Council On International Educational Exchange Reviews | Glassdoor

Council On International Educational Exchange Reviews

Found 150 reviews

3.1
James P. Pellow
Pros
  • "CIEE was incredibly helpful in preparing me for my time abroad(in 24 reviews)

• "Portland is a really cool location for a headquarters even if it does feel a little small at times(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "I’m really disappointed going through CIEE for their teach abroad program(in 32 reviews)

• "Feels more like a normal corporation than a mission driven non-profit(in 15 reviews)

1. "Great Culture"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Boston, MA

I have been working at Council On International Educational Exchange full-time for more than a year

Pros

I can't speak highly enough of this company and my job. For the first time in my 7 years since I have graduated I feel that I have found a place where I see myself for the long haul. I believe with the start of 2018 this company has really focused on bettering the internal culture and have put a focus on hiring the right talent that will work hard and bring a positive vibe to our company.

Cons

I do not have any cons

Advice to Management

Keep on focusing on the right things, you guys have your eye on making this company the best it can be.

Council On International Educational Exchange2019-03-13
  2. "Great place to work with good pay, benefits, company culture and management in IT is good."

Current Employee - Help Desk Specialist

Pros

Great management and team on the IT side. People are generally pleasant to work with and end users are pretty well-versed in technology because the company culture is younger. People are willing to listen to ideas and join on a collaborative effort. Very helpful. The company culture is also relaxed. Pay and benefits are great.

Cons

Can be stressful and busy, but not a huge con if you don't mind that.

Council On International Educational Exchange2019-03-13
  3. "Fun and educational"

Former Employee - Program Leader

I worked at Council On International Educational Exchange full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flights paid for as is housing

Cons

Short, not much potential for growth

Council On International Educational Exchange2019-03-06
  4. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Portland, ME

I have been working at Council On International Educational Exchange full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Fair salary, great benefits, opportunities to travel domestically and internationally. Very good work / life balance as there are ample holidays and a very team oriented atmosphere. No one is an Island.

Cons

Nothing come to mind. An overall effort is made to work with staff and clients in a progressive way.

Council On International Educational Exchange2019-02-22

"Nonprofit in Name Only"

Current Employee - Coordinator in Portland, ME

Pros

If you're in the right position and you're someone that upper-management has singled out, there are lot of opportunities to advance and travel. However, if you're not one of these people don't be fooled by false promises. There are many people at this company that are incredibly overworked, but there's also probably 50% that have nearly nothing to do on a daily basis. They are waaaay overstaffed in most areas and...

Cons

Upper-management plays favorites and if you're not a favorite don't expect to advance or travel, because those opportunities will be given to other people. The extra vacation time is great, but with low salaries you never are able to really do anything on your days off. Their salaries are honestly pathetic with the cost of living in Portland. Almost everyone I know who works there has a second job, which is ridiculous...

Advice to Management

Pay a liveable wage and maybe you can keep some of your employees. Also, don't play favorites. Stop trying to hire more people and look inside your existing pool of employees, because you're way overstaffed.

Council On International Educational Exchange2019-02-24

"A year and half and I never got hired past a temp"

Current Employee - Coordinator in Portland, ME

Pros

A great mission that is doing a lot of important work in helping students study abroad. Some opportunity for travel. Young, fun environment to work at.

Cons

I worked over a year and half for this company as a temp (as I was told by multiple people both in and out of the company that this was the best way to 'get my foot in the door') and heard from every manager I had that I was a great fit, and a hard worker, and got recommended for multiple jobs. I got screwed over at every chance by corporate BS. Instead of pulling from the large and dedicated pool of qualified temps for...

Advice to Management

Treat employees better.

Council On International Educational Exchange2019-02-19

"A nonprofit with a very corporate, for-profit, detached feel"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Portland, ME

I worked at Council On International Educational Exchange full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Some great people work here, but that's about as positive as it gets

Cons

Low to medium pay with few advancement opportunities. Obscure evaluation processes, which keep employees in the dark about important things such as salary adjustments. A brick wall seems to surround middle/upper management; communication is, across the board, a huge problem. Whether talking about internal processes or policies or talking about the work itself, myself and most of the other employees I knew often felt like...

Advice to Management

Address the cons above.

Council On International Educational Exchange2019-02-01
  8. "Chinese lecturer"

I have been working at Council On International Educational Exchange part-time

Pros

Great students who are highly engaged

Cons

It is a part time job based on a short term program so the teaching time is very short

Council On International Educational Exchange2018-12-20

"Operations"

I have been working at Council On International Educational Exchange full-time

Pros

Work perks, social gatherings, young and fun after work

Cons

Pay is low. HIGH stress

Advice to Management

Too many chefs in the kitchen

Council On International Educational Exchange2018-11-26

"Not a long term job"

Current Employee - Admissions Coordinator in Boston, MA

Pros

The people are friendly but there is no growth and the pay is low

Cons

-Low salary -tasks are repetitive

Council On International Educational Exchange2018-11-27