Covance Reviews in Madison, WI | Glassdoor

2.4
Covance CEO John Ratliff
John Ratliff

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work life balance at company (in 43 reviews)

• Remote work allowed; Good benefits; Flexible (in 66 reviews)

1. "Contractor"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in Madison, WI
    Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in Madison, WI

I have been working at Covance (More than 3 years)

Pros

The hours are great . People are diverse as well

Cons

There are no cons I can think of at the moment

Advice to Management

None

2. "Covance Manangement"

Current Employee - Associate Analytical Chemist in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Associate Analytical Chemist in Madison, WI

I have been working at Covance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Usually will reply within a timely manner/can be reached easily.

Cons

Management does not address issues in a timely manner. I didn’t see my supervisor for weeks at a time while working in the lab.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees! We had 4 people leave our team in the span of 5 months due to management not being able to hire new employees fast enough and being overworked.

3. "Great Job, not Great Work Environment"

Current Employee - Study Technician in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Study Technician in Madison, WI

I have been working at Covance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co workers
    You can basically work as much overtime as possible
    Learn a variety of tasks

Cons

Management
    Forced to work extreme hours
    High stress work environment
    Over worked and underpaid

"Worst Place ever!"

Current Employee - Research Technician in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Research Technician in Madison, WI

I have been working at Covance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Coworkers care about each other and the participants

Cons

Supervisors and Managers don’t care about the studies or the employees. All they care about is their title. If they treated people better, they would keep employees. Employee satisfaction is at the bottom of the list! The benefits suck!

Advice to Management

Remember to take care of the workers on the bottom of the employee chain. They are the front line workers that make you money!

5. "madison, wi. covance"

Former Employee - Animal Care Technician I, II and III/Study Tech in Madison, WI

I worked at Covance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

LOTS OF OVERTIME. no less than 50 hours a week, worked up to 90 a week. All indoor work. working with the animals was cool, monkeys, baboons, dogs, rats, mice, gerbils, ferrets, and more. time off is all PTO, to be used however you want. Parking is on same property. On site restaurant/ kitchen. free coffee. vending machines all over. Most co workers are good people but nerves are freyed.

Cons

work load is unreasonable. NO BREAKS, not even to go to the bathroom, if you are too buzy. Had a coworker that was diabetic that wasnt given enough time to take meds. Harassment is not taken seriously at best and at worst it is sweeped under the rug. I was harassed by a coworker, as were other people by the same guy. I had evidence, told my supervisor and nothing was done. My wife was also Harrassed. After years the guy was fired when he harassed a manager.
     You have to kill alot of animals! I mean lots. i probably participated in 10 to 30 thousand non rodent sacks. It is emotionally draining. You can get very attached to the beagles, monkeys, and baboons.
    The raises are given out on a negative curve. This means somebody has to be considered a failure. This encourages people to back stab and not look out for each other, discourages team work.

Advice to Management

start being a human being.

"Unethical"

Former Employee - Lead Research Specialist in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Lead Research Specialist in Madison, WI

I worked at Covance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None to speak of. Simply the worst company around.

Cons

Unethical, data falsification, animal abuse and neglect, zero work/personal life balance.

Covance Response

Oct 23, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you for your review. The health and wellness of the animals in our care and client data is of primary concern to Covance. We take claims of unethical behavior, data falsification and animal... More

7. "OK Entry-Level Position"

Former Contractor - Food Solutions in Madison, WI
    Former Contractor - Food Solutions in Madison, WI

I worked at Covance as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Worked in the food solutions side of Covance- sample management and the lab. The job seems like a lot at first, but you quickly master it. Your coworkers are generally competent and nice. It is a good entry-level position. All that being said...

Cons

The place is chronically understaffed which leads to regularly stressed management which is most likely getting pressured from above. The sample management side is both understaffed and poorly staffed. They advertise the job to retirees and college students and end up with temporary workers who are not qualified or don't care. This leads to missed deadlines and errors consistently, but they continue to try and stretch the current employees and facilities thin. Overall this leads to a sort of tribalism between the lab, sample management, and customer service representatives because each group is causing headaches for the other, oftentimes with little understanding of the others job function and process.

There's not a whole lot of room for growth without advanced education, so your motivation to do better under worse deadlines/conditions is minimal. As far as I can tell, your best hope is to eventually transition to a customer service role (and proceed to get angry calls from customers who have errors and late results) or to a management role (and proceed to get angry emails from upper management).

Advice to Management

Offer a higher wage for sample management positions to attract better personnel. I know it seems as though sample management has the lowest level of technical skill but the whole testing process begins with them. If errors start at sample management, they're more likely to snowball through the process. This could also solve another problem of each sector being a blackbox to the others. Perhaps attracting higher talent at the groundlevel (i.e. sample management), you could promote more from within and then each group would have a greater understanding of the other aspects of the business, allowing better communication, fewer errors, etc.

"coordinator"

Former Employee - Study Manager in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Study Manager in Madison, WI

I worked at Covance (More than 8 years)

Pros

Peers around to ask are available

Cons

A culture of envy and desire to pull everybody down

"Study Tech"

Current Employee - Study Tech in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Study Tech in Madison, WI

I have been working at Covance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Once in the company, it is easy to move on into different roles.

Cons

No work/life balance, no appreciation from management, management doesn't know how to run business, poor pay, management takes advantage of good working kids right out of school who don't know any better.

Advice to Management

Hire people who actually studied management in school, not science majors who have no clue how to run a business.

"Review"

Former Employee - Toxicologist in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Toxicologist in Madison, WI

I worked at Covance full-time

Pros

Peers present for professional advice.

Cons

No loyalty from upper management

Advice to Management

Treat your underlings as you would like to be treated