Coupa Software Inc Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Coupa Software Inc CEO Rob Bernshteyn
Rob Bernshteyn

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Interesting work challenges, good work life balance" (in 21 reviews)

• "Company is growing rapidly in terms of headcount and client base and also the feature set they deliver out" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work-Life balance varies from department to department" (in 9 reviews)

• "Nothing outside of normal thresholds for growing pains associated with a company that is scaling at this rate" (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Regional Vice President - Sales"

Current Employee - Regional Vice President - Sales
    Current Employee - Regional Vice President - Sales

I have been working at Coupa Software Inc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Coupa is growing 40% a year.
    * Great culture ... "we are all in it together" mentality.
    * The whole company rallies around new customer acquisition while also ensuring our current customers achieve value (you don't have to cringe when mentioning who you work for at parties).
    * Strong executive leadership team, including a passionate, driven CEO with a vision to lead Coupa from the David to the Goliath in the spend management industry
    * Industry leading products as validated by Gartner, Forrester and IDC. As the leader, you get invited to the dance on nearly every spend management evaluation.
    * An increasing number of net-new leads -- including from marketing (inbound) and inside sales (outbound). It's the best lead generation engine I've seen in all my 20+ years in the software business.
    * Growing stock price results in significant upside in total compensation.
    * Sales incentive plans rival the top software companies in the industry
    * Plenty of accounts for account executives ... the pie has not been divided to the point where your income potential is limited.
    * Our demos rock! You will not lose a demo bakeoff.
    * If you love to hunt the big deal, this is the place for you. You have the opportunity to make your annual quota on one deal and also have an opportunity to blow out quota.
    * Implementation partners, including the Tier 1s, are building strong Coupa practices and will support you during and after the sales cycle.
    * Strong business value engineering team to minimize the chance of losing to do nothing or losing out to other software projects competing for budget.
    * The opportunity to take it to the ERP vendors ... this is especially fun for those who have worked for them in the past.

Cons

After sharing all those positives above ... I'm going to do my best to identify what prospective salespeople might consider cons to Coupa.
    * You must have a lot of energy to work at Coupa. It is a fast-paced environment and filled with passionate employees who expect each team member to carry their weight. If you don't fit this description, do not join Coupa. We are not a large company so it is next to impossible to hide underperformance.
    * For account executives, you must get a thrill out of the hunt. This is not a role where you can sit back and ask "where are the Glengarry leads?" You need to be adept at prospecting, leveraging multiple methods to open doors (in many cases they don't own any Coupa products yet), working with inside sales & marketing, networking etc. Look in the mirror and ask yourself if you have that fire in the belly for building pipeline. If so, you will be successful at Coupa.
    * SAP is walking their Ariba counterpart in the door and they outnumber us. However, if we get in the door, we can win. If the CIO is willing to align with what the business stakeholders want - and doesn't force an SAP agenda - we win a large percentage of these deals.
    * Some of the big deals take a long time to close ... sometimes all the way up to 1.5 to 2 years. However, there are also cases where they move more quickly where a company has a formal initiative, you create a compelling financial case for change and/or an executive drives a top-down initiative, Great deal execution can accelerate the deal but sometimes companies just move slow.
    * The most successful salespeople at Coupa are assertive and willing to push back where the prospect is not approaching an engagement in a spirit of mutual respect and partnering. If you are a "nice person" who feels your main reason for being successful is relationship selling and following your client's process, then you may not be cut out for a sales role at Coupa.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in marketing and inside sales to grow pipeline (Chandar is making a huge impact). Continue to believe in your sales organization and respect that some sales cycles take a long time, with the potential for starts/stops, due to issues outside of sales control. Avoid giving backhanded compliments in front of broad audiences saying "finally, this has come in ... it's about time" on the win announcements. Also consider that a new rep's ramp-up varies depending on the maturity of the region they will be working in (e.g. previous sales coverage) and their account list. Consider working with the RVPs and VPs to estimate the ramp and get creative to financially take care of those reps who may take a bit longer to get on the board. Otherwise, keep doing what you are doing. I'm proud to work for Coupa and would highly recommend working at this company to any of my friends.

Apr 11, 2018 – Vice President of Global Talent

First off – wow! Thank you for your thoughtful and detailed review. I’ve already shared your feedback with Management and the entire Talent Team. You’ve captured our go-getter mentality and how it’s... More

2. "Coupa - 6 months in"

Current Employee - Customer Value Manager
    Current Employee - Customer Value Manager

I have been working at Coupa Software Inc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great product and vision for the future. From the top down, executives are aligned in their goals and it shows in the day to day operations.

