Cox Communications Reviews in Chesapeake, VA | Glassdoor

Chesapeake, VA

3.6

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Working in a call center means that your view is limited to the cubicle your in, and if you're doing your job properly there is no downtime (in 64 reviews)

• Poor management no work life balance (in 26 reviews)

1. "Tier 1 Technical Support Supervisor"

Current Employee - Tier I Technical Support Supervisor in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Tier I Technical Support Supervisor in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay increase and a free trip to Vegas every other year! We are always celebrating something at Cox and celebrating with a meal provded,

Cons

Lots of meetings. Lots of work. Lots of deadlines. Not enough hours in the day.

Advice to Management

Lighten the load on Sups. Increase pay and separate vacation and sick time off.

2. "They keep you stagnant in your career and cause you to just settle by making you comfortable with the benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People are nice to work with, pleasant, and sort of helpful. Benefits are great and retirement plan is good. If you want to work it is sort of stable.

Cons

Attendance policy, No sick pay seperately PTO used for everything, Low salaries offered comparable to market for similar jobs aimed on performance based commissions, Overtime needed to make ends meet because the base salaries are way low compared to other large cable and broadband companies. Lateral movement within the company is often the only way to get ahead if those jobs aren't already lined up for friends too.

Advice to Management

You are not allowing much growth opportunity for people that have obtained degrees. You might have helped pay the way but you have not paved the way. You promote from within but already have jobs lined up for friends. People that you know is awarded positions rather than people who have worked hard and have the educational background and skillset. Women minorities within the workforce are promoted 10x more than male minorities. This doesn't satisfy all demographics unfortunately and technically this doesn't mean that you promote diversity as you say.

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Cox has excellent pay and benefits.

Cons

Most senior leadership roles require relocation to Atlanta.

4. "the Beneifits though..!"

Former Employee - Tier I Tech Support in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Tier I Tech Support in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Cox Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Benefits. their health care is more than affordable, and was very easy to use.
    And do not even get me started on the extreme discount they put on your cable and internet bill! Ever wanted every channel but couldn't afford it? Well you can while working for them!

2. Pay is comparable to the work you do. As an entry level call center position you make good money and the added commission money is nice too.

3. Management will help you improve if you are struggling. They spend a lot of time training and monitoring their staff and if you want help improving they will help get you there, depending on your manager of course.

Cons

1. Schedules.. work life balance can be a struggle because the schedule changes every 6 months and unless you are a top performer you get stuck with some weird shifts. there are 4 day work weeks and 5 day work weeks but you have to be one of the best and have the tenure under your belt to make sure you get what you want.

4. The customers are not nice. you will get yelled at and cussed at so its best to have tough skin. I was tech support and no one is happy when they call the cable company nor are they understanding that you are trying to help them.

5. "The best company I ever work for."

Current Employee - Trainer in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Trainer in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you are ambitious you can go to another department in a year. You never stop learning. I learn something new everyday which is an asset to my career.

Cons

If you are looking for a company to pull you along you will stay stuck in an entry level position.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the surveys. Every year the company gets better and better.

6. "Best company!"

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits
    Management
    Atmosphere
    Employee Engagement
    Overall, the company strives to keep employees happy

Cons

Only issue I have is with my shift but there are shift bids every 3-6 months

7. "Real Talk"

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good PTO and medical benefits

Cons

This is not a technical support job. This is customer service. They require you to sell, customer service, and learn bits about the whole company. They will not tell the truth in the interview.

Advice to Management

Split up the experienced teams and new teams so the new teams can have help.

"Okay Company"

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great PTO and benefits! Overall a great company to work with. Long interview but includes a tour, face-to-face interview as well as mock phone call with a prep sheet before hand. Fresh popcorn daily with occasional nacho days along with fresh fruit and snacks depending on the day and occasion.

Cons

Technical Support is more focused on SALES than troubleshooting! You can get fired for no sales often. They do let you know upfront you will have to sell something but not share that's where the main focus is. Strict schedule may be hard to work around.

9. "tier two technician"

Current Employee - Net Sec in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Net Sec in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pension, they have a great pension plan. Its really the only reason to work in this hell whole. The problem is they got rid of it for new employees.

Cons

Where do i start. The pay is sub-par. Supervisors micromanage everything you do. The company went down hill every since they did the downsizing of the company.

Advice to Management

Your horrible just quit what you do.

"Broken promises!!!"

Former Employee - Tech Support in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Tech Support in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Cox Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meeting new people the pay is good has a cafeteria and store on site

Cons

Training is all over the place, having to sell to customers when their already calling about issues with the services they already have, was not ever told during interview this was a 24 hr call center, benefits not that good at all compared to other companies didn't learn how to key orders until the end of training, coaches are some timing except one!!! Training cut short and we was put on the floor because they was short on the floor when most of us still had no ideas what we was really doing!

Advice to Management

Restructure the training process far as having material laid out better stop string to cram information in so quick and expect for the workers to understand when everyday your on a different topic for the first 6 weeks!!! Need to start keying orders in the beginning of training and not waiting til Rev Up start!!! Over all my experience was not good far as the company new hire hours suck we get the left over shifts!!! Last thing need to keep the call center cleaner and stop lying to the employees about the bed bugs!!!

Showing 75 of 1,847 reviews