Coupa Software Inc Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Coupa Software Inc CEO Rob Bernshteyn
Rob Bernshteyn

Pros
  • Focus on customer success - GREAT product (in 21 reviews)

• Great work life balance especially in the engineering organization (I've seen 20 years of silicon valley work at 1/2 dozen startups) (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can be a struggle at times (in 7 reviews)

• normal growing pains of any newly IPO'd company (in 11 reviews)

"Plenty of Growing Pains"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Coupa Software Inc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast-paced, high-energy company that is going places. Lots of passionate people that believe in the product and company.

Cons

Aggressive work culture that equates working around the clock - constantly. Company claims to embrace work-life balance, but the reality doesn't provide for such a balance. Company is growing almost too fast to slow down.

You're expect to make big impact on day two. All eyes are watching from top management down.

Advice to Management

Provide leadership and regular feedback to reports to set them up for success.

Feb 23, 2016 – Head of Global Talent Acquisition and Enablement

It's our mission at Coupa to ensure the success of our customers as well as our employees. We offer a generous amount of vacation time for our employees to take advantage of when they choose. Thanks ... More

"Sales Management"

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Coupa Software Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extremely smart people on the product teams
    Great client roster and references
    Great CEO who understands the space and can clearly communicate the vision

Cons

Upper level sales management is horrible.

Feb 10, 2016 – Head of Global Talent Acquisition and Enablement

Thanks for taking the time to write a review for us, we appreciate your comments!

"Amateur Hour - wretched culture"

Current Employee - Senior Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Coupa Software Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great space that is unaddressed it is why Coupa is still around. Whiz kid smart CEO

Cons

Amateurs with more power than brains. Controlling and try to regulate your entire day. Highly political and power hungry. Trying to put a false front to the outside world. Pays employees to write good reviews. Controlling. Leadership doesnt have the experience to execute and in over there head. Looks better from the outside in the 2 years I've been here.

Advice to Management

Fix your culture and stop trying to throw a blanket over it.

"super product and vision, smart people, some challenges to overcome"

Current Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Coupa Software Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The product and vision is great - if compared to competition it's always an easy one if in the right spot.

Cons

the opposite to what said before is the sales approach, management and execution. It's management by fear and "for all the same" like sales in the 80th

Advice to Management

Take some real leaders on board which have already shown tremendous results in sales and vision execution

"leadership speaks of "culture", "transparency", but Coupa has neither"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Coupa Software Inc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

work / life balance is ok because you start caring so little, you don't put in nights and weekends for this company, no pressure to work more

Cons

the people who are friendly with leadership get promoted regardless of talent or sales, the company is cheap, having employees work at desks that are falling apart or desks that are so small you can't even fit a computer on them is ridiculous

Advice to Management

listen to your employees when they have ideas, recognize your employees when they do a great job, find ways to keep talent instead of telling people they can be replaced, invest in employee happiness, the leadership at coupa is out of touch with the work floor, if you don't know what your employees think about the company, how can you make changes?

"Micromanagment & Internal Politics. Avoid."

Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Coupa's product is one of the best on the markets. Development and Service Delivery leaders worked previously together at Oracle, and as a result there is great chemistry, talent, and delivery in these groups.

Cons

Executives micromanage and berate their team members. Employees are told that is not okay to take time off, work less than 60 hours a week, or ask for fair compensation. Fear and humiliation are used to motivate employees. It is not okay to voice your own ideas or strategies. It is also not permitted to ask questions, if you don't know the answer to something, you can not go to your manager for help. Executives gossip inbetween themselves, and as a result, political conflicts frequently arise.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like real human beings. Micromanaging is only time consuming and takes away from employee productivity. Working smart is more efficient than wasting 70 hours a week on insufficient tasks.

"Bridled by process, and inter-departmental politics."

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive

I have been working at Coupa Software Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic product, fantastic benefits, cutting edge leader within the industry. It's possibly the best product I've had the privilege to sell in my career to date.

Cons

Remote employees are disconnected from the mothership. Sales ops is a joke, takes days to receive approval on a quote for your customer/prospect even if there's no discount requiring approval.

Unfortunately, Coupa is a small company pretending to be a large one. They've riddled themselves with process, workflow and approval, and the basics of sales is difficult to accomplish.

Micro Management within sales is an ongoing issue. High turnover here, not because the product doesn't work or sell, it's because leadership wants to be involved in EVERY deal, and often muddies up the sales process.

Advice to Management

Leadership should be here to support their teams. Provide support when asked to, and remove hurdles within the process when brought to your attention. Right now, leadership is creating hurdles and more process, making it difficult to provide what our customers and prospects expect from us.

Jan 5, 2017 – EVP People

Thank you for your feedback. We agree with you that we have a fantastic product and benefits! There are inevitable growing pains when a smaller company is scaling at the rate which we currently are ... More

"Coupa Review"

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer

I worked at Coupa Software Inc (Less than a year)

Pros

Great compensation and company provides all kinds of food and even caters lunch once a week.

Cons

Employees can lose sight of just how beneficial the product is because as support, only the negative feedback is received.

Nov 29, 2016 – Head of Global Talent Acquisition and Enablement

Thanks for your feedback. You’ve brought up an interesting point in your “Cons” section that will be brought to the attention of the Technical Support leadership team. We are a leader in the spend ... More

"Mirror mirror on the wall...."

I worked at Coupa Software Inc full-time

Pros

There are some very smart, collaborative, and flat out great people at Coupa. Working with them can be very inspiring and it is amazing what can be accomplished.

Cons

Growth is hard. Hiring talented people who fit the culture is hard. That said, Coupa is flunking at scaling the company thoughtfully. Layers of management added, significant amount of cronyism. Department heads who just look out for themselves, not the greater good of the company.

Advice to Management

Stop believing your own hype. Yes, you have a tremendous opportunity in an underserved market. But you're not a perfect, mythical being. Look at how bloated the org has become. Look how the culture has deteriorated. Are you truly innovating, or just copying? Those who shout the loudest aren't necessarily the ones who are right, or the ones who are most committed. Make sure you actions reflect your core values, like caring for your customers or your employees. Be transparent and honest.

Mar 11, 2016 – EVP People

Thank you for your feedback. We agree that we have a tremendous opportunity in an underserved market, and we acknowledge that there is always room for improvement. That is why our third core value is ... More

"Split personality, good company potential, questionable W2 play for sales professional"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Coupa Software Inc full-time

Pros

strong solution, good market and teamwork across non-sales areas, many good people who believe in the company and culture

Cons

Be prepared for micro-management and a quota structure where 4% of quota carrying reps will make plan while all sales management will go to quota club. A few great sales and comp. success stories from last year, but very high turnover. They've developed a highly segmented and very political sales org with very few people making the money they were prior to joining Coupa. They've churned through good AEs and sales managers while allowing demoted sales leader to pull qualified opportunities from reps on other teams for his team. Qualify your role and accounts/territory very carefully.

Advice to Management

Simplify sales organization and instill leadership who wants team success, with renew focus on true customer success