Cons

To date, there are no Cons big enough to point out.

Advice to Management

Please continue to facilitate a sense of employee ownership. It is such a big part of the positive movement happening at Coupa!

3. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Coupa Software Inc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working at Coupa for 4 months due to an acquisition and I am grateful that I was able to become part of the Village. I have been provided with great support while I am training in my new role and everyone seems 100% vested in the success of the company.

Cons

I have no input at this time.

Advice to Management

You have gone out of the way to incorporate your acquired team into the village and make us feel part of a great team.

"Genuine Feedback"

I have been working at Coupa Software Inc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great product
    - Opportunity to have a positive impact on customers both internally and externally
    - Focus on customer success: we live by this!
    - Feeling of being a part of Coupa Family

Cons

- There will always be something that we can improve on. Coupa is not an exception to that and I know that I can reach out to people in case I have an issue. So the CONS in fact can be turned in to Pros.

Advice to Management

- Keep the doors open as always. There has been times when I have faced difficulties but the doors to my C level and HR Director was always open.
    - I can have an open conversation when I see an issue. Thank you for giving that opportunity
    - I am sure we will have growing problems like any other company but let us please continue to focus on retaining our very own Coupa Culture!

"Read the negative reviews before joining!"

I have been working at Coupa Software Inc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you can get into a management level or higher, you probably will get paid to do nothing.

Cons

The issues at Coupa exist at the department / team level, which are led by terrible managers. I wish I took a look at these negatives Glassdoor reviews before joining, because the common theme is that mid-management is HORRIBLE. Coupa managers are masters at underhanded tactics, and at crafting a positive facade on the outside. Highly political and high stress level, both of which create an unhealthy work environment with lots of finger-pointing that are often accompanied by lies and distortions. Extremely hierarchical company, with ABSOLUTELY NO respect for rank-and-file employees. In the beginning, had a lot of passion in joining the company, especially seeing all the good reviews. But in reality, it's an uphill battle to keep that passion alive everyday. Realize that this “happiness culture” is very surface level. It’s hushed, but most people have been disillusioned and are afraid to tell anyone for fear of being labeled “negative” and hindering upward mobility.

Advice to Management

Hold managers more accountable and implement manager reviews to truly understand how they are performing.

Jan 11, 2019 – EVP, People

Thank you for your feedback. Let’s address your points:

1. At Coupa, we believe that managers support their people, not overshadow them. If you’re not feeling supported, let’s discuss.

2. Our... More

"Coupa would rather “clean up” its reputation by posting FAKE reviews than change their unacceptable ethics"

I have been working at Coupa Software Inc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

• A lot of good people at the working level, many of whom are talented.
    • Good company to join if you don’t know any better about what a good corporate culture looks like.
     • “Unlimited” PTO (Although the reality is it’s actually limited )
    • Catered Lunch 2 times a week
    • Decent Snacks

Cons

If you take a look at all the negative reviews on Coupa’s Glassdoor (the ones sharing truths about Coupa that weren’t submitted by HR) you will notice a trend. After an employee leaves a negative review, a string of positive reviews are left shortly after. All falling within a few days of each other. Interesting enough, these positive reviews oddly emulate one another and sound shockingly similar. It’s no surprise the HR Team would stoop as low as posting FAKE Glassdoor reviews to mask Coupa’s horrible company culture. This alone should speak volumes to any prospective employee on what kind of “values” are actually valued here. Way to go HR, really striving for excellence I see!

Yes, there are a lot of great and hard working people that work here, but the culture has become, in a word, BRUTAL. Much time is spent attempting to foster esprit de corps among the "Coupa Village", and they do a decent job of it. However, you will come to notice very early on (if you didn’t pick up a hint during your interview) many mangers treat rank-and-file employees with condescension, distaste, arrogance, and utter disrespect. This is especially true with lower level employees. Management styles seem to be driven by plausible deniability, a serious lack of accountability, and absolutely no ethical principle of respect. For an organization that prides itself on this idea of an inverted organizational structure and no ivory towers, this ends up being extremely demoralizing to the rank-and-file.

If you value professionalism, integrity, and honesty in a company then this is not the place for you. There is lots of kool-aid being slung around about an inclusive and diverse company culture, with excited high-fiving and salesmanship. Is diversity a problem here? By all means - it's a complete joke. Take a look at the "Executive Leadership" page on Coupa’s website. What's the pattern here? The ‘leadership' team is a series of white men with a token woman. But hey, if you believe that a great showcase for promoting diversity means hanging a countries-of-the-world flag outside of HQ then well, this might be your perfect fit (Still in utter disbelief our CEO would publicly point to the flag outside while addressing or rather deflecting the topic of diversity).

