Cover image for Covenant Logistics

Covenant Logistics

Engaged Employer

Covenant Logistics

Add a Review

Covenant Logistics Employee Reviews about "home time"

3.1
55% Recommend to a Friend
Covenant Logistics Founder and CEO David R. Parker
63% Approve of CEO
3.1
Covenant Logistics Founder and CEO David R. Parker
David R. Parker

What are your colleagues talking about?

Find your private company bowl on Community, join the hottest conversation with your colleagues anonymously.
Join the Conversation

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor

Pros
  • "Covenant is a great company to drive for with good pay(in 25 reviews)
  • "Great people to work for(in 16 reviews)
  • "You can make good money on truck recovery as people leave there tucks like chips on a casino floor(in 9 reviews)
  • "It has a great culture(in 9 reviews)
  • "Everything is good benefits and all and they are very family oriented(in 7 reviews)
Cons

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Covenant Logistics and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
Verify your email to use filters. Having problems? Resend email

Found 8 of over 349 reviews

Updated Sep 21, 2023

Reviews about "home time"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 3.0
      Nov 18, 2016
      Cdl Class A Driver
      Current Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of work if you dont mind being away from home for a month or more at a time.

Cons

They promise the moon and stars....they say that they really care for thier drivers....both seem to be half truths. But in the trucking industry they are actually pretty good. First of they say they have paid training. You go to the covenant training center in chattanooga tn. Stay in a c- former motel, they get you through training for a week. The 'paid' training is actually a $100 advance on your first paycheck. Then you get pared with a trainer for about a month. Then you come back for another week of 'finishing school' where they teach you how to manuever through an obsticle coase. If you are expecting to make big money real fast you will be disappointed on how long it takes. But if you can get through all that then they are ok, the pay is ok, lots of time away from home and family is the biggest drawback.

1. 2.0
        Nov 1, 2022
        Delivery Driver
        Former Employee, less than 1 year
        Business Outlook

Pros

Sign on Bonus Pay per mile

Cons

Very slow freight Long wait times 36+ hours waiting for a load Minimal home time Poor communication

2. Join the Covenant Logistics team
        See Our Latest Jobs
        1. 5.0
          Nov 25, 2016
          Dedicated Driver
          Current Employee, more than 1 year
          Pomona, CA
          Business Outlook

Pros

They truly respect their drivers and work hard at keeping them rolling.

Cons

Too much time away from home for me.

Sep 27, 2018
            Class A Truck Driver
            Former Employee, less than 1 year
            Memphis, TN
            Business Outlook

Pros

Star Transportation Provided great home time.

Cons

Covenant sister company Star Transportation was the most unprofessional job ive had. Very Low Miles And Low Pay. Miss Communication within the whole company.

Oct 9, 2015
              Professional Driver
              Current Employee, more than 1 year
              New York, NY
              Business Outlook

Pros

Decent home time policy. Trucks get needed repairs. Free fuel, insurance and d.o.t requirements. Not very choicey on hiring process. Employee pool is well versed

Cons

A lot of red tape, unspoken and undefined rules. Poor communication across all levels of employees. The pay definitely isn't worth being away from family.

1. 5.0
                Dec 31, 2022
                Truck Driver
                Former Employee, more than 1 year
                Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible with home time great team leaders on team 7

Cons

Looking for empty trailers when in between loads.

Nov 20, 2021
                  Driver
                  Former Employee, more than 1 year
                  Business Outlook

Pros

Well...they pay you. They will train you. They have options for different routes/type of freight, such as LTL, dedicated, and reefer. Otherwise, they have issues in pretty much all other areas.

Cons

You will almost never get home on time. Just don't expect it. Yes, they say they will guarantee you home time or get some extra money, but apparently they don't care about the extra expense since we almost never got home on time. It is extremely difficult to get ahold of anybody. They refused to give me and phone numbers of office people, saying please use the omnitracs. The problem was that it took about an hour to hear back from anyone on the omnitracs. In fact, this problem doesn't stop when you leave the company. When I went through the hiring process at another company, they kept asking for other phone numbers for Covenant since they couldn't get ahold of them to verify employment. Then there are the trailer hunts. There were many times that no empty was was available at the last delivery, so the company would send us on a wild goose chase for another empty. On one occasion, we spent 16 hours trying to get an empty and eventually lost the load, of course. How can one company be this inefficient? Then there's the roach motel... when you go to orientation. The hotel has black mold, roaches, stairs crumbling, etc. Their hotel should be condemned. If you do go to Covenant, bring money for your own hotel. There are many cheap hotels in the area. Also being money for food. They do provide food, but I can't say enough how bad it is. We gave up on the second day trying to eat their food and bought a cooler and started making trips to Walmart. Also expect up to two months of waiting to be placed in a truck after training/orientation. It took us a month, and it took other people we talked to up to two months. A lot of the experienced drivers just have up and left. Very unprofessional. The last complaint is that the trainers are very hit and miss. The only thing I can say is that if you get a bad trainer, ask for a new one. Our first trainer was next level horrible. (She physically hit me and I ended up getting a different trainer.) Other trainees we talked to had similar horror stories. Our second trainer was awesome, though, so I they aren't all bad. I can't blame the company 100%, I suppose, but since they have had many problems with trainers, I would say there is more that can be done. The last thing I would complain about is that the company will put you on probation for the smallest mistakes, including unavoidable ones that the dash cam picks up. The dash cam footage is reviewed by a safety person and it is 100% their opinion as to whether or not they deem the footage 'your fault,' not to mention they will not let you see the footage so you your career is in the hands of some office person's subjectivity. Use the omnitracs to cover yourself for every single little thing as this company has no leniency, even for people that have been there for 10+ years. I had friends leave the company because of this 'subjective probation' problem just to protect their CDL. Be very careful to mind your Ps and Qs. Honestly, I wouldn't risk this company just because of that. I've driven for other companies that have much more respectful safety policies.

1. 3.0
                    Jan 26, 2012
                    Driver
                    Current Employee
                    Business Outlook

Pros

they are pretty good about getting you home on time terminal very close to home protread training on qualcomm pretty new euip

Cons

lack of communication from fleet mgr rude terminal employees night dispatchers that just don't care don't know what service is like haven't been there yet training for student needs to improve i worked with 2 student that could not shift

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 Reviews

Popular Conversations

Interview Tips

190.9K

Software Engineer

Any tips/suggestions for Software Engineer III technical interview?

0 Comments

Case Manager

I applied to 4 jobs last week. Two companies replied that thy are reviewing my application and I have an interview tomorrow with a third. The company I'm interviewing with is the one I'm least interested in of the four, though it is better than my current job. What is the etiquette if I'm offered a job with this company but I want to wait and see what response I get from the other 3? Should I tell the company I need a couple weeks to decide, or be up front that I'm waiting for other offers? Or?

2 Comments

Underwriter

During my interview with a Vice President, he mentioned that the "background check" had been reviewed. He brought up cities I had lived in at one point, even though I hadn't included that information on my resume or LinkedIn profile, though it is accurate. Additionally, he was aware of my entrepreneurship experience, which I had not disclosed anywhere. I'm curious about the source of this information. I'm currently progressing through the interview rounds without any offer or signed documents.

5 Comments

Werner Enterprises

3.3

1,262 Reviews
                  Compare

Glassdoor has 349 Covenant Logistics reviews submitted anonymously by Covenant Logistics employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if Covenant Logistics is right for you.