Cotton On Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Cotton On CEO Peter Johnson
Peter Johnson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • A lot of benefits like giftcards & 50% Discount for all items (in 79 reviews)

• Staff discount, "people first" and great team environment (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of follow through is sometimes an issue from upper management (in 34 reviews)

• Horrible work/life balance with no understanding (in 11 reviews)

1. "Great Place"

I have been working at Cotton On part-time

Pros

Very friendly staff, motivated each other to do better and become better

Cons

so far so good, no compliants

2. "Get CottonOn"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Cotton On full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome set of company values/ people working for the company.

Cons

Require way too much from employees without compensation.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people in store more. Experience a day in the store before pushing new ideas or concepts.

3. "decent"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Cotton On full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Quick upward mobility if you work for it!

Cons

Obviously this is retail so working weekends and holidays is not fun.

Advice to Management

Invest in employees more. Upgrade the store fronts and interiors. Stop cutting hours to save money because in the end you'll end up losing it because of lack of coverage and customer service.

4. "Best job I've had, would go back in a heartbeat!"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Saint Augustine, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Saint Augustine, FL

I worked at Cotton On full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Started on the lower end of the totem pole and worked my way up quickly! Always room for growth within your district. I loved my team and my location!

Cons

Shipment and marketing were the only downside of working outlet.

Advice to Management

Thinking of the smaller people within the store..

5. "Sales Associate"

I worked at Cotton On part-time

Pros

Easy interview process and overall very easy job. 50% off store for all employees.

Cons

Management was not very flexible about shift times.

"Unrealistic Payroll Hours"

I have been working at Cotton On full-time

Pros

In 2016 stores were fully staffed with managers, associates, and stock support. Daily operations were running efficiently. Like most retailers, payroll hours were given based on budgets and payroll percentage.

Cons

The company has cut so much payroll that associates and stock support are not given hours to work. Store Managers are now given about 30% of the payroll hours they had in 2016. Payroll percentage is no longer a factor. Even if you surpass your LY's and forecasts, Store Managers are expected to work with the base hours given. Managers now work alone or work with a key holder. Managers are expected to not only run operations, but cashier, process shippment, run fitting rooms and assist cutomers on the floor during peak hours alone.

Advice to Management

Payroll hours must be increased in order for store managers to run their business efficiently.

7. "Sales Associate"

I worked at Cotton On part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are good people here and I made good friends. Discounts were a huge positive.

Cons

Management sometimes had unrealistic expectations. Didn't have a lot of opportunity for growth.

"Company going "down under""

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Cotton On full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discount is great (50%). I loved the people I worked with.. if you're in the right store you'll have a lot of fun when you're not working alone. The Cotton On Foundation is great and I love everything they do.

Cons

Company is slowing going under.. sales in the last year have dropped massively and haven't stopped yet. In efforts to save money they've been cutting hours in stores and cutting assistant managers from a bunch of stores. Lack of hours means you'll be working alone for 75% of your work week if you're a manager which can be very tiring and lonesome. Working alone creates a huge theft problem within the stores and the company refuses to do anything about it(buying security systems, installing cameras, giving stores more hours) but will blame it on you when the shrink numbers come through and may even go as far to interrogate members of staff accusing them of stealing. The company is majoring disorganized and dishonest. They claim to care about their employees but have never done anything for me or my team that make me believe it. Pay is mediocre for the job and not competitive with the rest of the retail industry. Training for management is not adequate and your district manager will probably laugh in your face if you ask for more. Upper management will treat you like you're stupid if you make mistakes and won't help you fix them. District managers claim they're always there to help but normally just make issues worse and are actually unable to run a store if they needed to. Product is put on clearance almost immediately after it hits stores ($5 shorts in the summer?!). Because of this the store will attract only the cheapest customers who will haggle with you over a dollar and because of this you won't be hitting any of your kpi's and your average sale will be terrible. This will be blamed on you of course and not the idiot who decided to clearance everything out.

Advice to Management

Spend a little to make some money. Cutting hours and full time staff is just going to speed up the decline of stores. You need more than one person working if you want to stop the huge theft problems in your stores. Provide more training for your staff and hire district managers who won't speak to people like they're stupid.

9. "Unorganized management"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Cotton On part-time

Pros

Co workers were always fun

Cons

Bad hours
    They couldn't tell me my schedule over the phone

10. "Keyholder"

I have been working at Cotton On part-time

Pros

50% employee discount is a plus. Empowering coworkers and the overall vibe can be great.

Cons

Too many to list. Ancient computers make it impossible to submit anything, or find anything. Always short on hours, and asked why theft is such a problem. Many, many other issues that usually occur in retail stores, but this company is a mess to be honest.

Advice to Management

Take risks, give more hours, even in small doses. The extra support during operating hours will make the store a more enjoyable place to be and the customers will appreciate the help they are receiving. Too much business is lost because the stores are outnumbered.