County of Sacramento Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Lack of leadership"

Current Employee - Unable to List
    Current Employee - Unable to List

Pros

Pay every two weeks. I have no other pros.

Cons

Declining benefits over time. Not enough pay difference between new employees and seasoned emploees. Unrealistic timelines. Poor communication. Leadership doesn't know it's programs. Dangerous for licensed personnel. No overtime. Encouaged to work off the clock. No value to actual employees versus temps.

Advice to Management

Shadow your people. Put back standards qualifying journeyman level vetsus new hires/new grads. Work on your communication skills. Add benefits as incentives to the low oay. Pay your people what they are worth. Years of no raises is embarressing. Stop job tranfers and input fromnew employees until they are a tual emoyees that have passed probation.

"Waste Water Treatment plant is awful"

I worked at County of Sacramento full-time

Pros

Retirement, stability with few layoffs, holidays

Cons

I received very poor training from a supervisor who really was not cutout for her job. She had just been promoted to her position, her assistant was on medical leave and she had two new employees to train. We did not even get training on the integrated computer system/software until we had been on the job 3 months. I was experienced in my field and a mature worker with good work ethic so I figured much out on my own and took ownership of the position. The office structure in my department was like a morgue, few employees to talk to and not even one to have lunch with. This on top of the lack of training was frustrating and very depressing. I quit after 3 months. I might have soldiered through but I was also caring for a sick family member at home and having to deal with such a cold depressive atmosphere at that plant was more then I was willing to continue to subject myself to.

Advice to Management

None.

3. "Senior mental health counselor"

Current Employee - Senior Mental Health Counselor in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Mental Health Counselor in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Good amount of time off, holidays. Can be flexible in schedule dependent on supervisor.

Cons

Government bureaucracy, good employees get more work, bad employees skate by with no repercussion

Advice to Management

Reward rather than punish good employees

4. "manager"

Pros

working with other folks in management

Cons

working with terri porter everyday

"Great learning experience. ..but not much for promotion."

Former Employee - Senior Office Assistant in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Office Assistant in Sacramento, CA

I worked at County of Sacramento full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work around really nice people.

Cons

Hard to promote within the departments.

Advice to Management

Give the employees who understand the job inside and out an opportunity to promote.

6. "Clerk-Recorder Sacramento County"

Current Employee - Clerical in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at County of Sacramento full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Monday thru Friday schedule, benefits, a paycheck.

Cons

Poorly run office. No raises, bonuses, opportunity for advancement or promotion, no chance to transfer out of this office. Office culture? Please. No perks unless you like to brown nose the supervisors and then receive preferential treatment...yeah we all notice...personal growth...forgotten what that is while working in the office.

Advice to Management

Please retire or have someone with a brain re-train the clerical manager and her awful staff of "supervisors". Start treating your staff with respect or you won't know what hit you when the mass exodus begins.

"The Department lacks class and so does the management."

Current Employee - Clerical in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at County of Sacramento full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, vacation, and leave time

Cons

Management is too top heavy and need to understand how a business is run. There is no room for advancement unless you are someone's friend. The treatment of staff makes it really difficult to have any positive outlook for such a dismal place. Hard workers are punished and mediocrity is celebrated in this department.

Advice to Management

Start acting like managers, lead by example and listen to your staff regarding the fixing of problems and promote employees from within based on their ability to do their job, not because they are someone's friend or of a certain nationality.

"Department of Probation"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I worked at County of Sacramento full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fair pay and benefits. Unfortunately there is a five year vesting period and ten years to collect. Also, there is no medical benefits after retirement. They just cut you off. Better off to work for state government.

Cons

Just like most government jobs, tons of paperwork and red tape to get even the most simple request completed. That all said, I would suggest that you look elsewhere for employment. Management sucks with a BIG S. Do yourself a favor and if you can get a job elsewhere, do so. I am so happy now that I have moved on to a different department. One of the worst managers I have ever met.

Advice to Management

Make it mandated that all supervisors and manager (at all levels) take several classes on how to supervise and manage staff.

"Unorganized from beginning to end"

Current Employee - Human Services Specialist in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Human Services Specialist in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at County of Sacramento full-time (More than a year)

Pros

paycheck, benefits, holidays, some of the people are cool

Cons

poor training, poor supervisors, people afraid to do anything in case they get fired. Poor morale, I could go on and on. Just don't do it.

Advice to Management

Hire supervisors who know the job of their subordinates AND that have people skills and a real desire to see their workers excel in their jobs.

10. "Airport Operations"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I worked at County of Sacramento full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working four 10 hour shift; If you are pro-union this is the place to be for employees not supervisors!

Cons

Employees are unprofessional in airport operations; lunches and breaks are more important then working; airport operations officers care more about playing on the internet and watching television then working; high turnover rate in airport operations so BE WARE there is a reason; no mentoring while on probation just termination; KEEP IN MIND IF YOU THINK ABOUT APPLYING BEWARE!

Advice to Management

Listen to both sides before making a decision; provide better training and don't be indecisive.