Covidien Project Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Covidien Project Manager Reviews

Updated Jun 13, 2016

Found 9 reviews

3.6
Covidien CEO Omar Ishrak (no image)
Omar Ishrak
  1. "Excellent Learning Experience"

Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Covidien full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Committed to Quality and Safety, challenging environment

Cons

A lot of cost challenges

Advice to Management

Drive culture improvement

Covidien2014-09-02

"Covidien"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Covidien full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work environment, team is good, challenging projects,all your skills will be utilized to the highest,

Cons

too many politics to get a promotion. Project team is chosen depending on your rapport with the management

Covidien2016-06-13

"Not have a good company management team"

Project Manager in Mansfield, MA

I worked at Covidien

Pros

Big firm with multiple product lines and have many sites in different nations. US Surgical is a good company. Payment is good.

Cons

Quality of corporate management team is surprisingly low; really not sure how these people get the positions. Soon or later they will be out of offices.

Advice to Management

Give it Medtronic run. It did now. CUT off those management people who are not useful but waste everyone's time and money.

Covidien2015-11-11
  4. "Program Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in North Haven, CT

I worked at Covidien full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly coworkers and summer hours from Memorial Day to Labor Day. You can learn a lot about the medical and pharmaceutical industries.

Cons

Management that does not know how to manage development and manufacturing costs. Lots of blaming of others for mistakes. Managers try to use fear to motivate employees; it does not work.

Advice to Management

Get more people in Management and Sr. Management with experience successfully managing companies in cost sensitive industries such as automotive.

Covidien2015-04-25
  5. "project manager"

Former Contractor - Project Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Covidien for less than a year

Pros

big company so very stable

Cons

big company so everything is slow too many meetings.

Covidien2014-10-12
  6. "Place in transition"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Mansfield, MA

I have been working at Covidien full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company has invested a lot in me personally. I have been put into several leadership and development programs, they reimburse my tuition for grad school, and I've been given the opportunity to travel around the world. It is truly a global company in the sense they we engage frequently with peers overseas.

Cons

Many legacy employees are resistant to change and spend their time putting out fires. Few people have long term vision, failing to identify systemic issues and invest the time to resolve them. Instead they experience the same issues over and over again. In terms of culture, there is a vast difference between the business units and regions versus the corporate office. Corporate has too much bureaucracy and people... working in silos. Across the organization different groups of people are working on the exact same project, but are completely unaware. No coordinated PMO to support business processes (just IS projects).

Advice to Management

Most senior leadership is comprised of stuffy old men who have spent decades with the company and never even worked outside the medical device industry. They lack perspective and the culture is very resist to change because of it. Given that we are currently going through an acquisition, I'm sure the new company will clear out the top leaders which is strongly needed.

Covidien2014-07-30
  7. "Covidien Vascular Therapies Division"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Covidien full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay structure and they want to be a place that values employees. Nice offices and good location in Plymouth.

Cons

Market for peripheral vascular interventions seems to be a little bit edgy right now. Growth expectations under current market conditions are a challenge.

Covidien2014-04-08

"Covidien needs to dig deep and find integrity in running their organizations"

Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Covidien full-time

Pros

If you find a sponsor, you are golden.

Cons

Too many people are either related or are having relations

Advice to Management

Bring in bright people from the outside who can really help to shape the future of the company (instead of relying only on people who worked their 20 years and nowhere else)

Covidien2013-03-24

"Overall, I have been satisfied with my experiences and opportunities at Covidien for the last 8 years."

Project Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Covidien

Pros

Solid products offer some stability. However, there is concern for the future, no funnel of new products. I am from St. Louis, so it is nice to have the opportunity to move up and stay in town. Many choose travel vs. relocation. Company does spend money to try and keep the plants in good working conditions

Cons

20 Monkeys with typewriters could put together more constructive feedback than many of the managers in my department. Too much holding the cards and secrets from the masses or in many cases the Project Engineers and Managers that can actually improve your decisions.

Advice to Management

Please get rid of the last remnants of the Mallinckrodt guard that keep us stuck in the mud.

Covidien2011-11-28