County of Los Angeles Department of Children and Family Services Reviews | Glassdoor

County of Los Angeles Department of Children and Family Services Reviews

Updated April 10, 2018

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Philip L. Browning

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "children's social worker III"

I have been working at County of Los Angeles Department of Children and Family Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

the job is flexible and has a good retirement plan

Cons

the job requires long hours

2. "DCFS Social Worker"

Pros

Exciting work, truly multidisciplinary, challenging, rewarding, great career possibilities.

Cons

Sometimes stressful, high turnover means your over the Unions' negotiated case loads,

"CSW Trainee"

Current Employee - CSW
    Current Employee - CSW

I have been working at County of Los Angeles Department of Children and Family Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and pay, room for growth and good supervisors.

Cons

High caseload, court reports and the feeling of being overwhelmed with your work.

4. "Senior Typist Clerk"

Current Employee - Senior Typist Clerk in Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Typist Clerk in Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at County of Los Angeles Department of Children and Family Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very good cafeteria benefits; lots of high profile job experience. I have a great supervisor - manager... We work as a team. She's not threaten with ideas from her staff...

Cons

Some of the new machines technology fails; other coworkers do not know how to use equipment and equipment always break down; only the strong survive here, don't establish clicks as the county do,

Advice to Management

Learn to work with staff and not against staff; be objectives to ideas, always be fair, be a role model, hear two sides of complaints from staff; know your staff for yourself, be open to input, never make any decision personal with staff, appreciate good worker's and thorough worker's, she appreciation, help staff move to bigger and better things and opportunities

5. "Awesome pay and benefits. Able to help many families."

Former Employee - CSW II in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - CSW II in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at County of Los Angeles Department of Children and Family Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, benefits, helping families, professional growth, people you meet and work with.

Cons

Can be stressful, lots of change (supervisors...ARA, RA). Case loads at times, court reports...

Advice to Management

Continue to be friendly!

"Children's Social Worker"

Current Employee - Children's Social Worker in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Children's Social Worker in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Amazing benefits including medical and dental

Cons

Management does not care about their workers or their safety since it is all about the numbers. A highly stresssful job with a high turnover rate. Most of my academy classmates resigned. Expect to work tons of overtime including weekends. It is NOT a job for the faint-hearted; you will work in very dangerous neighborhoods, deal with hardened criminals and do a lot of things not listed on the job description (for example spending hours in the ER). For the people who are passionate about social work, you will not be "helping people" or see the fruits of your labor. You will be but another slave to the bureaucracy.

Advice to Management

Allow workers to have more of a balanced life and reduce the amount of policies needed to do the bare minimum.

7. "Endless"

Former Employee - Children's Social Worker III in Palmdale, CA
    Former Employee - Children's Social Worker III in Palmdale, CA

I worked at County of Los Angeles Department of Children and Family Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

While 40 hours a week are minimum requirement, you are able to set your day and appointments how you desire, provided it coordinates with the times of your clients.

Cons

High caseloads will always be a issue. Caseloads seldom decrease while the service requirements increase! Also the ongoing stress/worry of something happening to one of "your kids" when you leave a home visit.

"CSW TRAINEE"

Current Employee - Children Social Worker Trainee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Children Social Worker Trainee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

The DCFS location I have been placed has an awesome work environment. Every one seems supportive and helpful. I know this is one of the most difficult departments to work for, but as long as your compassion and dedicated, it's dueable. The County of Los Angeles also has amazing benefits. I have no complaints

Cons

No cons in my opinion

"Children's Social Worker Trainee"

Former Employee - Children's Social Worker Trainee in Van Nuys, CA
    Former Employee - Children's Social Worker Trainee in Van Nuys, CA

I worked at County of Los Angeles Department of Children and Family Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing benefits, pay is decent, and there is room for growth.

Cons

In my personal opinion I feel like DCFS will use Children's Social Workers as scapegoats in anything negative that happens on a case, especially when it is displayed in the media.

10. "Great place to work"

Pros

Very rewarding job. Great place to work

Cons

Case loads were high and upper management sucked