Council On International Educational Exchange Reviews | Glassdoor

Council On International Educational Exchange Reviews

Updated Sep 30, 2019

Found 158 reviews

2.7
Council On International Educational Exchange CEO James P. Pellow (no image)
James P. Pellow
Pros
  • "I have worked at CIEE for nearly two years and I find it to be a great place to work(in 25 reviews)

• "Great mission and perks if working in Portland(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "The program offerings are continually budget cut so that CIEE is effectively a very expensive nanny service with minimal cultural benefit(in 33 reviews)

• "It's a non-profit so some departments are understaffed(in 16 reviews)

1. "Great Culture"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Boston, MA

I have been working at Council On International Educational Exchange full-time for less than a year

Pros

I can't speak highly enough of this company and my job. For the first time in my 7 years since I have graduated I feel that I have found a place where I see myself for the long haul. I believe with the start of 2018 this company has really focused on bettering the internal culture and have put a focus on hiring the right talent that will work hard and bring a positive vibe to our company.

Cons

I do not have any cons

Advice to Management

Keep on focusing on the right things, you guys have your eye on making this company the best it can be.

Council On International Educational Exchange2019-03-13
  2. "Great place to work remotely"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Portland, ME

Pros

supportive manager and control over your territory

Cons

Operations and Sales are not in sync

Advice to Management

Create path to leadership within the department to keep your better people

Council On International Educational Exchange2019-08-15

"Good benefits, but minimal room for growth and questionable commitment to mission"

Former Employee - Study Abroad Advisor

I worked at Council On International Educational Exchange full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pleasant building, great location / city; friendly fun people to work with; chance to travel (depending on role); good entrance into international education field

Cons

Extremely limited room for growth; lack of faith in leadership / commitment to company mission. Low morale on an individual basis (though colleagues enjoy working with one another).

Council On International Educational Exchange2019-08-13

"An excellent mission lost in incompetent leadership and revenue only focused objectives"

I have been working at Council On International Educational Exchange

Pros

Incredibly talented staff Strong holiday and vacation time Travel opportunities for those in good standing with management Opportunities to connect and engage with international partners Decent health insurance, though this has declined since switching to a new carrier

Cons

Very little opportunity to raise in the ranks if you're not a yes man Abysmal management, transparency, and delegation of tasks Gross misspending and ethical concerns on the new Boston office. Poor employee morale and large turnover Low salaries and pay discrepancy among departments Lack of trust in CEO, who rarely ever visits headquarters and seems more interested in turning the organization into a business... than a non profit All sales driven with a continual slide in program quality Horrific interdepartmental communication, systemic patterns of blaming another department rather than finding the root of issue Unneccessary spending on holiday parties and events rather than directing resources to better salaries and incentives Poor training or in some cases, no training at all

Advice to Management

Please listen to staff concerns and acknowledge low morale. This mission and company is filled with talented people who would work here for life, myself included. Until these issues are acknowledged and management and leadership improves, CIEE will continue to lose great people and quality. I wanted to work here for life and now I'm just looking for anything to work somewhere else.

Council On International Educational Exchange2019-09-13

"A company that is focused on sales only."

in Kittery, ME

I worked at Council On International Educational Exchange

Pros

Working remotely-a remote team that is supportive of each other, great maternity leave and other benefits.

Cons

Management from the President down are completely incompetent. Sales numbers drive everything and the open campus model they push you to sell is just a glorified educational tour.

Advice to Management

Please stop forcing your team to sell a program that has no integrity or quality-tend to that and the numbers will come on their own instead of having to give massive discounts and back door deals to fill your island centers. Most of us believe deeply in study abroad, but you are making it harder day by day,

Council On International Educational Exchange2019-07-25

"Poor Management and Work- Life Balance"

I worked at Council On International Educational Exchange full-time

Pros

Co- workers and benefits.

Cons

The company has lost their mission, and is focused on sales not a quality cultural exchange experience for international students. They have extremely high turnover which is always a poor sign, and I would suggest other organizations in this space that run a much better program for both the students and employees. The organization is not run by a qualified management team, but more a group of friends trying... different ideas out each month to increase sales, which leads to disorganization and a lack of stability.

Council On International Educational Exchange2019-05-31

"Great place to work with good pay, benefits, company culture and management in IT is good."

Current Employee - Help Desk Specialist

Pros

Great management and team on the IT side. People are generally pleasant to work with and end users are pretty well-versed in technology because the company culture is younger. People are willing to listen to ideas and join on a collaborative effort. Very helpful. The company culture is also relaxed. Pay and benefits are great.

Cons

Can be stressful and busy, but not a huge con if you don't mind that.

Council On International Educational Exchange2019-03-13
  8. "Fun and educational"

Former Employee - Program Leader

I worked at Council On International Educational Exchange full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flights paid for as is housing

Cons

Short, not much potential for growth

Council On International Educational Exchange2019-03-06
  9. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Portland, ME

I have been working at Council On International Educational Exchange full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fair salary, great benefits, opportunities to travel domestically and internationally. Very good work / life balance as there are ample holidays and a very team oriented atmosphere. No one is an Island.

Cons

Nothing come to mind. An overall effort is made to work with staff and clients in a progressive way.

Council On International Educational Exchange2019-02-22

"Nonprofit in Name Only"

Current Employee - Coordinator in Portland, ME

Pros

If you're in the right position and you're someone that upper-management has singled out, there are lot of opportunities to advance and travel. However, if you're not one of these people don't be fooled by false promises. There are many people at this company that are incredibly overworked, but there's also probably 50% that have nearly nothing to do on a daily basis. They are waaaay overstaffed in most areas... and understaffed in a few, which just leaves everyone bitter. Portland is a really cool location for a headquarters even if it does feel a little small at times. Lots of vacation days off compared to most other companies and nonprofits. They are willing to hire truly entry level employees and take a chance on them, which I appreciate

Cons

Upper-management plays favorites and if you're not a favorite don't expect to advance or travel, because those opportunities will be given to other people. The extra vacation time is great, but with low salaries you never are able to really do anything on your days off. Their salaries are honestly pathetic with the cost of living in Portland. Almost everyone I know who works there has a second job, which is... ridiculous considering some of these people have their masters and speak 2-3 languages. Turn over rate is extremely high for this reason. They like to pretend that they are a nonprofit but DO NOT have the students' best interests at heart. Most positions operate like sales and have little to nothing to do with their mission of increasing cultural awareness. This is exemplified by the rise of programs that have poor academic quality and are mostly just lavish vacations. Also, their 403b contribution policy is BS. They don't contribute for the first 2 years knowing full well they pay so poorly that no one in their right mind would stay more than 2 years at that salary. Lots of cattiness as lower-level employees fight over the few management positions.

Advice to Management

Pay a liveable wage and maybe you can keep some of your employees. Also, don't play favorites. Stop trying to hire more people and look inside your existing pool of employees, because you're way overstaffed.

Council On International Educational Exchange2019-02-24