Coupa Software Inc Reviews | Glassdoor

Coupa Software Inc CEO Rob Bernshteyn
Rob Bernshteyn

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work-Life balance varies from department to department" (in 9 reviews)

• "Nothing outside of normal thresholds for growing pains associated with a company that is scaling at this rate" (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Regional Vice President - Sales"

Current Employee - Regional Vice President - Sales
    Current Employee - Regional Vice President - Sales

I have been working at Coupa Software Inc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Coupa is growing 40% a year.
    * Great culture ... "we are all in it together" mentality.
    * The whole company rallies around new customer acquisition while also ensuring our current customers achieve value (you don't have to cringe when mentioning who you work for at parties).
    * Strong executive leadership team, including a passionate, driven CEO with a vision to lead Coupa from the David to the Goliath in the spend management industry
    * Industry leading products as validated by Gartner, Forrester and IDC. As the leader, you get invited to the dance on nearly every spend management evaluation.
    * An increasing number of net-new leads -- including from marketing (inbound) and inside sales (outbound). It's the best lead generation engine I've seen in all my 20+ years in the software business.
    * Growing stock price results in significant upside in total compensation.
    * Sales incentive plans rival the top software companies in the industry
    * Plenty of accounts for account executives ... the pie has not been divided to the point where your income potential is limited.
    * Our demos rock! You will not lose a demo bakeoff.
    * If you love to hunt the big deal, this is the place for you. You have the opportunity to make your annual quota on one deal and also have an opportunity to blow out quota.
    * Implementation partners, including the Tier 1s, are building strong Coupa practices and will support you during and after the sales cycle.
    * Strong business value engineering team to minimize the chance of losing to do nothing or losing out to other software projects competing for budget.
    * The opportunity to take it to the ERP vendors ... this is especially fun for those who have worked for them in the past.

Cons

After sharing all those positives above ... I'm going to do my best to identify what prospective salespeople might consider cons to Coupa.
    * You must have a lot of energy to work at Coupa. It is a fast-paced environment and filled with passionate employees who expect each team member to carry their weight. If you don't fit this description, do not join Coupa. We are not a large company so it is next to impossible to hide underperformance.
    * For account executives, you must get a thrill out of the hunt. This is not a role where you can sit back and ask "where are the Glengarry leads?" You need to be adept at prospecting, leveraging multiple methods to open doors (in many cases they don't own any Coupa products yet), working with inside sales & marketing, networking etc. Look in the mirror and ask yourself if you have that fire in the belly for building pipeline. If so, you will be successful at Coupa.
    * SAP is walking their Ariba counterpart in the door and they outnumber us. However, if we get in the door, we can win. If the CIO is willing to align with what the business stakeholders want - and doesn't force an SAP agenda - we win a large percentage of these deals.
    * Some of the big deals take a long time to close ... sometimes all the way up to 1.5 to 2 years. However, there are also cases where they move more quickly where a company has a formal initiative, you create a compelling financial case for change and/or an executive drives a top-down initiative, Great deal execution can accelerate the deal but sometimes companies just move slow.
    * The most successful salespeople at Coupa are assertive and willing to push back where the prospect is not approaching an engagement in a spirit of mutual respect and partnering. If you are a "nice person" who feels your main reason for being successful is relationship selling and following your client's process, then you may not be cut out for a sales role at Coupa.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in marketing and inside sales to grow pipeline (Chandar is making a huge impact). Continue to believe in your sales organization and respect that some sales cycles take a long time, with the potential for starts/stops, due to issues outside of sales control. Avoid giving backhanded compliments in front of broad audiences saying "finally, this has come in ... it's about time" on the win announcements. Also consider that a new rep's ramp-up varies depending on the maturity of the region they will be working in (e.g. previous sales coverage) and their account list. Consider working with the RVPs and VPs to estimate the ramp and get creative to financially take care of those reps who may take a bit longer to get on the board. Otherwise, keep doing what you are doing. I'm proud to work for Coupa and would highly recommend working at this company to any of my friends.

Apr 11, 2018 – Vice President of Global Talent

First off – wow! Thank you for your thoughtful and detailed review. I’ve already shared your feedback with Management and the entire Talent Team. You’ve captured our go-getter mentality and how it’s... More

2. "Intern Perspective"

I have been working at Coupa Software Inc full-time

Pros

- Great office culture
    - Employees are motivated
    - Fast passed environment
    - Company is growing
    - Friendly and inviting work space

Cons

- Doesn't provide as many luxury benefits as other SaaS companies

Aug 29, 2018 – Vice President of Global Talent

Thank you for posting a review. We're glad that you recognize our unique culture. Concerning our benefits, we have a very competitive package for our employees and hope you've been able to take... More

3. "Great Growth Company"

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Coupa Software Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Global growth, great category and large customers

Cons

lack of work from home - flexibility

Aug 20, 2018 – EVP People

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We are very excited about the company growth and do agree that we are in a great industry. In regard to your comment about the flexibility to work... More

4. "truly a great place to work if you're willing to put in time and effort"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Coupa Software Inc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

room for growth
    realize potential and talent of individual
    fun environment and awesome values
    the people are the best part about this company

Cons

work life balance could be a hard to achieve

Sep 6, 2018 – VP, Global Talent

Thank you for your review! You have highlighted the areas that we feel best embodies our culture: a platform for growth, environment, values, and people. As for the work-life balance, we recognize... More

"No Work Life Balance - Expected to work 12 to 15 hrs every day! Even on weekends"

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer

I have been working at Coupa Software Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Modern, Mid-Sized Company, hyper focused at gaining market share and retaining customers. Smart and dedicated peers to work with.

