Cottonwood Financial Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Trevor Ahlberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "good pay/ relaxed conditions if you are producing" (in 7 reviews)

• "If you are motivated and have a drive to succeed then you will be successful at Cottonwood Financial" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Benefit costs can be high for family coverage" (in 3 reviews)

• "The Operations department and field employees have a high turnover rate" (in 3 reviews)

"Great Job"

Current Employee - OTM
    Current Employee - OTM

I have been working at Cottonwood Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is an exciting place to work! There are always new challenges and goals to achieve . The work and projects are ever changing so the work doesn't become stagnant. The company is growing, so there are many new and exciting changes happening that I'm proud to be part of. The atmosphere and company culture are welcoming and friendly. The pay/benefits are good and the hours are great.

Cons

Growth within the company is not hard to achieve, however I wish there were other paths. Again, the company is growing so we will see for the future!

Advice to Management

Break room with a table to enjoy lunch.

"Management"

Former Employee - Area Manager in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Area Manager in Irving, TX

I worked at Cottonwood Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay. I am grateful for the experience and opportunity to practice my skills & learn how not to treat people.

Cons

Scare tactics are used to force performance. Be prepared to be yelled and cursed at for any big or small mistake, or if someone under you is not performing. Leadership is never on the same page, so while policy and procedure is changing constantly, be prepared that your advising will too. And it will be contradictory. The only clear direction offered is who and when to terminate. No cohesiveness, no morale, no clear direction. Just demands, bullying, and turnover.

Advice to Management

Good luck.

3. "The cash store"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Cottonwood Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is probably the only pro. You get a guaranteed raise every so often. You get paid for mileage if you have to drive to another location, etc.

Cons

The hours suck. You pretty much are able to have no life outside of work. You get off at 7 every day. They are stingy with OT. They expect you to stay late and help customers however you have to shave your extra time off from lunch, by coming in later, etc. They constantly watch cameras as if they don’t trust their employees. The insurance offered has horrible coverage! The bonus insensitives aren’t even worth it because it just gets taken away by taxes. They don’t recognize hard work at all.

Advice to Management

Learn how to value your employees.

4. "Job"

I worked at Cottonwood Financial full-time

Pros

Revamp of system gave lots of opportunities to learn new technologies.

Cons

Absent of community/team driven culture, although I can tell they were working on it.

"Good company that I can grow"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in Irving, TX

I have been working at Cottonwood Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We can try different innovative ideas and get support from upper management.
    The analytical team is great. Everyone is knowledgeable, passionate, and hard-working. I can learn new things and grow myself here.

Cons

Colleagues are too good and the pace of work is fast.

"Analyst / Data Scientist"

Current Employee - Analyst in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in Irving, TX

I have been working at Cottonwood Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great learning environment, smart coworkers, merit-based promotions and pay.

I’ve worked at a couple other places, and cottonwood provides by far the most exciting and interesting work and people to learn from. There were a few years where new government regulations came down really hard on the consumer credit industry, but the people at cottonwood financial always work really hard to make sure all aspects are always compliant with all laws and regulations.

Don’t believe all the negative fake news you read about short term small dollar loans. People need quick cash or else they can’t fix their cars, pay for gas, pay for tuition, or pay for some other bill. Almost everyone, like 90%+, can get approved for a loan without a lot of hassle. Even Kohl’s and jcpenney only approve 40% of people applying for their credit cards, for comparison. The APR is really high because when you allow all those people who can’t get credit elsewhere to borrow money, there are a lot who won’t pay the money back—so the company has to make more money from the ones who pay back and are willing to pay more for the loan based on the convenience and ease of getting a loan. Satisfaction rates of customers are over 90%.

As an analyst, I think that the work is really interesting and the people are really smart. The boss who’s in charge of risk management, marketing, decision science and other groups has worked at several big companies and is willing to share his experience and industry best practices. He has hired talented people and developed and promoted from within a lot. The director level managers are young, hungry and energetic people who are developing people the same way and really care about your career advancement. The projects are intellectually challenging and satisfying. I like that I can quantify the impact my projects have on the company’s bottom line. The company is small enough for you to get exposure to all aspects of projects, but big enough to where the impact of many projects is over a million dollars—and that’s fun for me.

Cons

None really—it’s going in a great direction

Advice to Management

We love the continued the growth—it’s exciting!

"Good company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I have been working at Cottonwood Financial full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The employees - great co-workers
    Growth opportunities - it's competitive, but they promote from within
    Stable, growing company

Cons

High family medical benefit costs

Advice to Management

Reduce benefit costs
    Increase PTO

"its not for everyone"

Former Employee - Debt Collector in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Debt Collector in Irving, TX

I worked at Cottonwood Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good pay/ relaxed conditions if you are producing

Cons

poor ins, no life/work balance except for the mgr., schedules were terrible

Advice to Management

you reap what you sow....

9. "Assistant Store Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Cottonwood Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay. You work long hours so you end up with a day off during the week usually.

Cons

No time off for the first year and then it is only one week. The collections that you are required to do can be considered harassment. High turn over.

Advice to Management

Always have a manager in the store. This is not always the case.

"Run For Your Life!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I worked at Cottonwood Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you want to come in 8 to 5 and do the same crap over and over again, You'll get a few opportunities to learn but that's it.

Cons

If you want to get an idea how cheap this company is, all you need to do is walk into their IT offices and you'll see the dirt and 100 year old carpet laying around. You are consistently being watched through the cameras even if you are minute late then you are called upon and expected to stay late to clean up issues. The pay is horrendous, the turn over rate is even worse, the management style they really like to control every move you make. You get docked for pay if you come in late but won't ever get over time for staying late. PTO is a complete joke! You can tell bunch of racist people working there.

Advice to Management

Give opportunities to new IT hires to learn
    Salary means Salary not hourly
    Be encouraging to your employees.