Cox Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

1,594 Employee Reviews

1. "Broken promises!!!"

Former Employee - Tech Support in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Tech Support in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Cox Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meeting new people the pay is good has a cafeteria and store on site

Cons

Training is all over the place, having to sell to customers when their already calling about issues with the services they already have, was not ever told during interview this was a 24 hr call center, benefits not that good at all compared to other companies didn't learn how to key orders until the end of training, coaches are some timing except one!!! Training cut short and we was put on the floor because they was short on the floor when most of us still had no ideas what we was really doing!

Advice to Management

Restructure the training process far as having material laid out better stop string to cram information in so quick and expect for the workers to understand when everyday your on a different topic for the first 6 weeks!!! Need to start keying orders in the beginning of training and not waiting til Rev Up start!!! Over all my experience was not good far as the company new hire hours suck we get the left over shifts!!! Last thing need to keep the call center cleaner and stop lying to the employees about the bed bugs!!!

2. "Instructional Designer"

Current Employee - Senior Instructional Designer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Instructional Designer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cox Communications (More than a year)

Pros

Great campus and friendly staff.

Cons

The TMD organization supporting Cox Communications is the worst to work for. If your a contractor you are treated as second class and they do not have the internal customers best interest in decision making. I don't believe anyone in upper management has a career in training and the current front line managers are out of touch with the current market place. Too bad because the internal customer are great to work for but the process and lack of understanding from this management is becoming this groups downfall. A mass exit of a wealth of talent in instructional design is waling out the door because they refuse to listen.

Advice to Management

VP needs to have a meeting once an a while and listen to the contractors who actually do the work with the front line manager removed. Honest feedback may not be what you want to hear but if you want to save this group and know what is really going on that is your only choice.

3. "Love My Job!"

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere great people all great!

Cons

Shift selection process needs work

4. "overall good company"

Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

they actually seem to care about you.....somewhat

Cons

the people who make the decisions dont have anyone in the room that is directly affected by those decisions to explain why the ideas may/may not work

Advice to Management

have actual employees in room with management at some meetings

"Sales Rep, business services"

Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Cox Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Make good money if willing to work hard, good benefits, and tuition assistance. Medical insurance and 401K. Pleasant atmosphere.

Cons

Although the pros are all good, you always have to worry about being downsized. During the 11 years I was there, they pretty much laid off all their local staff. And that goes for Managers also. Not very much security. Then the nit picking at your performance starts.

Advice to Management

Have a heart, think about your loyal representatives, and work with them on being successful instead of dismissing them and spending a third less to get someone new.

6. "Mixed Review"

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits
    Other companies within Cox Enterprises throughout the US with opportunities
    Gym on site
    Nice people for the most part
    Corporate does listen to concerns but critical issuesnot always addressed.
    Work from home

Cons

1. Little emphasis on training past New Hire Training to improve existing employees' technical knowledge.
    2. More emphasis on sales capability than technical comprehension so issues are resolved the 1st time addressed.
    3. Management poorly handles weather emergencies causing employees to be stuck at work overnight w/o medications, etc. Also, employee vehicles damaged & totaled from parking lot flooding. Employees involved in accidents trying to make it to/from work in unsafe weather conditions b/c management trying to keep the call center open despite other centers open to handle calls. If you call out due to conditions, your attendance is docked and some even risk being written up. Mgmt works hard after the fact to do what's right within their ability, but poor prep and looking out for employees until too late.
    Poor communication about service issues from the very top down.
    Inconsistent communication across departments and call centers.
    System tools often unstable.
    You'll be doing mandatory OT while others in your department got to skip their mandatory OT and go home from their shift early!!!
    There's no Mentor Program to actively encourage career advancement.
    Your stats are really impacted by customer surveys. You can handle calls great but customers are furious about their issues leading up to you then YOU get scored negatively while the customer raves about you specifically in comments (in addition to their frustration with Cox). In the end...score matters, not the positive comments so you're screwed.

Advice to Management

Protect your employees' welfare with inevitable mjr storms BEFORE things happen or get out of hand!

Retrain your reps who struggle or replace with competent people.

Test new services/tools out more in a testing environment before rolling out with many issues.

7. "warehouse worker"

Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Cox Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the hours, off days, breaks, lunch breaks,over time, deliver to the cable stores.

Cons

no benefits for temp worker

"COX"

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Cox Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work Conditions, benefits, Hours, employees

Cons

Sales quota in the Technical support department should be removed and left to sales dept

9. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Retention Representative in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Retention Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of new technology. Flexible schedule. Room for growth

Cons

Base pay could be increased.

"Beware"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

Not sure at this point, maybe benefits

Cons

Ok I have worked for Cox'so through a temp agency and don't get me wrong I like working there at that time years ago but now I wouldn't work for them if my life depended on it. I have a good friend that actually was employeed full-time at the Cox Call center here in Oklahoma City and they fired her during her time of bereavement of her dad passing away on top of that she got approved for fmla and her bereavement days, so they sure the hell couldn't fire her because she was a no call no show. My friend was a top sellers, good work ethics, never had any unexcussed tardiness or days off since she worked there! How dare Cox fired someone like that all I can say is seems like to me whoever her manager was don't care about his/her employees and it's not like she just started working there as far as I know she had worked for cox for 6 years or more. To put the icing on the cake when she called from sitting at the hospital with her dad and her and her family was told he only had a couple of weeks two live she called cox in the amounted time to let them know she would not be in that particular day and the damn manager was like "so you not coming in" like really she told them her father was dying and all they were like is worried about if she was coming in, no concern, sympathy, nothing. So if you do decide to work for cox realize some of those managers don't care about you. your mom or father could be on they death bed and they still will fire you before your loved one is in the ground good!

Advice to Management

Get managers that care

Showing 1,594 of 1,682 reviews