Countrywide Financial Reviews | Glassdoor

Countrywide Financial Reviews

Updated May 2, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Greatness only lasts as long as the integrity does."

Current Employee - Vice President, Applications Development in Simi Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President, Applications Development in Simi Valley, CA

Pros

There are many talented and hard working people who are employed with Countrywide. They are mainly found down in the trenches were the real work is done. However, there are small glimmers of light here and there among the executive management also. I have found the best way to see where those lights shine brightest are where they are surrounded by loyal employees who have high productivity and even though the job isn't the most glamorous or best paid, they stay with it and are relatively satisfied with their job. In my many years at Countrywide I have met many, many talented people whom it has been my greatest joy and pleasure to make acquaintances with, to grow with and to encourage and help each other out.

Cons

The employees became expendable assets that were no longer valued for their hard work, their ideas for improvements, etc. Unless you were an Managing Director or above, you were not given any worthwhile notice, recognition nor compensation. Countrywide used to be a great place to work. They used to at least try to show that they cared about the employees. After having been with the company for many years, I have seen bad management come in and just propagate more bad management as they have promoted those that have a great exterior presentation but absolutely no idea how to lead let alone manage people. I am hoping that Bank of America will be able to pick up the pieces of a once decent company that greed and ivory tower mentality caused to collapse.

Advice to Management

It is truly too late for this company itself, but for those in upper management that have been allowed to stay on with Bank of America, I would hope that they would wake up and realize that they are accountable for their actions. I would hope that they would have a desire to learn what it means to be a leader and a member of a team. Instead of trying to get the next level of perks and not caring about who they left bloodied on the trail to the top or what their decisions today that earn them big bucks will do to the company tomorrow, that they will take notice of the legacy that they are leaving behind and have the integrity to do what is right.

2. "Was proud at one point...too many "greedy" people."

Former Employee - Anaonymous in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Anaonymous in Chandler, AZ

Pros

There was some flexiblilty in work schedule in the team I worked for.

Cons

There was very much a "good ole boy" network. Although they promoted work/life balance...if you did not work yourself to death you did not move up the ranks.

Advice to Management

Stop with the buzz words and rhetoric....just say what you are going to do and do what you say. We are all adults...no games...or programs for the sake of programs or to look like you are "doing the right thing"

3. "Worst Job in the Nation!"

Former Employee - Business Analyst II in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Business Analyst II in Plano, TX

Pros

There really is not a lot of good reasons to work for Countrywide. They used to have superior health benefits but for the past several years they have been scaling back and requiring the employee's to pay more out-of-pocket. Their insurance really isn't all that good any longer. I guess the best reason to work for me to work at Countrywide was that it was 15 minutes from my house.

Cons

They are a very reactive not proactive company. Half the time is spent putting out wild fires for management rather than being productive in your job.
    Management is VERY prone to take credit for employee's work, it is a very dog-eat-dog environment. I have also seen that the abvility to move up in the company is somewhat based on how well the employee can "kiss up" and not based on knowledge or hard work.
    Countrywide also tends to hire nonprofessional individuals which creates a nonprofessional atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Having had the opportunity to work in three separate division during my career at Countrywide, I found that Senior Management is not involved enough with the work that is really going on. They are more concerned with covering mistakes they've made and having everyone work around the clock for insignificant reasons. With these inefficiencies, it causes more critical errors that has been in the long run the demise of Countrywide Financial Corp.

4. "Personal Loan Consultant"

Current Employee - Personal Loan Consultant in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Personal Loan Consultant in Chandler, AZ

Pros

They pay really well and fair. I believe the pay will continue to be decent after the completion of the Bank of America merger.

Cons

Burnout usually takes place in 1 to 2 years. Very few can last longer.

Advice to Management

We would be really slow and they would make us work mandatory overtime. Get your stuff together.

5. "Work somewhere else if you can."

