County of Los Angeles Department of Children and Family Services Reviews | Glassdoor

County of Los Angeles Department of Children and Family Services Reviews

Updated September 12, 2017

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Philip L. Browning

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Awesome pay and benefits. Able to help many families."

Former Employee - CSW II in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - CSW II in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at County of Los Angeles Department of Children and Family Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, benefits, helping families, professional growth, people you meet and work with.

Cons

Can be stressful, lots of change (supervisors...ARA, RA). Case loads at times, court reports...

Advice to Management

Continue to be friendly!

2. "Children's Social Worker"

Current Employee - Children's Social Worker in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Children's Social Worker in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at County of Los Angeles Department of Children and Family Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Amazing benefits including medical and dental

Cons

Management does not care about their workers or their safety since it is all about the numbers. A highly stresssful job with a high turnover rate. Most of my academy classmates resigned. Expect to work tons of overtime including weekends. It is NOT a job for the faint-hearted; you will work in very dangerous neighborhoods, deal with hardened criminals and do a lot of things not listed on the job description (for example spending hours in the ER). For the people who are passionate about social work, you will not be "helping people" or see the fruits of your labor. You will be but another slave to the bureaucracy.

Advice to Management

Allow workers to have more of a balanced life and reduce the amount of policies needed to do the bare minimum.

3. "Endless"

Former Employee - Children's Social Worker III in Palmdale, CA
    Former Employee - Children's Social Worker III in Palmdale, CA

I worked at County of Los Angeles Department of Children and Family Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

While 40 hours a week are minimum requirement, you are able to set your day and appointments how you desire, provided it coordinates with the times of your clients.

Cons

High caseloads will always be a issue. Caseloads seldom decrease while the service requirements increase! Also the ongoing stress/worry of something happening to one of "your kids" when you leave a home visit.

"CSW TRAINEE"

Current Employee - Children Social Worker Trainee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Children Social Worker Trainee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at County of Los Angeles Department of Children and Family Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The DCFS location I have been placed has an awesome work environment. Every one seems supportive and helpful. I know this is one of the most difficult departments to work for, but as long as your compassion and dedicated, it's dueable. The County of Los Angeles also has amazing benefits. I have no complaints

Cons

No cons in my opinion

"Children's Social Worker Trainee"

Former Employee - Children's Social Worker Trainee in Van Nuys, CA
    Former Employee - Children's Social Worker Trainee in Van Nuys, CA

I worked at County of Los Angeles Department of Children and Family Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing benefits, pay is decent, and there is room for growth.

Cons

In my personal opinion I feel like DCFS will use Children's Social Workers as scapegoats in anything negative that happens on a case, especially when it is displayed in the media.

6. "Great place to work"

Pros

Very rewarding job. Great place to work

Cons

Case loads were high and upper management sucked

7. "Eligibility Supervisor"

Current Employee - Eligibility Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Eligibility Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at County of Los Angeles Department of Children and Family Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great benefits, career opportunities, growth, job security

Cons

I cant really say there are any cons. i love my job and helping people and this field allows me to do so.

"Positive."

Current Employee - Children's Social Worker Trainee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Children's Social Worker Trainee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Working to improve families and the lives of children.
    Opportunities for growth in the department.
    Teamwork and support.
    Mileage is offered.
    Caseload is nearly manageable.
    Pay is great as you move up as a Children's Social Worker.

Cons

Demanding position, as far as the field.
    Using your car to go far distances, but they offer mileage.
    Academy can be disorganized at times.
    Academy training can be located at least forty minutes from home.

Advice to Management

Assign cases closer to workers home. Assign office closer to workers home.

9. "Yes it was a good fit"

Pros

It was rewarding and helpful

Cons

The hours were a bit insane

10. "Not for Everybody"

Pros

This is a job where teamwork is truly necessary. Every office is different but there are plenty of wonderful people including coworkers and supervisors.
    There are plenty of opportunities to move up and promote.
    The department is even supportive of employees who are seeing a MSW.

Cons

Despite having great coworkers and supportive supervisors, this job is dreadful.
    I fully understood that this was a stressful job, but when you enter the job, there is so much to it that was not covered in training that the training was almost a waste. I understood that you have to hit the ground running, but you can't run with broken legs. That being said, having neither adequate training nor the tools necessary to do the job make every single day ridiculously stressful. Due to the nature of this job, the hours can vary greatly and bleed into your personal life, frequently leaving you feeling drained. Eventually there comes a time where you wonder if staying at the job is worth it because it can negatively affect you in a variety of ways. After a while, everything begins to weigh heavily on you.

Advice to Management

Give the employees what they need to perform the job and don't chalk it up to "The County."
    Improve the way you prepare the new hires and improve how cases are given to workers. T