev company I worked for closed their doors. While I'm thankful to have a job its difficult waking up each morning to a new day with Costco being fed the same negative bull. I want to love where I work, I want to love my job. I work on having a positive attitude every day but management has a way of bringing you down. By the way I agree with the previous reviews, it's funny that we all seem to share the same experiences when I'm assuming we work in different states. So please please.........Costco might be growing but so is their reputation for the way they treat their employees.

Advice to Management

Management needs to take a step back and really take a hard look in the way they treat employees. I'm sure the PC courses they take @ Costco don't teach them to handle employee situations in the manner they do. You managers need to show your employees more respect. Tell employees that they did or do a great job~! Thank them too. When being critical, first remind the employee that your aware of what they do however, they need to improve in another area. Start w/a positive instead of slamming them with a negative. Learn to listen to what an employee is trying to say. Have an open mind and understand each employee is an individual and not to be based on what "others" do. Show some compassion when it's needed. Believe me, it goes alot farther than you realize. It improves one's attitude and moral just for being "thanked" or praised for a job well done.

"Gast Station"

Current Employee - Gas Station in Ocean, NJ
    Current Employee - Gas Station in Ocean, NJ

Pros

Pay, benefits, Not much else thats great about the company. The job is not hard, but can be very dmanding.

Cons

Managers treat you like you are dirt. They do not work around any other job you might have, they are very unfriendly.

Advice to Management

They need to stop picking favorites and promote only those whoa re in the click. It is unfair to those who work hard and get nothing for it.

10. "not a good department. nobody speaks good english. not kind to one another."

Current Employee - Food Court in Naples, FL
    Current Employee - Food Court in Naples, FL

Pros

Pay excellent food and prices

Cons

too many nights. not having a break.

Advice to Management

pay attention to the departments. no correct training. not getting along well in certain dept..

"Costco sucks, they treat employees like crap and there are no opportunities at all for fulltime work"

Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Dedham, MA
    Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Dedham, MA

Pros

$11 an hour to start, good benefits

Cons

You're never doing the right thing, management change their minds all the time, one day they say one thing, next day they say another, you're never good enough, even if you work your ass off they don't care, you're not getting a promotion because everything is based on seniority and your performance only gets you in trouble but never benefits you. they're very abusive when it comes to being outside pushing carts, they don't care if your sick, they'll still send you out if it's raining/thundering/snowing or over 100 degrees and keep you out there your whole shift every friggin day. if you're looking for a full-time job this is not the place to work for you, expect to get from 24-32 hours every week, Costco's infested of all creeps that won't retire cuz they wanna keep all their benefits so pretty much someone has to die to leave a full time position available and when theres one there are already like 10 guys with more seniority than u waiting for it.

Advice to Management

Take some time to give positive feedback to your employees and on promotions not only make your decisions on whos been working the longest but who can do the job better and whos worked the hardest too

Showing 3,692 of 3,778 reviews