County of San Diego "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

County of San Diego Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated 27 Jul 2019

3.8
County of San Diego CEO Greg Cox  (no image)
Greg Cox
Pros
Cons
  • "Pay is low when compared with other RN/PHN jobs(in 7 reviews)

• "Upper management does not make any efforts to make staff feel important(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Should be Disease Educator, not Investigator"

Current Employee - Communicable Disease Investigator

I have been working at County of San Diego full-time

Pros

Enjoyed working with, and educating the public about serious health matters.

Cons

Not much upward mobility. Too much upper management control.

Advice to Management

Less is better!

County of San Diego2019-07-27
  2. "Poorly Managed and over worked"

I have been working at County of San Diego full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent pay and health benefits. Vacation and sick time add up quickly.

Cons

Over worked and poorly managed. Upper management does not make any efforts to make staff feel important. Hard to move to different departments.

Advice to Management

Start working and pay attention to your staff.

County of San Diego2019-04-27
  3. "Good people but slow work environment"

I worked at County of San Diego full-time

Pros

The people you work with are friendly and welcoming. There are many different projects of all types which makes your job interesting.

Cons

There's a lot of downtime so there are times when you do not have much to do. Some of the upper management seem to not be as technically competent as others.

County of San Diego2018-03-12
  4. "Probation Dept"

Current Employee - CDPO

I have been working at County of San Diego full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great retirement 3% @ 50 for starting before 2012

Cons

Upper management is horrible. Zero idea what they are doing. Union is a joke. They all sleep in the same bed. Good ol boy network. Accolades not based on merit but who you know or kiss butt to specifically in the work project program.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and take care of the ones who take care of you, not the ones who give you lip sevice or gifts....

County of San Diego2017-08-22

"employee info."

Legal in San Diego, CA

I have been working at County of San Diego for more than 10 years

Pros

flex schedules, some nice supervisors

Cons

unless you are upper management, you'll be treated as if you don't matter

Advice to Management

those that work the hardest are usually the ones that support you, don't treat them poorly!

County of San Diego2017-04-05

"Bad upper management."

I have been working at County of San Diego

Pros

Good benefits, steady work. Management know very little about what their workers actually do so it's easy to get by doing very little work This makes the job very non satisfying.

Cons

Upper management takes advantage of staff and is very disconnected from and disrespectful of them, offers few and very stingy raises. The closest they come to showing appreciation of workers is to remind them that they could have eliminated your position. They do not value their workforce at all. Hundreds of members of upper management draw six figure salaries while they let the public openly criticize workers... who are being paid very poorly.

Advice to Management

Find out what your employees do and who they are.

County of San Diego2016-02-29
  7. "Not so great :("

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oceanside, CA

I worked at County of San Diego full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The benefits are great. Their retirement system almost too good, but I guess it makes up for the crappy pay.

Cons

I left for a better paying job. My new job 1st step pays me more than county job did in final 5th step! The upper management was terrible at my office. Some of the supervisors were great, but upper management protected the horrible duds. Also, definitely a sad, snooty system where the clerical staff is looked down upon, but then again; some of the clerical was just plain incompetent and/or obnoxious. Our office... overworked the go-getters and protected the lazy and incapable. Not a work environment that I enjoyed coming to in the morning. A few really nice, great coworkers made it tolerable for 6 years. Saw some review that said minorities not well represented. This is total BS. I have visited many offices under the County and I would say it has a very low number of caucasians compared to the private industry. But who cares who they hire as long as it is FAIR and they are COMPETENT. Promotion/change is possible; just depends on your motivation, the economy and the office you are located in.

Advice to Management

The top management needs to do a better job of creating a friendly team environment. This could be accomplished if they didn't play favorites, and they need to weed out the unqualified workers and the unstable crazies. Half the people in my dept were either useless, mean as heck and spiteful, or egos out of this world. In fact, so many of the nice workers there left, because of poor management. I wish I could give a... shout out to the really NICE supervisors that I got to know. Two left, four stayed and one was forced out.

County of San Diego2015-07-11