Costco Wholesale Reviews | Glassdoor

Costco Wholesale Reviews

Pros
  • Significantly above average pay and benefits for retail (in 291 reviews)

• Overall a great company great benefits (in 563 reviews)

Cons
  • It's very hard to get a full time position even for employees that have been with the company for more than 5 years (in 189 reviews)

• If part time max you get is 25hrs who can survive on that (in 168 reviews)

"Simple, very demanding, labor intensive."

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Laguna Niguel, CA
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Laguna Niguel, CA

Pros

Excellent benefits for yourself and your family. Less than $100 for full coverage including yourself and a dependent.

Cons

Senior mgmt doesn't think things through before delegating, excellent end results but significant amounts of extra work prior to end result. A ton of employees with tenure who are lazy and are almost impossible to get rid of. Quarterly statements always showed Costco with higher earnings yet in store that resulted somehow in tighter payroll.

Advice to Management

Kick out the bad seeds and those that just don't care anymore. Reward those that work hard and want to advance.

"Eh."

Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Clackamas, OR
    Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Clackamas, OR

Pros

Great pay, fellow assistants for the most part are very friendly and helpful, all cashiers have done front end work and they completely know what you're going through so most of them will give you advice or help you more than they have to, free membership

Cons

Only four hours of training, a lot of learning on the job so you never know if you're doing things the right way until the employee review, extremely fast work environment and lifting those bulk items for four hours is not easy! Some managers and cashiers seemed to have forgotten how physically demanding the job is and will berate you or glare at you in front of customers.

Advice to Management

Remember what it was like working the least respected job in the warehouse. Everyone has been through it and management needs to respect assistants more. Give more training to new employees. Four hours is not enough to learn everything there needs to work efficiently. For example, teach new assistants how to repack a basket. It is overwhelming and teaching assistants how instead of expecting them to learn instantly will make things easier.

"intresting , diverse,"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

Pros

variety is the spice of life

Cons

i have no opinion to give

Advice to Management

remember the associates

"Awesome"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fontana, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fontana, CA

Pros

Good pay, good people, great benefits, good promotability

Cons

Takes a lot longer to top out with new employee agreements

"Entry-level job, great pay for those who go to school"

Current Employee - Food Service Assistant in Citrus Heights, CA
    Current Employee - Food Service Assistant in Citrus Heights, CA

Pros

-Pays well
    -Interaction with many customers
    -Great Benefits
    -Flexible Hours
    -Coworkers are easy to work with
    -Work around your school schedule

Cons

-Always rushing
    -Lots of "janitor type work"
    -Food service can be more stressful than Front end

Advice to Management

I believe the management is doing an excellent job, however there have been some stragglers slowing down the whole process and they're cancerous to the whole store.

7. "Great until recently"

Current Employee - Food Services Supervisor in San Dimas, CA
    Current Employee - Food Services Supervisor in San Dimas, CA

Pros

Great pay and great benefits

Cons

Management is unprofessional, promotions given not based on skill or knowledge but who you know, and super hypocritical. What's okay for one employee is not okay for another. They said they would support me going back to school, but when I handed them my schedule for the semester, they said the days I chose to go to school put them in a bind and had a meeting with me that made me feel like my job was threatened. All this because I want to better my future for my family. I was happy until I transferred to this building. I definitely recommend working at Costco, but not this building!

Advice to Management

Be consistent and teach! Put personal differences aside and treat everyone equally. Support your employees and be more effective when it comes to communication. I've worked at Costco for 10 years and have never been as dissatisfied with the company as I have been recently.

"Great place to work if you are in college"

Former Employee - Front End Assistant in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Front End Assistant in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

Really great pay compared to other retail outlets. Guaranteed 25 hours a week at the store I worked at. Very easy going vacation policy. They understand working students have exams to study for so it is easy to schedule a week off for finals.

Cons

Sometimes hours can be erratic. You might be scheduled a split shift one day or only scheduled 4 hours closing shift the next. When you start, you will end up getting closing shifts.

Advice to Management

Have more opportunities for advancement for students. Give hires that have been with the company 1 or so years the opportunity to lead a small team of seasonal employees to give them leadership experience. It would also cut down on training.

"High starting pay, great co-workers, boring job."

Current Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Auburn Hills, MI

Pros

I worked 40 hours a week for three summers and made a lot of money. My starting pay was 11.00/hr with a raise toward the end of my job period when I went back to school.

Cons

Redundant, boring job loading carts all day. I would hope all day to go work the gas station to cover a lunch or go do go-backs to get away from the boring front end.

Advice to Management

Some managers are great communicators, many are not. Work as hard as your employees, if not harder to earn respect of the front end employees. If I am respected and know you're working as hard as me, I'll bend over backwards for you. Speak disrespectfully, and order me around? Good luck.

"I enjoy working at Costco and working as a team."

Current Employee - Front End in Everett, MA
    Current Employee - Front End in Everett, MA

Pros

It is a great company to work for. Even as a part-time employee you will receive some benefits. The day goes by fast when it is busy.

Cons

You never know your schedule may be different from week to week.

Advice to Management

I think the more you praise your employees for a job well done they will want to please you and work harder.

"Not rewarding at all"

Current Employee - Door Clicker in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Door Clicker in Chicago, IL

Pros

Easy to get in and stay, but advancement is slow. Company seems to prefer people that are not that educated or smart. The jobs offered are repetitious and mindless. People that think and have some formal education seem to be frowned upon. This may be a good job with someone with a high school education, but if you have some kind of college degree you will find this company mind numbing.

Cons

Low salary. Caliber of supervisors and managers is poor to mediocre