Covanta Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Covanta President & CEO Steve Jones
Steve Jones

Pros
  • The company offers good pay and benefits (in 6 reviews)

• Great pay, great benefits package, overall great environment to work for (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of communication at times from upper management, which creates confusion and sometimes tension (in 3 reviews)

• Mandatory overtime on an almost weekly basis, but you're not told about it until the last possible minute (in 3 reviews)

1. "Would go back"

Pros

Great Company to work for

Cons

Aren't hiring people with my degree

2. "middle of the road company"

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Covanta (More than 5 years)

Pros

secure company to work for

Cons

no growth at the company

Advice to Management

grow company in markets other than us

3. "Good"

Pros

Good expiernce for new interns

Cons

Not that many bad things.

5. "Too little too late"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morristown, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morristown, NJ

I have been working at Covanta full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits package, Morristown HQ is accessible to major highways, cubicles are a good size, multiple kitchens on company floor, facility employees are awesome and understand teamwork.

Cons

Covanta is not moving fast enough to keep employees here. You will notice there are new hires and 10+ veterans but not many in between. If you're looking for professional development opportunities this is not the place. HR's efforts at employee relations and culture are pitiful. Too much dead weight at the higher level. I was hoping to grow at this company but after several years I am moving quick to get out. There are many hand to forehead and huh? moments when new initiatives roll out at Covanta. Like including sick days as PTO days which encourages people to come into work ill so they don't have to use vacation time when sick.

Advice to Management

Your senior management team should represent your company and where you envision Covanta going. What does Covanta's team represent? If you'd like to hire and retain talent, get rid of the 45+ white male boys club and find an HR department that will fight for its employees. Your issue isn't just at the facilities, it's at HQ as well.

6. "Great company"

I worked at Covanta full-time (More than a year)

Pros

very good atmosphere, good benefits

Cons

too much favoritism, not enough logic

7. "This company has come a long way in a short period of time with the new leadership team."

Current Employee - Senior IT Program Manager in Morristown, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior IT Program Manager in Morristown, NJ

I have been working at Covanta full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment
    Excellent benefits
    Work life balance
    The company has a clear strategy for moving forward
    Hard and dedicated employees

Cons

Pay is not inline with other companies and the HR group is out of touch with the reality of what positions pay in NJ.

Advice to Management

The technology organization is making great progress turning around years of problems and we are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Keep investing and moving forward with our new strategy!

8. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Facilities Manager
    Current Employee - Facilities Manager

I have been working at Covanta full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Having been with Covanta for 15yrs, I feel we are a company that provides opportunity to those who choose to climb the ranks. Covanta is committed to safety and environmental compliance and offers employees a competitive compensation and benefits package.

Cons

Filling some positions has been a challenge and impacts employees work life balance.

Advice to Management

Working in waste to energy is not everyone's cup of tea, and in some cases we will need to become more open minded and broaden our pool of talent when hiring in the future.

9. "Covanta"

Current Employee - Business Manager in Haverhill, MA
    Current Employee - Business Manager in Haverhill, MA

I have been working at Covanta full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Covanta management is strong and is supportive. Company has many employees that are 10 and 20 year veterans. That should speak to if working for Covanta is a career move or just a temporary stop. I have been relatively pleased with making the move to Covanta

Cons

Communication has been difficult in the past by having a sectioned off department structure. This is slowly starting to change through some restructuring and acknowledgement from senior leadership.

10. "Ample Opportunities"

I have been working at Covanta full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many of the higher level hourly and management positions are filled by people who moved up through the ranks. If you are willing to work hard and apply yourself, there is no shortage of promotional opportunities. I myself moved up into my current position. There are plants in multiple states and now abroad allowing for transfer opportunity. Pay and benefits packages are very competitive. With just a high school diploma, Covanta has provided me with an excellent living allowing me to take care of my family for many years now.

Cons

Entry level positions can be somewhat labor intensive. Operations type positions at the plants are generally 24/7 positions that require working nights, weekends and holidays. Significant overtime is required (but always appreciated and well compensated).

11. "work"

I worked at Covanta full-time

Pros

abundance of overtime, get experience at a lot of stuff, provide benefits which are comparable to other companies

Cons

do not really get vacation more of a time off swap. very labor intensive and dirty work, can be demanding at times