Covestro Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 39 reviews

4.1
Covestro CEO Patrick W. Thomas
Patrick W. Thomas
Pros
  • "There is perfect work life balance(in 12 reviews)

• "The company has a lot of good benefits and for the most part treats its employees well(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Didn't seem to have a lot of opportunities for advancement(in 2 reviews)

• "Slow, Low pay packages, Too many changes in the recent past(in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Diamond in the Rough"

Current Employee - Lab Technician in Baytown, TX

I have been working at Covestro full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Management accommodates employee growth, abundant opportunities, great work environment, great people, flexible schedules.

Cons

None that are specific to Covestro, corporate is very supportive of employees. Bayer material sciences was recently transferred to Covestro resulting in some changes to data management etc. , but for the most part the transfer was seamless.

Covestro2019-02-23
  2. "management culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Covestro full-time

Pros

Global company with international opportunities Decent pay and benefits Efforts to portray a forward-thinking brand image

Cons

Management seems to reward a 'yes man' mentality that produces group-think, and appeared out of touch with day-to-day work. Limited opportunities for advancement. Some of the longer-term 'Bayer-era' employees seem highly mistrustful of change, and could sometimes engage in seemingly petty unhealthy behavior toward newer employees. Workplace compliance issues sometimes did not appear to be dealt with appropriately.

Advice to Management

Listen to employee feedback. Uphold your stated company values and policies, and not just provide lip-service.

Covestro2019-01-03
  3. "Ever changing, ever evolving to be the industry’s best."

Current Employee - Supervisor in Baytown, TX

I have been working at Covestro full-time for more than 19 years

Pros

Very innovative company with Safety First at all times. Diverse group and people oriented.

Cons

Constantly tightening the financial belt which is good but being too lean can weigh on morale.

Advice to Management

Continue to consider your workforce which is the heart. Covestro is doing this well. Keep it up.

Covestro2018-07-04

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - Research Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Covestro full-time

Pros

Don't sell off pieces of the company

Cons

Bureaucracy can be overwhelming at times IT regulations onerous and limit ability to do ones job

Advice to Management

Please do not sell off pieces of the company. Recognize that IT should serve the business, not the other way around.

Covestro2018-04-11

"Solid company with a good management teat who cares for its employees."

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Boston, MA

I have been working at Covestro full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Strong company, good benefits & salary, open management that frequently communicates the status of the company to employees through town hall meetings. Flex work hours. Not once in four years have I ever regretted coming into work. Great work / life balance. Great place to work!

Cons

I honestly can’t think of anything to write here other then entering time off in the APD system is way harder than it needs to be. The programmer that came up with layout should be fired.

Advice to Management

Keep the company together!! Grow it, don’t sell off parts for additional revenue. You honestly don’t need it. Remember, never lose site that it’s the employees that are making the company strong. Don’t over complicate our business model or over think your success. Just because you can do something doesn’t mean you have to do something.

Covestro2017-12-02

"Just Okay"

Current Employee - Production Technician in Baytown, TX

I have been working at Covestro full-time

Pros

The company itself is just okay. Pay is on par with just about everyone else in the industry and that's it.

Cons

The atmosphere and culture alike that exists at Covestro is terrible. Management doesn't seem to care about operations at all. Technicians are miserable and always in a bad mood about work. Overtime is ridiculous, so forget working your normal DuPont schedule and actually getting some time away from your unit. Workload is extremely high and expectations are unrealistic. Overall not an enjoyable place to work, you won't...

Covestro2017-11-26

"Amazing Company for an Internship"

Former Employee - Engineering Coop in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Covestro for more than a year

Pros

Incredibly helpful team members and respectful management made working for Covestro an extremely rewarding experience. As an intern, I was put on projects that were challenging and which directly contributed to improvements that the full-time engineers were orchestrating. I always felt valued and was given the latitude to make suggestions and present my own findings to the team. I gained a massive amount of practical...

Cons

While I cannot rate the company lower for this aspect of the program, there are much fewer full-time opportunities available than internships for the particular branch of the company in which I was worker. This leads to a somewhat competitive situation in full-time employment is expected immediately following the internship. However, this detracts nothing from the extremely high quality of the internship program.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! The program is well-organized and offers a great deal in the way of opportunities to learn and grow as a professional.

Covestro2017-08-30

"Females will have a tough time"

Current Employee - Administrative in Hebron, OH

I have been working at Covestro full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent benefits, great pay, generous time off, positive corporate culture, Corporate leadership really inspires with town hall meetings and there is a very transparent element to their leadership style.

Cons

Corporate culture does not trickle down to the plant level so it's almost like you are not actually working for the same company as the CEO. In fact, the plants in the US are often shunned by our German counterparts. We are not treated with the same respect as our German peers. Technologically we are behind on all fronts out of fear of cyber security effectiveness. That makes it difficult to get the best tool for the...

Advice to Management

Stop allowing the "good ol' boy" culture to thrive. New outlook/opinions are not harmful and just because it hasn't been done for the past 15 years, doesn't make it a bad idea. For an innovative company, there is very little happening at the plant level. Innovation is not encouraged and there is a strong disadvantage for females as well.

Covestro2017-08-11

"Pushing Tenured Employees Out"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Covestro full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay. Good culture. Innovative thinking.

Cons

Lack of opportunity for advancement. Management out of touch with day to day work. HR policies are implemented but frequently disregarded. Pockets of "old boys' club" still exist. Tenured employees are quickly pushed aside for the flavor of the week.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to employee engagement surveys. Check in on HR to make sure policies are being followed.

Covestro2017-07-25
    • "Great place to work with lots of growth opportunities"

Current Employee - Buyer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Covestro full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good salary and benefits, great people to work with, good overall culture, lots of opportunities to grow. No individual reviews. If the company does well, you do well.

Cons

Some of the long standing Bayer employees do not work well with changes and it is hard to get them to cooperate. Headquarters is in Germany so we are not always aligned as quickly as we should be but that is getting better.

Advice to Management

Need to enforce the policies. Pittsburgh campus tends to do its own thing even though all the other NAFTA locations fall in line.

Covestro2017-05-10