Cottonwood Financial Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 22, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Trevor Ahlberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Small call center, very good pay, low stress, job is not difficult (in 6 reviews)

• If you are motivated and have a drive to succeed then you will be successful at Cottonwood Financial (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefit costs can be high for family coverage (in 3 reviews)

• The Operations department and field employees have a high turnover rate (in 3 reviews)

"Good company that I can grow"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in Irving, TX

I have been working at Cottonwood Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We can try different innovative ideas and get support from upper management.
    The analytical team is great. Everyone is knowledgeable, passionate, and hard-working. I can learn new things and grow myself here.

Cons

Colleagues are too good and the pace of work is fast.

"Analyst / Data Scientist"

Current Employee - Analyst in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in Irving, TX

I have been working at Cottonwood Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great learning environment, smart coworkers, merit-based promotions and pay.

I’ve worked at a couple other places, and cottonwood provides by far the most exciting and interesting work and people to learn from. There were a few years where new government regulations came down really hard on the consumer credit industry, but the people at cottonwood financial always work really hard to make sure all aspects are always compliant with all laws and regulations.

Don’t believe all the negative fake news you read about short term small dollar loans. People need quick cash or else they can’t fix their cars, pay for gas, pay for tuition, or pay for some other bill. Almost everyone, like 90%+, can get approved for a loan without a lot of hassle. Even Kohl’s and jcpenney only approve 40% of people applying for their credit cards, for comparison. The APR is really high because when you allow all those people who can’t get credit elsewhere to borrow money, there are a lot who won’t pay the money back—so the company has to make more money from the ones who pay back and are willing to pay more for the loan based on the convenience and ease of getting a loan. Satisfaction rates of customers are over 90%.

As an analyst, I think that the work is really interesting and the people are really smart. The boss who’s in charge of risk management, marketing, decision science and other groups has worked at several big companies and is willing to share his experience and industry best practices. He has hired talented people and developed and promoted from within a lot. The director level managers are young, hungry and energetic people who are developing people the same way and really care about your career advancement. The projects are intellectually challenging and satisfying. I like that I can quantify the impact my projects have on the company’s bottom line. The company is small enough for you to get exposure to all aspects of projects, but big enough to where the impact of many projects is over a million dollars—and that’s fun for me.

Cons

None really—it’s going in a great direction

Advice to Management

We love the continued the growth—it’s exciting!

"Good company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I have been working at Cottonwood Financial full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The employees - great co-workers
    Growth opportunities - it's competitive, but they promote from within
    Stable, growing company

Cons

High family medical benefit costs

Advice to Management

Reduce benefit costs
    Increase PTO

"its not for everyone"

Former Employee - Debt Collector in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Debt Collector in Irving, TX

I worked at Cottonwood Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good pay/ relaxed conditions if you are producing

Cons

poor ins, no life/work balance except for the mgr., schedules were terrible

Advice to Management

you reap what you sow....

5. "Assistant Store Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Cottonwood Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay. You work long hours so you end up with a day off during the week usually.

Cons

No time off for the first year and then it is only one week. The collections that you are required to do can be considered harassment. High turn over.

Advice to Management

Always have a manager in the store. This is not always the case.

"Run For Your Life!"

I worked at Cottonwood Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you want to come in 8 to 5 and do the same crap over and over again, You'll get a few opportunities to learn but that's it.

Cons

If you want to get an idea how cheap this company is, all you need to do is walk into their IT offices and you'll see the dirt and 100 year old carpet laying around. You are consistently being watched through the cameras even if you are minute late then you are called upon and expected to stay late to clean up issues. The pay is horrendous, the turn over rate is even worse, the management style they really like to control every move you make. You get docked for pay if you come in late but won't ever get over time for staying late. PTO is a complete joke! You can tell bunch of racist people working there.

Advice to Management

Give opportunities to new IT hires to learn
    Salary means Salary not hourly
    Be encouraging to your employees.

"I would rather be homeless!"

I have been working at Cottonwood Financial full-time

Pros

Simple. Just the pay. There are no pros about the benefits.

Cons

The place has the ambiance of a morgue and at best the average IT person has the personality equivalent to that of a dead moth. There is absolutely no team collaboration and each attempt at a project is failure after failure. The security cameras are monitored to see when you get in and if you get there one second late you will hear about it. The benefits are a complete joke as you would have to mortgage your house to pay for just the family medical plan. If you like grey walls and silo'ed development then this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Actually show your employees you value their hard work!

8. "Store Manager"

I worked at Cottonwood Financial full-time

Pros

pay but even that doesn't help with the bs

Cons

poor management, and turn over rate is insane, no security or longevity whatsoever.

Advice to Management

stop being condescending and thinking you are better...the cash store is your career lol come on. Also get better insurance, you guys charge a arm and leg and make money either way, actually use some of it to better your company.

9. "Store mngr"

I worked at Cottonwood Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None don't work here ever

Cons

Everything isn't good here at all

Advice to Management

Stay away from this company

"Credit Collection Rep"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I worked at Cottonwood Financial (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is good. I worked part-time & starting pay was $17.75 hr. I was laid off after almost 4yrs & the ending pay for me was $21.78.

Cons

The company (management) could care less about you. They will fire you at the drop of a dime. Benefits, I'm told were horrible. Since this was my part-time job I'm grateful not to need their insurance. It was stated to be 2nd class insurance coverage.

Advice to Management

Show a lot more care for your employees & professionalism. Upgrade your building. The carpet & equipment is all old & outdated. Employees in the collections dept shouldn't have to go into the restroom to get water for the coffee pot (that is disgusting). Get a real breakroom.