Council On International Educational Exchange Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
James P. Pellow

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Filed all of the necessary paperwork, had the chance to meet great people in the program (in 10 reviews)

• Premiums for health insurance can be a tad expensive if you have to cover a spouse as well, but still manageable (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • You'd think that a non-profit in a hip city with a mission to do cool things couldn't lose (in 12 reviews)

• working long hours and a lot of overtime (in 9 reviews)

1. "Director Level position with a international team"

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Council On International Educational Exchange full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have a lot of latitudes to create my own programs and teams

Cons

Sometimes there was lack of communication between HQ and the centers

"Institutional Relations Manager"

I have been working at Council On International Educational Exchange full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to travel internationally. Work with interesting people.

Cons

There is a very stressful work environment

"Recruit Work and Travel applicants from abroad to work at seasonal employers in the US"

Current Employee - International Recruitment Coordinator in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - International Recruitment Coordinator in Portland, ME

I have been working at Council On International Educational Exchange full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, warm community, positive company values, opportunities to travel

Cons

Low salary for long hours, difficult to move into upper management positions, expect mainly lateral moves within the company

"Lacks leadership, vision and authenticity"

I worked at Council On International Educational Exchange full-time

Pros

Good Health Insurance, cool co-workers

Cons

Absolutely ZERO leadership at the top. CEO and his merry band of cronies are incapable of anything other than smoke and mirrors. The inability to stay with the times through a vision, market analysis and engagement with the students and participants keeps the programs dated, not relevant and not in line with what students are looking for.

You will work ALL THE TIME for very low salaries. Temporary workers are baited with the promise of a potential job, while everyone is well aware there is a slim chance unless you stay on as a temp for 1-2 years.

The financial health of the organization is bleak as they have not diversified their income streams. They are in the midst of relocating positions to Boston where the CEO is located. Key upper management are remote and ineffective with this set up.

Advice to Management

The Board of Directors needs to pull it together, get rid of the upper management and make CIEE all it has the potential to be.

"Kids for Cash"

Former Employee - Coordinator in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Portland, ME

I worked at Council On International Educational Exchange full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great location, friendly staff, fun work enviroment

Cons

Unfortunately the company no longer lives up to its mission statement. The company is more focused on the sales side (home agencies, employers, educational institutions) rather than the participants - sometimes even putting them in dangerous or risky situations for the sake of a few extra dollars.

CIEE does not adequately support its participants and will let anybody on the program as long as they have the money to pay the program fees - regardless of their intent, prior indiscretions on the program, and mental/physical health.

This company does not support its employees- only a select few- and often requires employees to handle stressful situations that go beyond their rank. Managers often play the "blame game"and take little to no accountability for their actions. The company has a team of dedicated employees who really try to go above and beyond but instead of being rewarded with salary increases - they are rewarded with lavish parties and building renovations, which is surely just for the press and a way to bolster the company's image. The company is absolutely obsessed with their image and refuses to acknowledge the fact that most of their lower-level employees need to work 2 jobs in order to keep up with the cost of living in the Portland area. So as an employee of CIEE, you will have the opportunity to drink free beer and eat some free food - then go home to the apartment that you share with 3 other people because you cannot afford it any other way.

The high school program is particularly a mess. Speaking as a former employee, I would never ever let my child participate in one of CIEE's high school exchange programs. They have very little regard for the participants'well-being (especially emotionally) and do nothing to support host families. They often put host families in very uncomfortable situations that could have been prevented. They let children who are clearly a threat to themselves and others remain on the high school program, as it is the most lucrative for the company.

There is very little unity within the company and the morale is increasingly low. Your treatment and importance all depends on which floor you work on. Although it can be a fun atmosphere - it reminded me of high school with all of the catty cliques.

If you want to have a fun year in Portland working in an international setting, this company is for you. However, you will need to put your morals and ethics on the back burner. Don't plan on staying long-term.

Advice to Management

Listen and respect your employees. Management is sexist and abrasive at times. I did not feel supported in my job at all.

"Self-appointed CMO Rules by Intimidation"

I have been working at Council On International Educational Exchange full-time

Pros

Benefits, peers, work/life balance, travel

Cons

Leadership, high turnover, CEO, CMO, lack of people management skills

Advice to Management

Tyrant of a CMO who doesn’t listen to her team and turns on them if they speak up against any of her ideas. A lot of time and money is spent chasing her ideas that go nowhere. If she actually tapped into the wealth of knowledge within her own team and stopped playing favorites, she wouldn’t be spending millions on dead ends and bad decisions from a select few.

"Serious management and info structure issues"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Council On International Educational Exchange full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Team oriented environment is the only pro to working for this company

Cons

Management has it all wrong. Focus is on bottom line with no concern for clients and staff.

Advice to Management

Get your act together.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Manager in Portland, ME

Pros

Great co-workers, good benefits, interesting work, occasional travel, nice building,

Cons

Poor transparency, senior leadership, and value of staff. Not enough resources or work capacity to meet expected work quality or quantity. Variability across departments and programs is bad for morale.

"CEO is destroying a once-wonderful company"

Former Employee - Study Abroad Advisor in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Study Abroad Advisor in Portland, ME

Pros

For many, on paper this is the "dream job." The employees who seek work at CIEE generally truly believe in its mission with a fervent passion. When I was hired, I believed wholeheartedly that this was the perfect job for me. I was working in study abroad with a region of countries I loved, my fellow teammates were wonderful, I enjoyed getting to know my overseas staff over daily email conversations (and occasionally in person).

Cons

Shortly after I began working at CIEE, the new CEO took over and transformed the entire organization into a sales-driven organization that could care less about staff happiness and fulfillment and the quality of our programs and the students we selected to go on them. At one point, we used to read (well, ahem, "skim") student essays about why they wanted to study abroad, we mulled over their GPA and any past disciplinary issues or health issues that might prevent them from being optimal candidates for the particular program they had selected. As time went by, we started to eliminate are application requirements to basic information (God forbid any effort be made into applying to our programs if you can't just apply from your smart phone between classes, right?). Although it's been a few years now since I worked there, I get the sense from the reviews here and the info on the flashy website, that anyone gets accepted so long as you have the cash to pay for your overly priced program. Once I was given bonus money for getting excellent reviews from my students as an advisor, but by the time I departed the company this was no longer factored into my bonus money, as it didn't matter. All bonus money was tied to impossible sales goals. Doesn't that say enough about the company's motivation?

Work/Life balance was also terrible. I worked frequent long hours, because I cared and got rewarded nothing for it.

The CEO is running the organization into the ground. Enough has already been said in other reviews, so I will leave it at that. It's sad to see CIEE get destroyed by someone who cares so little about anyone but himself.

Advice to Management

Speak up! Raise your voices and get this CEO out sooner than later.

"SCAMMERS"

Pros

Probably their ability to partner with a great teaching center in Vietnam. It was mainly all cons. The organization was poor

Cons

Absolute trash. I’m really disappointed going through CIEE for their teach abroad program. They were very unorganized and just promoted themselves as a company that wants to help people go abroad but they really just want to take your money. There are better ways of teaching abroad. They told us about our options when it was too late. Their program was priced more than others and I’m not sure what the additional benefits were. Everyone in my program was equally upset and unpleased.