County of Chester Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Carol Aichele

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "RUDE AWAKENING"

I worked at County of Chester full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

West Chester is a cool area to work in. Plenty of restaurants, shops and parks are nearby. Made some good friends there.

Cons

Elected official who fires and forces her employees to leave as she did to me in 2015. I was permitted by county officials to resign after this person had her 1st deputy end my employment via an email on my scheduled day off. No reason was given. I had excellent reviews and had been promoted. Later I learned an immigrant with little experience was moved into the position and her salary nearly doubled. Despite my meeting with HR & the Pres. Judge, they said nothing could be reversed since elected officials can do whatever they want to. The 1st deputy was forced out almost a year to the day after this so the official could hire her friend from the gym, and the girl in my position fled to another dept. where she is likely swamped.

Advice to Management

My previous review was removed. People have a right to read an honest review of what can happen if they choose to accept a position on the first floor while this elected Republican official is in office.

"Good For A Starting Job - Not One You Can Live off of though..."

I have been working at County of Chester full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Benefits (even though they are getting worse every year)
    - Work/Life Balance: Flexible Schedules
    - Holidays/Floating/Sick/Personal: Paid holidays off, accrual of sick, personal, vacation is good. (6 weeks of paid maternity leave would be nice!)

Cons

1. You cannot live off of the salary. We keep hearing how the heads are talking about how they can't seem to employ or keep millennials working for the County - well, there's a reason - We have mortgages, we want to start families, and well, you don't pay enough. You work here and live paycheck to paycheck.
    2. Everyone gets the same raise (peanuts) so it doesn't matter if you are rated a "5" or under that at every review, the 2's are getting the same raise as you.
    3. You will work your tail off - with no room for growth.

3. "Okay Job"

Former Employee - Clerk IV in West Chester, PA
    Former Employee - Clerk IV in West Chester, PA

I worked at County of Chester full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was an okay experience but my co-workers really made it bearable. Everyone is very dedicated but dedication only goes so far when pay is terrible and arbitrary HR policies rule the day.

Benefits were good. Good work/life balance.

Cons

Below market compensation; counterintuitive HR policies; inflexible scheduling; lack of employment opportunities for personal growth.

Advice to Management

Better pay

4. "County of Chester"

I have been working at County of Chester full-time

Pros

The flexibility and public service to county

Cons

Not many windows in GSC

"Certified Nursing Assistantg"

Current Employee - CNA in West Chester, PA
    Current Employee - CNA in West Chester, PA

I have been working at County of Chester full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are good. Good Health insurance but getting more expensive every year with less coverage. Now 80/20 instead of 90/10. deductibles increasing every year.

Cons

Low staffing. So physically grueling when resident to aide ratio is sometimes 20 to 1 or more. Almost below federal standards. Turnover is high. Pretty sad when the administration has a meeting to ask the employees how they can improve staffing and retain employees. Isn't that why she makes the big bucks?

Advice to Management

Need to take in the big picture and forecast ahead when making major decisions. Need to look beyond next month. RNs managing the Pocopson facility. Get some education in running a business.or hire a professional consultant to help find some solutions to employee retention. Increase incentives instead of taking them away. The county needs to get involved with the management of the facility, And when a call is made to county regarding problems, they say Pocopson has their own set of rules. And it shows. No representation for the employees. Not Good!!!!!!!

6. "Pocopson Home"

Pros

Good place to work. You get to know, and come to care about the residents.

Cons

Sometimes understaffed and can put a strain on the nurses and cna's.

"Flexibility but lacks competitive salaries"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in West Chester, PA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in West Chester, PA

I have been working at County of Chester full-time

Pros

Good flexibility work like balance is decent

Cons

pay is sub-par. It's annoying to continually hear about the benefit package being part of the salary. The benefits have only gotten worse the past few years. We have co-pays, co-insurance, and in 2017 will now have a deductible.

Advice to Management

Increase salaries!

"Overall good, but some downsides"

Pros

Good office culture
    The town of west chester is wonderful
    Safe employment

Cons

Doesn't pay great for the role
    As it goes with all government employment, employees have a tendency to get complacent and entitled.

Advice to Management

Management really needs to reconsider how they communicate with their employees. Theres been countless times where they've completely reorganized departments without a word of warning to workers.

"Alright"

Current Employee - Deputy Court Clerk in West Chester, PA
    Current Employee - Deputy Court Clerk in West Chester, PA

I have been working at County of Chester part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good introduction into the criminal justice system and process. Good place to make connections with attorneys and other individuals in the county.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunities for growth. The Clerk of Courts is an elected position so if you don't get along with them there isn't much you can do.

10. "Youth Officer 1"

Current Employee - Youth Officer I in West Chester, PA
    Current Employee - Youth Officer I in West Chester, PA

Pros

If you enjoy working with troubled youth then this is the place to be. The facility is more of a family setting and everyone gets along. You do not see that much. Also, the director is great!! He really cares about his staff.

Cons

The fact that my commute is one in a half hours away is killing me on gas.

Advice to Management

Really think about who you hire for the part time positions because not all of them seems to care about others who have other obligations after work because they do not have many responsibilities.