Cottingham & Butler Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Butler

1. "Awesome, If you Get the Right Job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dubuque, IA

I worked at Cottingham & Butler full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent people who work very hard for their customers. A big percentage of the people are trying really hard every day with a smile, and they are very fun people to work with. If you can get a sales career going here, you can make a lot of money and delegate most real work to the hourly folks.

Mentor ship and internship programs. You can learn a lot, and you only really have to say that are interested. They'll swoop you up into it.

They do a great job on work/life balance. Your career is kind of shot if you don't want to work beyond 8-5, but it's a solid choice still. They also participate in the community and that's cool to be apart of.

If you can impress the right people, they will praise you to everybody. Even the CEO. They really value good people -- and will give you tons of feel good fuzzies for working above and beyond.

if you can get one sales win, you'll win a lot and get a ton of praise, money, and prestige for it. It feels good.

Cons

Weird culture on money. They don't want hourly folks to know how much sales people make, and keep sales' events and celebrations hidden from the company. They hate when you ask for raises. Expect a 3% raise every year, and keep your hopes low on any more.

I think they've never had to complete for employees before, so if you show them a competitive offer they get hostile and act like you cheated on them -- they want you to drink the kool-aide and be apart of their cult.

Bro culture. Fraternity kids from local colleges who say and do sexist, racist stuff. Co-workers hooking up, and guys telling sex stories in the office. At happy hours you'll see Vice Presidents join in on the "fun" with the young guys. If you don't go along with it, they criticize you for "not being a good sport."

Advice to Management

You've made the Butler family very rich. Congratulations.

2. "Professional work environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dubuque, IA

I worked at Cottingham & Butler full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are opportunities for growth, ongoing CE is encouraged. Young new hires keep atmosphere fun.

Cons

Male dominated management; work-life balance not a high priority

3. "Slow, steady, solid"

Current Employee - Producer in Dubuque, IA
    Current Employee - Producer in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at Cottingham & Butler full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to learn and be mentored people are really helpful to young insurance professionals and they help ease the at time grueling process

Cons

Can be really clickly. High turn over in sales although that isn't unlikely in any brokege. Too many pointless meetings

5. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dubuque, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at Cottingham & Butler full-time

Pros

I had a great training program for the first 6 weeks of being hired. I have friendly co-workers and a very positive work environment, lots of opportunities to meet co-workers through work sponsored events. Very fast paced company and growing quickly. High level management is engaged. I would recommend working here! Also, GREAT internship program from what I have seen.

Cons

Work is interesting but can be mundane at times. Insurance, am i right? C&B, and Dubuque in general, seems to be very white male dominated. During the new employee orientation there were about 6 speakers, all white males. Hire lots of people straight from college so there can be a high amount of turnover.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate benefits program for employees

"Health coach"

Former Employee - Health Coach in Dubuque, IA
    Former Employee - Health Coach in Dubuque, IA

Pros

Great company. They care about professional development.

Cons

I had no complaints about the company

"Account Service Representative"

Current Employee - Account Service Representative in Dubuque, IA
    Current Employee - Account Service Representative in Dubuque, IA

Pros

Awesome culture. Intelligent and experienced professionals. C&B Supports internal growth and career paths.

Cons

I have nothing negative to add

"1 STAR IS GENEROUS FOR THIS COMPANY"

Former Employee - Coordinator in Dubuque, IA
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Dubuque, IA

Pros

Independent work environment, flex time...... this box requires me to put 20 words minimum, but I have nothing else positive to say about this company.

Cons

Where to begin? First, I left the company on my own accord. I was not terminated.
    There is no training. I asked about this in my interview and was lied to about the availability of my supervisor, shadowing another in my department and an overall course that would help me be successful within Cottingham & Butler. I had hopes of long term career life within this. I was failed to say the least.
    My manager told me my first day to not ask her a question unless I was "hitting my head against a wall", she didn't have time and I had to "just figure it out". I was never told if I was doing a good job, only when I had made a mistake. She was belittling and VERY hard to talk to. The department heads play favorites, if you aren't in their "clique" good luck feeling comfortable being at your job.
    Everyone here LOVES to gossip, ESPECIALLY HUMAN RESOURCES. Confidentiality? That doesn't exist here. Don't be surprised if any medical history, or even your social security number gets leaked to the company. My exit interview, although not rude in any way, just honest, was spread throughout departments - even ones that were not on the list of those who should see it. Specifics were also brought up to other employees who left the company after I did.

The benefits they offer are sub-par. Human Resources in non-competent, managers are not evaluated based on their own actions, there is no training, a strong LACK of leadership skills, and John Becker is not "God's gift."

Cottingham & Butler will tell you they are filling these open positions because they are growing - they actually just cannot keep them filled. Do yourself a favor, don't even hit "apply".

Advice to Management

Start evaluating department heads, maybe you will then understand your turnover rates.

"No training, No nothing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dubuque, IA

I worked at Cottingham & Butler full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I met a few people in the department who were kind and slowly began helping me even though it was definitely not their job to do so. I hear great things about Health Check.

Cons

Where to begin...no training, no guidance. If you're looking to sit at a desk confused all day then definitely apply. As other reviews have noted, it's a boys club. You frequently see men hanging in the manager's office, laughing and chatting. Many of them had a very "you're inferior to me" complex, which made the few meetings the department did have and their get togethers awkward and cliquey. My supervisor was worthless and made no effort to get to know me, let alone train me. I could tell after the first day (and later told by other employees with similar situations) that the supervisor didn't like me. I spoke to multiple higher ups about my situation to no avail. The good employees they do have who were willing to help me were not appreciated like they should be. C&B seems to be attempting to hire faster and more people to get their numbers up without thinking that they have to actually train the people they hire. I left voluntarily because I felt like I was wasting my time and the four years I spent working hard in college. Just a very sad and stressful experience overall.

Advice to Management

Playing favorites occurs in almost any environment, but managers didn't even hide it. You should take the time to get to know more than just your three favorite people in your department because you may rely on them someday.

"Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in Dubuque, IA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at Cottingham & Butler full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cottingham & Butler is one of the best places to work in Dubuque, IA. I am a current employee who has been here for a little over 6 months, and my time here so far has been very enriching already! They place a huge emphasis on life-long learning and professional development, which will only benefit the business going forward. From the beginning, I have felt like a valued part of the team; I am excited to see how my career will grow and what opportunities will come my way.

Cons

The fast-paced and competitive environment works well for me, but it is not for everyone.

"Wish I never took this job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Cottingham & Butler full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is always lots of work to be done which I enjoy. I do not like being bored at work, it makes the day drag on.

Cons

There is way too much conflicting information. The resources are never updated properly when things change for our clients but they expect their employees to have ESP and automatically know these changes without having properly updated the system.

There is absolutely no constructive feedback. I was not given a review because my manager was "too busy". Even though the managers never seem too busy to talk about the TV shows they watched the night before. As a dedicated and hardworking employee this is unfair to me.

Advice to Management

Stop having your little "management parties" and start doing some work.