Cox Automotive Reviews

Updated May 12, 2021

4.0
Cox Automotive President Steve Rowley
Steve Rowley
Pros
  • "Inclusive company with great benefits and growth potential(in 87 reviews)

• "One of the companies that still have a great work life balance(in 78 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Upper management changes too much(in 24 reviews)

• "I never understood why jobs in Atlanta couldn't be filled in other offices or work remotely(in 17 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Cox Automotive and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years
      Featured Review

Progressive, Forward Think Company Where Employees Are #1

Mar 30, 2021 - Senior Dealer Success Consultant in Edison, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent, typically best in class products. Never settle. Always developing product improvement. Involve sales team in development. Very clear that employees are HIGHLY valued. Great compensation & benefit plans

Cons

As with any growing technology based company, technology hiccups exist and are unavoidable. However, they are typically addressed very quickly and efficiently.

Cox Automotive Response

Employment Branding Specialist

Thanks for the kind words! Our company values serve as a guiding light for everything we do. It's nice to know they're shining through in your experience at Cox. So glad you are loving your career at Cox. We appreciate your feedback, and we are happy to have you as part of the Cox family!

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A People-Centric Company with Great Benefits

May 12, 2021 - Copywriter II
      Business Outlook

Pros

Growth potential Inclusive Environment People-centric Work/life balance Great benefits Prioritizes sustainability

Cons

Promotions, raises, and bonuses only happen annually Needs more on-boarding training

3. 5.0

Great place to work!

May 12, 2021 - Director of Workforce Management in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture, Salary, Highly Engaged Employees, Challenging & Growth Opportunities

Cons

Awesome place to work. Everything can be resolved with communication. Fast paced and ever changing environment. Must love change and innovation.

4. 4.0

Great benefits

Apr 27, 2021 - Account Management Specialist II in Mission, KS
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent health insurance, and the company itself has a very positive and progressive outlook. We can give each other points that can be put toward awesome prizes and they encourage health company-wide. We are also encouraged to participate in Employee Resource Groups like Conservation Team, Pride, and Women with Drive.

Cons

Cox Automotive is made up of quite a few smaller business units that are companies that have been acquired over time. As they come together there is a disconnect in Cox's progressive attitude and the sometimes abusive Automotive world. I think it's getting better but a lot of 'car people' are old-fashioned in ways that go against Cox's values. Also, pay discrepancies are pretty varied across business units, so when employees make lateral moves there can be some very large differences grandfathered in.

5. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Okay for a while, if you live in Vermont.

Mar 9, 2021 - Senior Marketing Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible PTO - if you don’t mind not getting bonuses in the months you take it. Good health insurance. Reasonable work/life balance.

Cons

Don’t expect to get promoted unless you live in Burlington, VT, want to move to BVT, are best friends with someone in BVT, or are buddy buddy with people at HQ in Atalanta. Good luck getting anyone in BVT to give you the time of day if you don’t live there-they may complain loudly and be where DDC started but they definitely have an elitist mentality up there. I was overlooked multiple times for career advancement simply because I did not live in Vermont. It didn’t matter I had the advanced degree or skills a job required, my physical location automatically excluded me, regardless of the fact most of the company’s clients are NOT in Vermont.... Level set pay in 2019 & 2020 for people who had years of experience with those that had zero experience. Hardly any room for career advancement. So if you’re okay with staying at the level you come in at, great. Not really “cutting edge” so much as hiring best friends and family members. Average to below average pay for tenure comparatively. Very much a “yes man” mentality - which is odd since technology should help drive market disruptions to improve reach. If you have to ideas to improve but aren’t a “yes man” expect an uphill battle.

1 person found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Found my home

Feb 4, 2021 - Strategic Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

After working in the dealership, spending 70+ hours a week, stressing myself out, I decided to find something else. Cox Automotive was suggested to me by my Autotrader rep at the time, so I applied. It was easily the best decision of my life. I now have a work life balance that is not only fulfilling to me, but is also embraced by the entire company. I finally have weekends off, a 401K with a 1:1 match and a year end contribution, reasonably priced health care costs, and unlimited PTO if needed. The management and leadership teams care about your success and help you with whatever resource you may need. I have referred 3 of my close friends and colleagues to this company and they are very happy.

Cons

With any sales position, sometimes the stress of hitting your objectives can take a toll on you. However, I would argue that most of that is self inflicted. Your manager and your team are valuable assets to help you build out your sales pipeline to ultimately get you to your objective. But, it can be stressful from time to time.

Cox Automotive Response

Employment Branding Specialist

Thanks for the kind words! Taking care of people is our M.O. and it's great to know your experience here reflects that. We are happy to have you as part of the Cox family!

7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Cautiously optimistic

May 5, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Most aspects are good here.

Cons

They are starting to lean heavily into woke diversity BS. Hiring and promoting people just because they're black. I cannot express in words how insulting this is to me as black man.

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 5.0

Support Employees and Focus on Career Growth

Apr 29, 2021 - Senior Performance Manager in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

I always feel supported in my role. The managers trust us and do not micro-manage. They are there to support us when needed. Also, Cox has an entire learning program for it's employees to use as a means to grow in their career.

Cons

None at this time. I am very satisfied with this company and hope to retire here.

9. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great Place to work.

May 7, 2021 - Implementation Project Lead in North Hills, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Benefits, Awesome Company Culture

Cons

Positions may not have a lot of room for growth

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great team, high energy, low pay

Mar 25, 2021 - Senior Product Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

My team is amazing and I love working with them. Cox has a lot of cool green initiatives. Great energy around what we're doing next.

Cons

Pay is considerably lower than comparable roles in other companies. Work-life balance is talked about but not always prioritized. It can be difficult to move up after you reach a certain career level.

3 people found this review helpful