Coupa Software Inc Reviews

Updated May 12, 2021

4.3
Coupa Software Inc CEO Rob Bernshteyn
Rob Bernshteyn
Pros
  • "Exciting customer success focused company(in 40 reviews)

• "Great Culture mixed with a great work-life balance(in 34 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Typical growing pains of a high growth company(in 19 reviews)

• "Work-Life balance is not always great(in 18 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Featured Review

Best job of my life so far!

Apr 30, 2021 - Customer Value Manager in Northeast, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

The Coupa culture is by far the most differentiating characteristic. The concept alone promotes a unique dynamic between you and your colleagues, one of personal accountability, a bias for action, and a call to stay at task. The inverted org managerial style cultivates personal growth and a mentor-like relationship with management that is far more collaborative vs a more traditional hierarchy. Our recruiting style also reflects our culture and we continuously grow our team with high-quality top performers, innovators, and thought leaders who keep us on the cutting edge, but who also exhibit humility, honesty, and strong leadership skills. Compensation reflects our success, strong performers have room to grow and expand their careers, and the opportunity to carve your own path is there for you to take it. Diversity, acceptance, and tolerance are greatly valued and many charitable opportunities are made possible through the Coupa Cares team. You will always be pushed but also empowered to do your best, and reach further than your goals.

Cons

Coupa grows through acquisition, and the pace at which we acquire new technology is currently at lightning speed. If you can't roll with constant change and work through varying levels of structure with the right mindset this might not be the Village for you. Being a part of the Coupa Village means being willing, again and again, to step outside of your comfort zone and go above and beyond the call of duty. There is no room here for complacency or mediocracy, there are no participation trophies, authneticy is a must.

Chief People Officer

Thank you for posting a review!

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Terrific Company, Product, and Leadership

May 11, 2021 - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Feel really supported by leadership and my peers and put in a good position to succeed in selling a market leading solution.

Cons

I haven't noticed any notable cons.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Best company I've ever worked for

Apr 8, 2021 - Senior Director in San Mateo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Coupa doesn't just talk the talk, it actually walks the walk! There are a lot of companies that make promises just to get you through the door. Coupa doesn't just promise, it delivers! One of my favorite aspects about Coupa is the commitment to fostering development and growth. From its huge library of free courses, to webinars, to mentorship programs, and general professional and personal development. Added to that, just genuine, supportive people and teams, all committed to ensuring the success of allofus. I feel valued by my co-workers, appreciated by my supporting manager and my team, have purpose, and feel that my role adds a meaningful, positive contribution to company goals and objectives. This is a company of smart, intelligent people, who work hard, play hard, but most importantly know how to make it all fun while still achieving results. Coupa also has a fantastic DEI program and a number of ERGs that are taken as seriously as as the roles we were hired for. My expectations since joining have been far exceeded. I'm looking forward to a number of years ahead of me with Coupa and would recommend anyone to Coupa. (Also, great RSU and benefits program)

Cons

Not for the faint hearted! As you would expect with any fast growing company, the workload can be high at times, and the challenges can sometimes come thick and fast. It's actually one of my reasons for joining since I thrive in an environment that provides this type of opportunity, but it won't be for everyone. If you want to join and just coast through, this is probably not for you. If you want growth, creativity of thought, and to never be bored - sign up!

Chief People Officer

Thank you for posting a review!

4. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Not a Greatest Place to Work for Many of Us

Apr 29, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The benefits were fairly solid and the pay was competitive for those of us outside of the Bay Area and other high-cost-of-living areas.

Cons

I was brought into Coupa as a part of an acquisition that was not handled well. Coupa clearly tried, but missed the mark and didn't listen to our feedback. The CEO is a narcassistic micromanager who insists on extolling the virtue of meritocracy (with an almost exclusively male leadership team), in spite of a rapidly accepted understanding that meritocracy is a harmful virtue that benefits only a few to the detriment of everyone else. The mandatory company-wide meetings almost every month and constant stream of emails to the entire company are unproductive and indicative of an oppressive and forced corporate culture. Until recently, it was also common to hear Rick Ross's "Hustlin'" played at these allhands meetings, which was wildly unprofessional. My specific department had largely poor management who consistently failed to scale teams appropriately with company growth which then contributed to high turnover. These managers aggressively defended a male-dominated environment rife with implicit bias that led to incidents of casual sexism and racism. The fact that the management in that department is exclusively male and almost exclusively white is not a coincidence.