Oh and HR, before you dismiss this post as sour grapes and recycle one of your hallmark responses, take in consideration that this review is true to MY experience as an employee here at Coupa.

For prospective employees, I highly recommend careful consideration prior to accepting any position with Coupa, above and beyond the standard due-diligence that normally goes into any such decision making process.

Advice to Management

Very little has been done to address obvious failures in the system. Institute a system of checks and balances on middle and senior managers' behavior and decision making. Ensure all mangers model company values and not only preach them. Coupa has been public for over 2 years now and in the last 3 months alone has acquired 3 companies (making that 13 acquisitions in total). It's about time to implement some standards of professional conduct, and to really enforce them, so stories like mine aren't repeated.

Oh, and STOP posting fake reviews in an effort to boost the company’s rating. It’s dishonest and shameful.

Jan 3, 2019 – EVP, People

As difficult it is to receive a review such as this, and the preference would be to have an open dialogue about the issues you raised, I will address the topics.

The comment about the HR team... More

"Ensuring customer success should include ensuring employee success"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Coupa Software Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great product
    - Good business model
    - Company is growing rapidly
    - Strong focus on gaining market share and retaining customers

Cons

Your experience at Coupa will ultimately depend on what team you work with and what support you have...or lack thereof. Unfortunately, my tenure at Coupa has been incredibly toxic. There is a complete lack of general respect for people and it seems like negative and hostile behavior is not only encouraged, but rewarded. Good luck with trying to bring any issue about management to HR, nothing will come of it and it will be brushed aside.

Coupa prides itself on this idea of an “Upside-down Org chart”, but the reality is the company culture is extremely top-down driven. If Coupa valued it’s employees and was truly an Upside-down Organization, they would implement a 360 review to give direct reports a voice to provide feedback on who “supports” them and hold people accountable for their actions.

Advice to Management

How you treat your employees will determine the success of our company. Take a serious look at the people who are in management and upper management positions and how they treat people. There should be Zero-tolerance for any negative actions that openly take place. Implement a 360 review so employees can review their mangers and really give employees a voice. Weed out toxic mangers and replace them with people who actually want to LEAD employees to success and build a better work environment. For a company who’s first core value is to “ensure customer success”; I think Its about time we shift the focus on ensuring employee success. Employees should come first. If you take care of your employees they will take care your customers. It's time to clean house.

Dec 30, 2018 – EVP, People

Thank you for your feedback. In the spirit of being authentic, we are saddened to hear this in review verses addressed head-on in person. While we do acknowledge that there are some areas we can... More

"Great Growth Company"

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Coupa Software Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Global growth, great category and large customers

Cons

lack of work from home - flexibility

Aug 20, 2018 – EVP People

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We are very excited about the company growth and do agree that we are in a great industry. In regard to your comment about the flexibility to work... More

9. "truly a great place to work if you're willing to put in time and effort"

I have been working at Coupa Software Inc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

room for growth
    realize potential and talent of individual
    fun environment and awesome values
    the people are the best part about this company

Cons

work life balance could be a hard to achieve

Sep 6, 2018 – VP, Global Talent

Thank you for your review! You have highlighted the areas that we feel best embodies our culture: a platform for growth, environment, values, and people. As for the work-life balance, we recognize... More

"No Work Life Balance - Expected to work 12 to 15 hrs every day! Even on weekends"

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer

I have been working at Coupa Software Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Modern, Mid-Sized Company, hyper focused at gaining market share and retaining customers. Smart and dedicated peers to work with.

Cons

Work Life Balance is totally absent. Work load is very high, and we are expected to work extended hours. More work, very less resources.

Compensation is too low in comparison to work load and performance expectations and the stress levels.

Being on West Coast you are expected to support East Coast clients - hence your work day starts at 5am PST and goes on until atleast 6pm PST, and then the team meetings.

Its a good place for beginners to learn and get the industry knowledge IF YOU HAVE NO LIFE OUTSIDE OF WORK.

Advice to Management

Everything else is really good, just ensure your management team has realistic expectations from front-line and does not exploit them in the name of team work and can do attitude. Hire more resources so that you dont burn out the employees and work overload and stress associated with deadlines (which is everyday, NOT once in a while)

Jul 30, 2018 – EVP, People

Thank you for your review. We believe that our employees are our greatest strength and we’re committed to making Coupa a great place for them to work. In the spirit of our core values, I encourage... More