Counsel On Call Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Jane Hanner Allen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Managed services reviewer"

Former Employee - Document Review Attorney in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Document Review Attorney in Nashville, TN

I worked at Counsel On Call full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Caring leadership at MSC in Nashville. Always polite and helpful. Pay rate is better than other agencies for experienced attorneys, $30+ per hour. Congenial atmosphere with snacks, drinks, lunch on Wednesdays, and holiday parties. Nice coworkers who I enjoyed being around. Some oddballs and unpleasant people but they were the exception. We are lawyers after all! Did offer some free CLE. Very flexible with part time, moms, etc once you prove yourself. I think they may now require 35 hours per week. Benefits are after a number of hours accrued.

Cons

Can have weeks between projects and can't count on specific time periods because it may finish early. Some problem/unpleasant reviewers always are working while others aren't.

Not their fault but have learned that Document review is looked down upon by most legal employers if you are trying to go back to salaried employment. My experience, they don't really understand what it entails or even count it as substantive experience. So the longer you do it, it may be looked as unfavorable when you are interviewing.

Advice to Management

Get rid of underperforming/lazy reviewers who have consistently failed so others can have work. Don't separate so much into corporate secondment jobs versus managed services.

2. "Exceptionally lengthy and time consuming hiring process, yet very quick and easy process to get canned."

Former Employee - Contractor in Bentonville, AR
    Former Employee - Contractor in Bentonville, AR

I worked at Counsel On Call full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A moderately acceptable paycheck dependent upon assignment. They advertise 45K/year on indeed, the actual number was $16/hr or 32k/yr. Although deceptive, acceptable pay for some people in certain situations.

Cons

I agreed and was hired to work on a contract with Counsel on Call (COC) for a 2 year term. After receiving prior approval in writing from COC to have 3 weeks off in the summer for a prior obligation regarding my masters degree, I believed this opportunity was a good fit for my situation. I have never been so wrong, the contract was with Walmart corporate office , and when I reminded the mid-level manager at Walmart regarding my requests for time off, I was mysteriously fired the next day for "not following process". This lack of communication between my supervisor at COC and clients at Walmart caused me to lose my job while completing my degree and turn down other opportunities during the 2 month hiring process. So be prepared to be a pawn, not a person and be used to fill an open contract. I haven't been fired, ever, in 35 years, especially for not following process and without ever receiving criticism, performance improvement evaluation, or any other feedback. A very sad overall experience.

Advice to Management

If you are going to get approval for an employee to have time off, make sure the client acknowledges and approves beforehand to avoid wasting the employees time.

"Part-time Attorney"

I have been working at Counsel On Call part-time

Pros

The hourly pay is fine, and after you have been working for a year, there are benefits. Compared with other ways of practicing law, this way allows you to immerse yourself in the work while you are in the office and then completely separate from it when you leave the office. The workplace is enjoyable. There are many different types of snacks and drinks in the kitchen. On Wednesdays, Counsel on Call buys lunch for everyone.

Cons

Attorneys work on a project basis, but there are not enough projects to keep attorneys working. As a result, an attorney can go weeks or even months between projects. (So, although the hourly pay may be fine, the overall monthly or annual compensation may be very low.) Then when they're on a project, they are often pressured to do the work in a much shorter time period than may be required in order to do the work well.

Advice to Management

Get more projects.

4. "Accounting"

I worked at Counsel On Call full-time

Pros

Great business value for customers

Cons

Challenge to find resources to grow

Advice to Management

Sales, sales, sales

"Confidential"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Counsel On Call full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great management and company to work for; flexible schedule; pay.

Cons

I do not have anything to list in this category.

Advice to Management

None.

"Due Diligence"

Pros

Nice work environment, low stress

Cons

Lowish pay, sometimes long breaks

"The Dallas office goes out of their way to make the workplace employee-friendly."

Pros

The staff act like they love their jobs, and want everyone there to feel the same. The hourly wages are competitive, they pay overtime at overtime rates if their clients agree (and therefore try hold hours to 40/hour max), have comfortable facilities, and treat the reviewers like the intelligent attorneys they are. They go above & beyond, providing up to 3 hours CLE once or twice a year on interesting topics, occasionally having employee appreciation activities, even encouraging reviewers to celebrate Halloween in costume.

Cons

I worked two projects there in 2014, a traditional doc review that lasted a couple of months and a unique project at a client's offices helping find info in archaic data systems. I was happy at both, and really don't have any complaints.

Advice to Management

Get more projects!

"Attorney"

Pros

Their employees are fantastic, and you are treated incredibly well. The atmosphere is positive, and enjoyable.

Cons

Waiting between projects without income is the nature of the job.

Advice to Management

Training(s) could be smoother, more efficient, in a shorter period of time.

"Fast paced environment with new leadership team that can take company to the next level."

Pros

Everyday presents challenges and opportunities for professional growth.

Cons

Work life balance doesn't exist.

Advice to Management

Continue to evaluate staffing needs to ensure organization gets support needed and employees can meat abolish work life balance.

"Dallas doesn't care about your work/life balance"

Former Employee - Contract Attorney in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Contract Attorney in Dallas, TX

Pros

free snacks at times, thats all

Cons

Make sure to not make this a career- they use employees for their benefit

Advice to Management

Respect employees who work hard