Cover image for Cox Communications

Mark Greatrex

What people are saying about Cox Communications

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about Cox Communications? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Cox Communications employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Cox offers great benefits and is the big player in the region where I worked.(in 611 reviews)
  • "My pay is good and I have been recognized for my contributions with additional responsibility.(in 266 reviews)
  • "I was also able to hire many great people which made it a fantastic place to work.(in 187 reviews)
  • "Great Culture and diversity(in 114 reviews)
  • "Good work life balance in the company(in 86 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Cox Communications and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Featured Review

Great company to build a career!

Oct 1, 2022 - Telecommunications Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Before I worked at COX I just had jobs, when I started here I began my career. Leadership in the company believes in developing their team members and helping them achieve their career and personal goals. It's a large organization with lots of different career trajectories. The company does its best to balance out the needs of the customer, the employee and the company. I have not encountered anyone who regrets their decision to join COX, and many who regret their decision to leave.

Cons

The biggest issue within the company is communication between departments. This is an ever changing industry and small changes in one corner of the company can impact many other areas and much of this goes uncommunicated or if communicated not done in a way that can be easily referenced later.

1 person found this review helpful

Employment Branding Specialist

Thank you for your review! Empowering employees to advance in their careers is very important to us and we love hearing that you feel the same way too. We appreciate your honest feedback on our communication, and hopefully you will continue to see that improve. Thanks for your commitment to building a better future. Keep up the great work!

2. 5.0

Work at cox

Jan 12, 2023 - Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits for health and work life balance.

Cons

Hard to interview for a new role

3. Join the Cox Communications team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Diversified and Independent Company in Business for 125+ Years

Jan 27, 2023 - Business Account Manager in New Orleans, LA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Above average starting salaries, overall benefits and training in 90th percentile of all companies, diversified and inclusive corporate culture pervasive. Account growth in SMB sector for cloud based service offerings.

Cons

Commission plan recently changed EOY 2022 with Net New Revenue Quotas and charge back policies adversely effecting YOY monthly commissions. No leniency for charge backs ( i.e. - no consideration for legacy sales involvement) within NEW sales modules assigned to NEW B2B sales roles effective EOY 2022. Late to market for Enterprise cloud based service offerings.

5. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Your experience depends on your leader

Jan 28, 2023 - Director, Product Management in Atlanta, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Cox has a culture of caring for its employees and taking commitments to them seriously. As a result, even if you have a bad leader you are pretty well protected from being fired without clear performance reasons.

Cons

If you have a poor leader, your leader probably isn’t going anywhere. Leadership doesn’t change and it seems to be difficult for higher up leadership to spot the bad apples. You can try to find a role in a different business unit, or you can leave.

1 person found this review helpful

Employment Branding Specialist

Thank you for providing your review. We know that having a good relationship with your manager is very important, so it's disappointing to hear that you didn't have that at Cox. We really appreciate you sharing your thoughts so we can do better. We will absolutely pass your feedback along to our internal teams. We appreciate your time at Cox and the time you took to write this review.

6. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great Company

Feb 2, 2023 - Service Assurance Specialist II in Phoenix, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits, culture, training and PTO

Cons

I really enjoyed working there and had no issues.

7. 5.0

Employee-focused

Jan 26, 2023 - Vice President
    Business Outlook

Pros

Cox has an ethos of caring about its people that comes from the founder of the company, James M. Cox. People care about one another, and while politics exist in every organization, at Cox, jerk-like behavior isn't tolerated for long.

Cons

It's very large and it can be slow to make decisions.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Large Corporation, Yet Employees Still Valued Like Family Members

Sep 21, 2022 - Media Consultant in Baton Rouge, LA
    Business Outlook

Pros

This company is wonderful! Cox is truly doing corporate life the right way. I have not found a negative or unfair thing to say about the company. Employees are encouraged to maintain a healthy work / family life balance and provided resources in which to make that come to fruition. We are championed, cheered, acknowldged and supported immensely to succeed yet not micro-managed and made to feel untrustworthy as micro-managing does to a person. Cox recognizes we all need to play a role in giving back to the communities we call home. Cox has a volunteer incentive program in place to help us do that so we all do our part to give back and convey gratitude to those we call neighbors. It is refreshing to see how many women are in executive and management positions. I love that a different point of view or idea is not only encouraged but highly expected of all of us to say regardless of job title or rank.

Cons

You will love your job too much and never want to leave!!!

9. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

It's not what it used to be.

Jan 24, 2023 - OSP Technician in Atlanta, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The Benefis, cheap internet service.

Cons

pay, leadership beyond supervisor, Good Ole' boy system is thriving there. The metrics are unreasonable. They say they care about their employees but it's all about the numbers for them.

10. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Great

Jan 23, 2023 - Sales Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits,pay and the people are the pros.

Cons

I think the managers/team leaders can be a con with not being to supportive.

11. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Zero Reciprocated Loyalty

Nov 6, 2022 - Director, Customer Support in Atlanta, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people on the teams you work with will make it worth your while. They are for the most part interested in helping everyone be successful. It is actually the leadership you have to be fearful over not the rank and file or middle managers.

Cons

The other directors and just about eveyone above is just like every callous power hungry executive at every other big corporation. Cox pretends that it is a family business and that everyone working here is a family. But the VP's give heartless orders to drive the people harder and anyone who doesn't fall in line get's targeted to be disciplined. More of work is being moved off shore so there really is no dedication to the employees or the communities. Its all a lie to keep the plebs in line. The shift has been in the last year since the new CEO was announced. Its like everyone in leadership has thrown empathy and intellegence out of the window, then replaced it with an animalistic urge to be cruel and ensure their own survival at the same time.

3 people found this review helpful

Employment Branding Specialist

Thanks for your feedback. Our leaders are advocates for a better tomorrow, and we're sad to hear that you don't see it that way. However, we do appreciate your review and will be sure to share it with our leaders. We're always striving to be better, and your feedback is a vital part of that. Best wishes to you in your career journey.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 3,325 Reviews
</>Embed

Cox Communications Reviews FAQs

Cox Communications has an overall rating of 4.0 out of 5, based on over 3,586 reviews left anonymously by employees. 76% of employees would recommend working at Cox Communications to a friend and 70% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -2% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Cox Communications employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.1 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Cox Communications. This rating has decreased by -4% over the last 12 months.

76% of Cox Communications employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Cox Communications 3.9 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.0 for culture and values and 3.8 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Cox Communications to be culture, career development, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership, management.

Popular Careers with Cox Communications Job Seekers