Cons

Work Life Balance is totally absent. Work load is very high, and we are expected to work extended hours. More work, very less resources.

Compensation is too low in comparison to work load and performance expectations and the stress levels.

Being on West Coast you are expected to support East Coast clients - hence your work day starts at 5am PST and goes on until atleast 6pm PST, and then the team meetings.

Its a good place for beginners to learn and get the industry knowledge IF YOU HAVE NO LIFE OUTSIDE OF WORK.

Advice to Management

Everything else is really good, just ensure your management team has realistic expectations from front-line and does not exploit them in the name of team work and can do attitude. Hire more resources so that you dont burn out the employees and work overload and stress associated with deadlines (which is everyday, NOT once in a while)

Jul 30, 2018 – EVP, People

Thank you for your review. We believe that our employees are our greatest strength and we’re committed to making Coupa a great place for them to work. In the spirit of our core values, I encourage... More

6. "Great Support Team Culture"

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Reno, NV

I worked at Coupa Software Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

— People are friendly, helpful and overall make Coupa a great company to work for.
    — Office perks are phenomenal: free lunches, stock plan, student loan reimbursement, exercise programs.
    — Helping support the biggest Fortune 500 companies with spend management.

Cons

The product is vast and always expanding. New features and changes are not communicated well with the support organization, so this can cause frustration when trying to support the product and help customers.

— Support tools for ticket management could be greatly improved. Agents can get bogged down repeating minimal tasks over and over. The current ticket management system does not promote efficiency.

Advice to Management

Build out stronger material to keep agents informed and competent about the product.

Jul 30, 2018 – Vice President of Global Talent

Thank you for your review. To date, great strides have been made to provide the Support team the resources they need to ensure the success of our customers. With each release, The Product Management... More

"RVP"

Current Employee - RVP Sales
    Current Employee - RVP Sales

I have been working at Coupa Software Inc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture where you have a village of high qualified resources who are focused on helping customer succeed... its amazing to see an entire organization in lock step with the vision our CEO set 10 years ago. Our customers are the clear winner and that is very fun to be a part of.

Cons

tough to complain about the company today ... if I had to say something, i'd say at times it can get a little hectic because of the pace the company moves at.

Advice to Management

Keep on rocking

8. "Wonderful company to work for"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Reno, NV

I have been working at Coupa Software Inc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture of company is imperative to success and the hiring process demonstrates that. Every employee is thoroughly vetted through a stringent interview process.

Cons

Some employees seem flaunt their technological knowledge as if you will be unable to learn the skills they have. Conceit outweighs confidence.

Advice to Management

Ensure that the recruiters share the correct benefits applying to your job. For instance, I was promised unlimited PTO only to find that the position I received was hourly, meaning only 2 weeks off a year after I turned down another position.

Sep 6, 2018 – VP, Global Talent

Thank you for your review and appreciate the feedback. On behalf of my colleagues, we take great pride in what we are doing and I believe that they have the best intentions when sharing technical... More

9. "Great culture at a great company"

Current Employee - Director in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Coupa Software Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coupa's senior leadership team has an excellent pulse on the company. Coupa is uniquely skilled at balancing agility and process to make sure that everyone is executing at the highest levels. The culture allows Coupa to innovate rapidly and execute in a space that often lacks the same rate of innovation, and this has been instrumental in the company's performance over the years. Coupa is a great place to work with collaborative people who really believe in the core values of ensure customer success, focus on results, and strive for excellence.

Cons

Some parts of the company are more hierarchical than others. The company often hires more based on prior experience in industry or function rather than growth potential. The company doesn't always have a good plan to attract or retain younger high-performers.

Advice to Management

Overall, it's a privilege to work at Coupa. Keep up the good work, and make sure that as we scale, we don't lose the balance between agility and process. Develop more processes to bring in and grow younger talent internally.

Jul 30, 2018 – Vice President of Global Talent

Thank you for your review. Great description of our culture in action! Concerning your point on attracting and retaining younger talent, we've been building out our University relations, beginning... More

"Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Coupa Software Inc full-time

Pros

Fast moving, good company culture

Cons

growing pains (not neccesarily a bad thing)

Advice to Management

could benefit from a more diverse workforce