Cottonwood Financial Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 20, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Trevor Ahlberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "You get exposure to upper management, including the CEO/owner, and you are rewarded for hard work and dedication to your job" (in 6 reviews)

• "good pay/ relaxed conditions if you are producing" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "The Operations department and field employees have a high turnover rate" (in 3 reviews)

• "I believe people have a right to know why they are being let go" (in 3 reviews)

"One of the Best in My Career"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Analyst
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Analyst

I have been working at Cottonwood Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The reviews on Glassdoor had me really iffy about even accepting an interview with Cottonwood, and I was pleasantly surprised after being hired on just how much I love this job. The people are smart, professional, and wonderful to work with. Many of the employees, even the younger folks, have been here for 5+ years. That says something, because most millennials cycle through most jobs every 2 years. I absolutely love it here. My bosses are brilliant, great people. I feel challenged and rewarded when it is due. Pay is great.

Cons

You don't get as much time off as one would like, but it's really not a huge deal if you love coming to your job anyway.

"AP Clerk"

Former Employee - A/P Clerk in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - A/P Clerk in Irving, TX

I worked at Cottonwood Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is the only thing I see good about this company. Compensation isn't going to keep people there

Cons

Micromanagement, Lack of Leadership, Lack of Communication, No Culture, negative environment, Cheap benefits

Advice to Management

Please train supervisors properly by sending them to conference workshops on how to lead people. Find people who are people persons before you give them that position. Teach them how to relate to people and lite a fire in their co workers instead of underneath them. Also you might want to reduce the interest rates of your loans.

Attn Operations team. I understand it's the money maker but if you really cared about the people then put them in a better situation with lower interest rates even with bad credit. If people found out about the interest rates and how you all work with people, trust me, this will send loan sales through the roof.

Your system is nice but there is no culture there. It doesn't have to drastically change but add some life to your environment and maybe, just maybe the turn over rate wouldn't be so high. I saw the reviews before I took a job here and I made a mistake and ignored it. Now I see why

Also please and I mean please hire a customer service team. Your collectors aren't properly trained to deal with your customers problems outside of collecting loans. Seriously

With all due respect!

3. "Perfect Fit For Me"

Current Employee - Confidential in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Confidential in Irving, TX

I have been working at Cottonwood Financial full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Cottonwood is the perfect fit for me. It's not too big and not too small. You get exposure to upper management, including the CEO/owner, and you are rewarded for hard work and dedication to your job. I've met the CEO. He is very nice and seems to really care about his employees.

I read the reviews on here complaining about the company, but I've never heard that stuff from my coworkers. Most of the negative reviews are probably from people who were let go. I bet if more current employees put reviews on here, Cottonwood would have 4+ stars, but most people who are happy in their jobs don't go online to post about it.

Cons

The PTO policy is outdated

"department manager"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Irving, TX

I have been working at Cottonwood Financial full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Growth company. No nonsense, nimble, methodical, focused leader in its segment. Great salary package. Good group of professionals. Solid executive management, starts with CEO.

Cons

No thrills, benefits are weak.

Advice to Management

Stay the course.

5. "Don’t do it"

Former Employee - Ops in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Ops in Irving, TX

I worked at Cottonwood Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

pay...get to travel at the expense of the company

Cons

everything. you will work be on edge everyday, not knowing who will be gone next.

Advice to Management

with such an emphasis on training and development you’d think the company would invest more into developing people, rather than firing them without warning.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I worked at Cottonwood Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay. I am grateful for the experience & opportunity to practice my skills & learn how not to treat people.

Cons

Scare tactics are used to force performance Be prepared to be yelled & cursed at for any big or small mistake, or if someone under you is not performing. Leadership is never on the same page, so in the midst of policy & procedure changing weekly, be prepared that your advising will too--and it will be contradictory to previous messages/direction. The only clear direction offered is who & when to terminate, but even then the reasons were sometimes unclear. No cohesiveness, no morale, no clear direction. Just demands, bullying, and turnover.

Advice to Management

Goodluck.

"Not worth the "Cash""

Former Employee - Solutions Developer in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Solutions Developer in Irving, TX

I worked at Cottonwood Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pays a lot and I made a lot of friends.

Cons

I signed up because the position was called 'Solution Developer' because I love programming as a hobby and work. However this is NOT a programming job, it is mundane data correction and slight hacking in their nasty nasty code that has been beaten by many shotty programmers since the 90s. Not a programming job, don't work here if that's what you want to do for a living.

Advice to Management

Keep people in the loop, include them in solutions, and don't lie to them about their position!

8. "The cash store"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Cottonwood Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is probably the only pro. You get a guaranteed raise every so often. You get paid for mileage if you have to drive to another location, etc.

Cons

The hours suck. You pretty much are able to have no life outside of work. You get off at 7 every day. They are stingy with OT. They expect you to stay late and help customers however you have to shave your extra time off from lunch, by coming in later, etc. They constantly watch cameras as if they don’t trust their employees. The insurance offered has horrible coverage! The bonus insensitives aren’t even worth it because it just gets taken away by taxes. They don’t recognize hard work at all.

Advice to Management

Learn how to value your employees.

"Great Job"

Current Employee - OTM
    Current Employee - OTM

I have been working at Cottonwood Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is an exciting place to work! There are always new challenges and goals to achieve . The work and projects are ever changing so the work doesn't become stagnant. The company is growing, so there are many new and exciting changes happening that I'm proud to be part of. The atmosphere and company culture are welcoming and friendly. The pay/benefits are good and the hours are great.

Cons

Growth within the company is not hard to achieve, however I wish there were other paths. Again, the company is growing so we will see for the future!

Advice to Management

Break room with a table to enjoy lunch.

10. "Job"

I worked at Cottonwood Financial full-time

Pros

Revamp of system gave lots of opportunities to learn new technologies.

Cons

Absent of community/team driven culture, although I can tell they were working on it.