Covenant House California Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 16, 2017

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Great Learning and Working Experience and Connections"

I worked at Covenant House California full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Covenant House California for over 4 years and my overall experience there was very positive; there were certainly some rough patches in the first half, but they were resolved. However I had a great working relationship with the staff and the department I worked in. Also made numerous positive connections and hope that the agency continues its mission and advocacy while also keeping in mind the well-being of it's dedicated staff as best as it can.

Cons

It being a non-profit there is always going to be the issue of salary/compensation, but I don't fault the agency for that; instead they are able to pay what they are able to pay based on the overall need of putting the services towards the youth first.

2. "A legacy of bad executive decisions"

I worked at Covenant House California full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Homeless youth can get much needed help to improve their lives. Acceptable if you need a job right away and don't plan to stay long.

Cons

Low pay, poor morale, no staff development, expensive insurance, most board members are involved in name only. CFO is abusive to staff, arbitrary and vindictive. Poor security measures despite numerous incidents.

Advice to Management

Cutting costs by reducing programs for the youth and putting long term freezes on staff salaries should not be cause for rewarding under-performing upper management with generous pay increases.

Invest in your employees by providing tools, training and resources so they can best help the youth served. Stop financially rewarding those who stifle the organization's ability to fulfill its mission.

"Low pay horrible place to work"

Former Employee - Case Worker in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Case Worker in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Covenant House California (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work loved my job, felt like I was making a difference in the lives of the people that we served. That made getting up in the morning enjoyable.

Cons

Management doesn't listen. Often has favorites. No room for advancement, a lot of lazy co-workers who get rewarded for doing nothing while others work hard and just get yelled at

Advice to Management

Need to increase the wages of the employees and stop cutting benefits. Need a lot more staff and a friendlier environment

5. "Flexible"

Current Employee - Resident Advisor in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Resident Advisor in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at Covenant House California part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I appreciate the flexibility in work schedule.

Cons

Pay is low, but minimal headaches.

Advice to Management

Be more consistent.

"Employment and Education"

I worked at Covenant House California full-time

Pros

I worked in a department with regular hours with weekends off. My supervisor liked me and she did her best with the resources available to her. Most underlings are nice.

Cons

Funds are limited and the nature of the organization is also limiting. Working with clients can be difficult as they come from difficult situations and we had to expect a lot from them. Morale tended to be low. Work was generally boring and pay was low.

Advice to Management

Find a way to compensate your employees fairly. Ask them how they can be more of a community. Be more creative with your development.

"Nice for Executive Staff"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, CA

Pros

Cheap but crappy insurance

Cons

High paid executives with little experience and underpaid staff. High turnovers. No staff raises in years but executives keep making more money. Poor benefits and work life.

"Staff"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, CA

I worked at Covenant House California full-time

Pros

Mission of Covenant House. Most employees are very nice. Clients review nice accommodations and respected by staff.

Cons

Stressful work environment. Departments do not interact. Workers in finance department treated terribly. Work place feels like a high school with teenagers gossiping and spreading rumors. Terrible pay for work required. Little room for advancement. No real change since last executive director even though new director acts likes there has been.

Advice to Management

Need new management. Pay staff what they are worth.

"Could be great"

Current Employee - Residential Services Department in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Residential Services Department in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at Covenant House California full-time

Pros

Great employees. Everyone is nice and helpful

Cons

Pay is poor. Turnover is high. Most likely due to low pay and what can be considered a challenging work environment.

Advice to Management

Pay staff more. Raises would be appreciated or else other useful perks. You wouldn't have to do so much hiring. Employee retention would improve.

"Great social service, terrible administration"

Former Employee - Fundraising in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Fundraising in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Covenant House California full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Helping young men and women living on the streets who are too old for foster care and too young for social services. Great education and housing program. Great staff of social workers and volunteers.

Cons

Previous executive director (since retired) was inefficient opened new shelter in Oakland and bought land next to LA shelter which reduced company's reserves dramatically and increased need for fundraising for which the company was not prepared. The Board was made up of "friend or a friend" people who were not fully involved .

Advice to Management

Fortunately, previous Executive Director retired and I'm hoping the new administration succeeds.