7 people found this review helpful

EVP People

I want to acknowledge that we aren't going to check all the boxes for some during an acquisition. However, we strive for excellence and welcome feedback to ensure we are always getting better. As is reflected in our core values, we believe in an inclusive culture where employees feel valued during and after their onboarding experience. Our practice of meritocracy is an essential aspect of how we work, and we are very proud of this. We're also proud of how our entire team Hustles (aka: moves quickly to accomplish goals). Based on your feedback, your time here was not a positive experience for you, and that is indeed regrettable. We take the process of welcoming any new employee to Coupa seriously and also being available to support them. Whereas I disagree with the viewpoint you have written, I would have welcomed the opportunity to discuss your concerns in more detail and hear insights on improving. We are always open to feedback and believe in authentic, transparent communication to work through and resolve issues.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Mission-driven, collaborative, and the best products in the industry

Apr 2, 2021 - Marketing in San Mateo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

When an entire company is aligned on mission, vision and core values, great things happen. Coupa is such a company, with the strongest alignment across every level and every department, of any company I have ever been a part of. The result: a collaborative, passionate and high-performing culture that develops and supports the best products in the business spend management industry, and that has the most successful, devoted and passionate customer base of any company in the industry too. Coupa is building something special, and when you work here, you feel it. The culture emanates from the leadership, which is remarkably stable, aligned, and effective. But while the culture comes from the top, it is a culture of supporting, respecting and engaging everyone at all levels of the company, creating an environment where everyone can do their best work and thrive personally and professionally. We are growing fast and the pace of work is not for the faint of heart, but in my experience, the positivity and supportiveness of the culture, along with the passion our customers exhibit for our products, make it all worthwhile, and very satisfying.

Cons

We’re moving fast and always looking forward. Sometimes we forget to pause, take a breather, and look back to celebrate all that we are accomplishing. It wouldn’t hurt us to do a bit more of this.

Chief People Officer

Thank you for posting a review.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Amazing Company That I Truly Love Working For

Feb 6, 2021 - Presales in San Mateo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I love working for this company and the leadership team that supports me. I feel empowered and encouraged to add my own creativity to the tasks I'm given, which is such a breath of fresh air from the stale, robotic and admin heavy presales environment I've experienced at other companies. Great peers that are collaborative and help each other to succeed rather than compete to outdo each other. Leadership sets clear goals and gives me the flexibility to go meet those goals however I best can, rather than micro managing me.

Cons

Internal email spam, and I'm not just talking a little. There are hundreds and hundreds of worthless emails spammed across the company every week. It's not unusual for the spam to outnumber the actual work email in any given day. Anybody can send anything to the entire company and unfortunately there are a minority of employees unaware of email etiquette and they just reply all to the entire company with 2 word comments. Sometimes I'm convinced some of them just have an auto reply rule setup since they will fire off the exact same thing a dozen times in a row to every single announcement. The challenge with so much spam is that it goes out on the same alias as really important updates and things get buried. I've never seen anything like this before. If this is the only con I can really think of, then you know this is a pretty incredible placed to be overall.

4 people found this review helpful

Chief People Officer

Thank you for posting a review and for your feedback on the email spam. We are looking at tools internally to help with company announcements.

