Covance Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Covance CEO John Ratliff
John Ratliff

Pros
  • Great management - helps a lot with your development and maintains a good work life balance though good work scheduling (in 41 reviews)

• Good benefits and career opportunities (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is nearly impossible to have (in 62 reviews)

• Absolutely no work life balance (in 18 reviews)

1. "Great Opportunities"

Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Covance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Huge company so lots of room of growth.

Cons

Management can be a little too involved.

2. "Ok"

Current Employee - Associate Project Manager in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Associate Project Manager in Madison, WI

I have been working at Covance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities at Covance

Cons

Lots of work. No work / life balance

3. "Great Company; Great People"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Covance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hardworking folks that are always ready to work with you. Clear deadlines and expectations.

Cons

Work on the phone is not for everyone, but if you're good at it, this place is great.

5. "Work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at Covance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Collaborative environment and hard working employees.

Cons

Many changes in management in tenure

"Program specialist in California"

Current Employee - Program Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Program Specialist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Covance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This place is definitely good to gain experience, there is a nice cafe downstairs that employees can get a discount at (otherwise expensive) and the building/location itself is very nice. Also there is a nice gym on site that the employees are able to use for free (if you are employeed with Covance, not a temp). I plan to stay here a little longer to get more experience, see if I can switch programs, and if not move on with a place I can make a career out of.

Cons

Even thought the building is very nice the suite itself looks run down, and the computer systems that they use are extremely slow for the workload. They over work you, big time. If you really care about being productive and doing quality work you will get burnt out picking up all the extra slack. My program sucks, and most people in my program don't like their job, so from what I've heard from other employees they like what they do if you're lucky enough to get put in a good program, and good luck when asking to switch. If you are employeed with Covance or are a direct hire you're able to park in the parking lot, aside for that temps have a lot of trouble finding street parking so that is an issue, pto is good but benefits are crazy expensive. I feel like they really squeeze people into every corner, I have my own cubical but a lot of people are on folding tables as desks. High turn around, constantly people getting hired, fired and quitting. I have worked here for over a year and they still won't give me a time frame on when I will be having my annual review for a raise.

Advice to Management

Have realistic goals for your employees, stop all the favoritism, and give us good benefits. Also, upgrade your systems.

"Senior Research Assistant"

Former Employee - Senior Research Assistant in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Senior Research Assistant in Madison, WI

I worked at Covance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, lots of vacation, good benefits

Cons

Extremely high turnover, management is extremely inconsistent with goals, workload fluxuates a lot ad management doesn't handle it well

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach

8. "Microbiology Technician"

Current Employee - Microbiology Technician in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Microbiology Technician in Madison, WI

I have been working at Covance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome coworkers!!! Great people to work with.

Cons

No home/work balance. If you only want to work 8 hours a day, this is not the place to work.

"Customer Service"

Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Greenfield, IN
    Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Greenfield, IN

I worked at Covance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Genuinely nice, caring people. I hated to leave them

Cons

Unrealistic expectations; you were given 7 days of instruction, but not allowed to take notes home to study. This means you either had to cheat, or have a photographic memory. VERY high turnover with no expectation of success; there is a staffing office here which exists solely to 'feed' more people into the customer service position. It is a situation of using the employees then discarding when they can't keep up with the workload (because they never had a chance to really learn things), which certainly saves money on paying health insurance costs. This seems a shockingly money-wasting way to do business. Just get your employees, TRAIN them right, and keep them. Covance has a very bad name in Greenfield, IN, not just the call center, but among all the departments. My class alone went from 14 people to 4. Does that tell you anything?

Advice to Management

Deal with your (staffing agency) employees honestly. Don't treat them like toilet paper (use them, then flush them).

"20+ Year Employee Left Due to Covance being Sold"

Former Employee - Early Clinical Biometrics in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Early Clinical Biometrics in Madison, WI

I worked at Covance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place for someone with no experience to learn and then leave after a few years. Rating given is after 2016 - prior that I would have given 4 or 5 stars in every category except work/life balance.

Cons

Covance WAS an excellent place to work until 2016 when LabCorp purchased them. LabCorp got rid of the day after Thanksgiving as a holiday, got rid of year-end bonus program, got rid of excellent health care benefits (best in industry) and replaced with bad, very expensive health care plan. They implemented wellness program, which was a joke.

No work/life balance, management doesn't listen to their staff, location issues with communication and sharing of ideas. Need to be more competitive with salary otherwise you will lose long-term employees.

Advice to Management

Management needs to listen to their staff rather than putting blinders on to any issues/problems. Too much is expected of supervisors and managers that they burn out after a few years. Covance needs to get back to old Covance philosophy of providing clients a quality product - rather than just getting it done quickly, cutting corners and saving money. LabCorp needs to let Covance be Covance instead adopting LabCorp philosophies.

"Run far away"

Current Employee - Study Technician in Greenfield, IN
    Current Employee - Study Technician in Greenfield, IN

I have been working at Covance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

While the pay is the lowest in the industry, it's decent compared to other jobs near Greenfield. Pays the bills, which places the pay a cut above food industry and retail jobs.

Cons

*This site just laid off nearly 100 people in operations.* Overtime was cut a couple months ago too. Management has created a culture of fear. Job satisfaction is LOW. Every person in my department is actively job searching. Think twice before applying here (unless you're BFF with a supervisor, then you'll be making $50K+ in no time).

Advice to Management

Study models were dropped because people made mistakes. People made mistakes because they were overworked, not because they are incompetent employees. Balance the workload. Treat people fairly. Stop playing favorites. Performance reviews shouldn't be based on how many shots you took with your subordinate over the last year.