Current Employee - Insurance Consultant
    Current Employee - Insurance Consultant

Pros

The people we work with are great. Everyone works hard and has a great work ethic and positive attitude, despite the adversity we're facing.

Cons

Horrible compensation--they just changed our comp plan, and it's basically minimum wage, unless you're able to make your numbers. The numbers are not achievable given the current situation--no one is able to do it right now. My son makes more working at Starbucks, and we work so many hours, I don't have time to look for another job. I feel trapped.

Advice to Management

We need help. More and better products to sell, a living wage, tools to expand our business.

6. "RUN!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

now that they are part of Bank of America it may be better- there are many key positions that are held by employees who do not now their job but there are others who do and they make great role models

Cons

some managers lack the skills needed to do their job and the negative press and lack of customer service after the loan has closed makes it difficult to take pride in the company for whom you work . If you are a fvorite it is easier to ge tthings done but if you have peronal issues with management the job is much more difficult

Advice to Management

nepotism is not the best method for promotion- this was the case with some managers on the floor while others were truly exemplary. Morale needs to be boosted and honesty is the best policy not subterfuge

7. "Great place to start a career, never a place to finish a career"

Former Employee - Lead Business Systems Analyst in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Lead Business Systems Analyst in Orlando, FL

Pros

They were very flexible when it came to taking time off, however this came at a cost at times. Working as a Business Analyst in IT, there were many nights and weekends spent working long hours. However, I was able to advance very quickly from a BA II to a Lead BA within 2 years. There was many opportunities to gain additional education and leadership training that was provided at no cost to the employee. The IT team was great to work with and everyone in each functional area was more than willing to help. Most of the team really worked well together

Cons

The poor leadership at times added to confustion amongst teams which caused problems for project deadlines. Often times there was an unwillingness for IT and the business units to work effectively together, however most projects and relationships were well maintained and business objectives met. There was a major problem with nepotism amongst senior management and individuals that did not contribute to the efforts to meet business needs were often rewarded at the cost of overlooking those who had shown dedication. The company was very large, and for an organization of this side I would imagine it would be tough to please everyone.

Advice to Management

Recognize some of the supporting members of the team, no matter what their title. It seemed that VP's and above got preferential treatment through nepotism.

8. "Despite a tough market, Countrywide has been fair in compensating for performance."

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President - Financial Analysis in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President - Financial Analysis in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Countrywide compensates very well for individuals willing to work hard. Dispite the downturn in the mortgage industry, the company looks for creative ways to compensate its employees. I was approved for a promotion durning the company's acquisition by Bank of America. While the raise was a little lower than I had hoped, I was still happy the promotion when through in such an adverse environment.

Cons

The downturn in the mortgage industry has led to downsizing in some departments.

Advice to Management

None.

9. "Countrywide is a terrible place to work."

Former Employee - Credit Analyst I in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Credit Analyst I in Tempe, AZ

Pros

You could put in a lot of overtime.

In fact, it was required!

Cons

Management in my department were prejudiced against you if you were not Hispanic . . . . they would talk about you in Spanish and laugh making it obvious which employee they were belittling.
    They belittled employees instead of encouraging them to do better. And they made sure other employees heard.
    High turnover as we all found jobs with companies that treated their employees like people.
    They made promises about advancement but never followed through.

Advice to Management

They brought the ghetto from California to run the Tempe Landsafe offices. BIG mistake. They have no respect for the employees and the employees leave taking all the training and knowledge with them.

10. "Typical southern California company"

Former Employee - Information Security Engineer in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Information Security Engineer in Plano, TX

Pros

Work/life balance in the position I was in, the corporate offices were generally in nice areas and suburbs, commute times reasonable, nice offices

Cons

Lack of career advancement opportunities, lack of recognition of superior work, geographic separation of management and staff leads to the 'out of sight, out of mind' mentality.

Advice to Management

Prepare for a culture shock with the BOA acquisition, and be open to change. Recognize that structure and organization are a good thing.