Couchbase Reviews in Mountain View, CA | Glassdoor

4.4
Couchbase Chief Executive Officer Matt Cain
Matt Cain

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great customers, Great People, Great Products and a rare opportunity to join a company on a great growth path (in 8 reviews)

• Couchbase is a great culture, and they want to pay their reps (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Those "growing pains" in older tools are still in place, but change is coming (in 5 reviews)

• it doesn't seem sales leadership knows how to improve efficiency, and they won't take suggestions (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Dream Job!"

I have been working at Couchbase full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Fantastic culture!
    * Focused, energetic team with aligned goals - no corporate politics
    * True collaboration with everyone playing their positions
    * Great market opportunity and growth potential

Cons

I've been here a few months and I haven't found any "cons" yet. If I had to pick one is that the whole world doesn't know about us - yet... I'm very pleased with my decision to take a leap of faith on Couchbase: thus far this is the the most exciting and rewarding position I've had in a fairly long career.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing. Strong focus on growth and culture is a winning combination for customers and employees alike.

Sep 19, 2017 – VP, People

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! We're proud of the culture we've built and happy to know when employees feel the same. Here's to a great rest of the year.

2. "Fast growing and exciting company"

Current Employee - Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Couchbase (More than a year)

Pros

great product, great teams, leading edge technology in a fast growing market segment.

Cons

fast paced, need to know how to prioritize to avoid burning out

Sep 19, 2017 – VP, People

Thanks for the feedback. These are definitely exciting times at Couchbase, and I can assure you that there are plenty more ahead!

"Only the product is good"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Couchbase full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Couchbase product is really solid compared to other databases. Smart people, good culture.

Cons

Work is not exciting. Don't go by what receruiters sale you. Lots of people have left. Pay is low, not many perks compared to other similar companies.

Jul 24, 2017 – Communications Manager, HR

Thank you for sharing your experience working at Couchbase. We encourage feedback at all levels and are continuously looking to improve our employee offerings and experience. Our recruiters speak... More

"Why have so many people left Couchbase?"

I worked at Couchbase full-time

Pros

- Very nice people at the individual contributor level, as well as some in management.
    - Office very well designed and comfortable to work in

Cons

Looking back on my own experience at Couchbase I am struck by the astonishing talent exodus at the company available for anyone to see on LinkedIn. While I was there the management politics were cut-throat, information was hoarded and the atmosphere was rife with secrecy and paranoia that obstructed productivity and drove talented employees out the door. There was little attempt that I saw by management to curb any of this, or even to acknowledge it was happening. To this day I am still being alerted to congratulate former employees on their new positions at other companies, so perhaps not much has changed.

Advice to Management

Stop being so disengaged.

Sep 19, 2017 – VP, People

Thank you for your thoughts. We’re proud of the talent we’ve been able to welcome and cultivate at Couchbase. We also understand that recruiting the best and the brightest means some will make... More

5. "Technology, Salary and great people to work with"

I have been working at Couchbase full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People, People and People. I rest my case.

Cons

A few based on bay are standards of perks, but nothing serious which would make me walk away.

Advice to Management

We are doing employee recognition at small scale, it would be nice to do it more frequently.

Jul 24, 2017 – Communications Manager, HR

We're glad you're having a great experience at Couchbase. We are working on a larger scale employee recognition program, but open to any and all suggestions. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!... More

6. "Great Place, Real Work"

Current Employee - Lead User Experience Designer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Lead User Experience Designer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Couchbase full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For engineers, at least, there are zero politics and reasonable expectations about the dent you can make in a mountain of work we have ahead of us.

Cons

It is more a collection of individuals than a mature company (not a bad thing necessarily), so don't expect a lot of extra hand-holding -- you have to figure a few things out yourself.

Advice to Management

Keep getting the employees together for regular little things. We have lots of remote employees and even within engineering groups, there is some silo-ing.

Jul 24, 2017 – Communications Manager, HR

Thank you for your review! We'll make sure to keep facilitating great events and get togethers for all employees to participate in.

7. "Great People, Great Technology, Winning Business Model"

Current Employee - Vice President of Technical Support in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President of Technical Support in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Couchbase full-time (More than a year)

Pros

What drew me to Couchbase was the technology initially, what's been the most rewarding has been the people and the constant sense that it's a company on the right track and headed for great success. As a support VP I've rarely had the experience to work at a place where all of the organizations involved seemed to 100% aligned and in tune like I find at Couchbase. The teams are energetic, committed and amazingly all trying to do the right thing, in the end, for the customer first. That's true right from the CEO on down. Definitely one of the best experiences I've had in my career.

Cons

The only con for me is that it's not HQ'ed in San Francisco. Beyond that it would be hard for me to point to something that is a downside for me.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on the main goal, providing fantastic technology to a market that is hungry for what we produce. Keep an eye closely glued to quality. Keep the engine running at high speed. Fantastic stuff.

"Rapid growth, more opportunity, exciting times"

I have been working at Couchbase full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Although small, the group of people working at Couchbase are among the smartest and most dedicated. Everyone really believes in the product and celebrates wins together. There are get togethers and lunches that foster great culture, not to mention an always full kitchen with anything you might need.

Cons

The benefits could use some improvement and expansion, that looks to be on the roadmap in the future.

Advice to Management

I think employees would like to see actual financial figures. We know we're doing well - but how well? And compared to whom?

9. "Inspiring with good strengths and lots of potential"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Couchbase full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, good technology and well established as a leader in the NoSQL landscape.

Cons

A lot of work to be done! Aggressive, post-startup growth phase, so everyone is working very hard and challenging each other to hit new milestones.

"Good potential..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Couchbase full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Couchbase creates amazing technology that can really change many things (obviously for regulars and even for many techies, Couchbase as name does not ring the bell)
    - There are definitely a lot of opportunities to wear multiple hats and pick up new skills as long you are willing to do so.
    - Great engineering team that is always willing to help solving even non-engineering problems!
    - Solid CEO who has pretty straight forward plans.
    - Office in SF in addition to Mountain View if you live in the city

Cons

- Lack of transparency (right hand does not see what left hand is doing)
    - Too many Directors and VPs
    - Lack of life/work balance for certain teams/people. Emails/IMs are being sent pretty much 24/7 with expectations that things will be fixed right away

Advice to Management

- Eliminate disconnect between teams
    - Announce product roadmaps to the whole organization
    - Let employees move into new roles (not just management)
    - Since NoSQL is a new area, reach out to universities and start educating engineers of the future since adoption is important. "We have online classes on our web-site" does not work!
    - Org chart is important when you have company that has more than 300 employees

Jan 24, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thank you for the feedback on your time here at Couchbase. We also believe that our amazing technology can make for incredible change, regardless of household name. The chance to grow and learn new... More