7. 2.0
      Current Employee

Office Space without the humor

Feb 11, 2021 - Senior Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Outstanding benefits * Solid values and generally good messaging, though the rhetoric often diverges from the reality * Rapid company growth

Cons

* Staggeringly bureaucratic and oppressively process-heavy, despite the constant refrains from leadership about their disdain for bloated or empty processes. * Glacial development cadence. It's just waterfall with the veneer (and paperwork) of Agile. * A tech culture and stack that consistently trails industry by roughly 5 years. * Rampant "not invented here" syndrome combined with sunk-cost fallacy driven decisions creates an environment that is at best slow to innovate, and at worst openly hostile to new/different ideas and solutions * Poor integration, nonexistent planning, and gross lack of communication during and immediately following company acquisitions. Mistaken belief that Coupa is buying technologies instead of talent and expertise results in high attrition or a "rest and vest" attitude for those that stick it out * Poor to middling base salaries

11 people found this review helpful

Chief People Officer

Thank you for providing feedback. At Coupa, we work diligently to foster a culture of innovation and collaboration with the agility to discuss gaps and build solutions to closing them. If this is not happening for you, please speak with your supporting manager and escalate to the EVP of Engineering. There are nuances that we learn with every acquisition and we continue to get better. I appreciate you jotting down your concerns and hope you'll continue the discussion internally to improve the experience.

8. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great Company to work for

May 9, 2021 - Senior Account Manager in Boise, ID
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible with employees, expects performance and has high expectations for employees, care about community and it's employees, supports remote workers

Cons

Large company, sometimes can feel lost but Coupa does it's best to include all

9. 5.0
      Current Employee

Start Anywhere, Go Everwhere

Apr 5, 2021 - Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

Sure, this review title comes directly from describing Coupa's comprehensive approach to spend management, but it's also a metaphor for what can be your personal experience at Coupa. Opportunity for growth and development are consistently available in our rapidly scaling organization. It's refreshing being part of an organization that challenges you to stretch yourself and learn new things. Working at Coupa does not mean you are locked into a role, it's a foot in the door to take charge of your personal and professional development in a company supported by strong leadership and an incredible culture.

Cons

With any high growth company, there are growing pains. Balancing scale and agility is an ever present challenge that can be difficult for those who thrive on process and struggle with change. Work life integration can also be an issue as we try to keep pace with business growth.

1 person found this review helpful

Chief People Officer

Thank you for posting a review.

10. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Small company failings at scale

Feb 17, 2021 - Senior Lead Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very good pay and benefits Generally helpful positive coworkers Lots of very talented engineers in many departments

Cons

Coupa developed a successful product using a waterfall SDLC. Their core offering does three releases a year. They plan every sprint months head of time in four hour blocks. They spend months developing a meticulous plan for every feature before they're allowed to start development. They call this an "agile" SDLC. They've acquired more than dozen companies in the past three years, and they're trying to scale this process to every one of these companies. It's not working. Countless engineers are working nights and weekends to catch up on needs that weren't in the design document. Department heads bicker about who is accountable for planning and execution of work. There is no interdepartmental co-operation at a middle management level. A cult-like adherence to the infallibility of the Coupa process makes middle managers hostile to any criticism of it. The pay, especially for those employees who got RSUs when the stock price was low, is incredible. This has left a lot of employees unwilling to push for change, for fear of being reprimanded or fired. When half my business unit is working 60+ hour weeks in order to meet management expectations, the CEO said burnout is a personal problem.

19 people found this review helpful

Chief People Officer

Thank you for providing your feedback. I hope you know, as you're a part of Coupa, we believe strongly in fostering a "None-of-us is as Smart as All-of-Us" culture, and supporting collaboration has been a key part of our success. With our growth, we don't always get it right. However, we rely on feedback and recommendations from colleagues on how to make things better. Regardless of when someone has joined Coupa or what an individual's role is, we are all here with the goal of supporting both our customers and each other. I urge you to take the time to discuss the issues you have raised with your supporting manager. It is critical we work together to solve problems that may arise. I am also happy to meet with you to discuss this. As it relates to your comment around "burnout being a personal problem," that was not the intent. Rather, we want each employee to feel comfortable working with their supporting manager and team to ensure their workload is manageable. As a growing company, we understand that may cause us at times to be stretched. However, we should also support each other to balance work and life. This is a joint responsibility.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 573 Reviews