Coursera Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Coursera CEO Jeff Maggioncalda
Jeff Maggioncalda
Pros
Cons
  • "Lots of incompetent middle managers(in 9 reviews)

• "Work life balance feels unsustainable at times, non-engineers have a slight air of entitlement and culture feels skewed to their benefit(in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Awesome company to work for!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Coursera full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- I love working for a mission-driven company, helping people develop and transform their skills creates an overall purpose to everything we do - Culture: people are passionate, collaborative, smart and down to earth. I really enjoy working with everyone - I enjoy that we're still a start up in the sense that each individual has a big impact in shaping the company - Great diversity - Flexibility: I work full time...

Cons

Nothing out of the ordinary, the usual growing pains of a fast growing company. Mainly: 1) We need to create a more efficient and structured way of sharing knowledge and information 2) We need more engineering resources. Our product has SO much potential but we're a bit strapped right now due to resource shortages

Advice to Management

- We have an amazing culture of passionate, collaborative and smart people that are also authentic and down to earth, we really need to preserve this culture as we grow - We need to create a more efficient and structured way of sharing knowledge and information, this will be especially important as we're looking to grow substantially and are hiring new people every week.

Coursera2018-06-06

August 27, 2018Director of HR

Thank you for your feedback! We're always working to cultivate an enjoyable and stimulating environment for every employee. Thank you for being a part of Coursera. We encourage you to give feedback to your managers regarding what we're doing right, and where we should work to improve. ...

2. "Volunteer Mentor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Coursera for more than a year

Pros

Give back to the community

Cons

Sometimes takes a while to guide a student to find a solution

Coursera2019-04-12
  3. "Nice Company"

I worked at Coursera full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place to work at

Cons

No special things to mention

Coursera2019-03-04

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Coursera full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Interesting, impactful work - Amazing people - Great work/life balance - Fantastic office amenities (music room!) - Good benefits - Very promising future

Cons

Can't think of anything (really!). There has been a reorg and a small pivot that some people were unhappy with a year or so ago (wasn't at the company yet), but everyone seems happy now.

Coursera2019-01-31
    • "Incredible team with lots of hustle and a big, bold mission"

I worked at Coursera full-time

Pros

Coursera cares about putting learners first, which means moving fast, iterating on ideas rapidly, and not settling for adequate. Coursera's culture is quirky, humble, fast-paced, and honest about failure. Coursera wants to IPO soon, and that means getting many things right quickly. The degrees business (I believe) will power Coursera's growth in the next 5 years. The product and design teams are especially strong.

Cons

It's challenging to juggle three major business lines at once. Prioritizing and resourcing can be difficult.

Advice to Management

Don't lose focus on the core MOOC business - that's what brings in new audiences to the platform

Coursera2019-01-15
    • "Great mission and challenges for engineers"

I have been working at Coursera full-time

Pros

* Lots of great challenges around complexity for engineers * Love the mission of the company

Cons

* Challenges can be difficult to overcome, not an easy startup to be in

Advice to Management

* Bring more focus to do fewer things better

Coursera2018-11-10

December 5, 2018Director of HR

Thanks for your review, and for your continued contribution to Coursera. Feedback like yours helps us to refine and improve our process. We appreciate you taking the time to write this — if you have any further feedback to share, please email us at glassdoor@coursera.org.

"Former Engineering Intern's review"

Current Employee - Software Engineer(Internship) in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Coursera full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place for growth. Company not disrupting now like crazy but business growing steadily and with degrees coming in, company seems to be doing better business wise. People are fun, brilliant and driven. Lunch and dinner catered every day and it's not bad. Ping pong and pool are lots of fun!

Cons

Company seems to scourging for talent right now. Which can be a good thing and a bad thing. As the company grows, it may be hard to preserve the culture that coursera is known for.

Advice to Management

Maintain a high talent bar to ensure top talent coming into company

Coursera2018-10-31

"Senior Manager"

I worked at Coursera full-time

Pros

- People are smart and fun to work with - Good food, work from home Wednesdays

Cons

Management doesn't care about providing universal access to the world’s best education anymore. All they care about is selling degrees

Advice to Management

Look back at Coursera's mission!

Coursera2018-11-02

December 5, 2018Director of HR

Thank you for your feedback! In the spirit of betterment, we take every piece of employee feedback seriously. If you have any further feedback to share, we encourage you to contact us at glassdoor@coursera.org.

• "Great company to work for!"

I have been working at Coursera full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1) Talented colleagues to work with and learn from 2) Ability to make impact at any level 3) Continued and exciting growth for product & company (roadmap) 4) Flexible working schedules and hours - work from home on Wednesdays 5) Good benefits & extra perks

Cons

I believe the company has improved drastically on communication to the whole, but I think there is still room for improvement. I don't think this is unique to Coursera, though.

Coursera2018-10-03

December 5, 2018Director of HR

Thanks for your feedback! We appreciate your input, and we're happy to hear that you’re enjoying your experience at Coursera. If you have any further feedback to share, please contact us at glassdoor@coursera.org.

• "Coursera Assistant Instructor"

I worked at Coursera part-time

Pros

Good hours, good feedback. Is fun to interact with students.

Cons

Hard to navigate grader UI

Coursera2018-09-19