Cox Enterprises Reviews in Atlanta, GA | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Cox Enterprises President & CEO John M. Dyer
John M. Dyer

Pros
  • Work/life balance is pretty good (in 19 reviews)

• Flex time - great benefits - great people (in 14 reviews)

1. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Flexible hours
    Laid back environment
    Nice campus
    Nice gym
    Work life balance

Cons

You have to be self motivated

"Talent Management"

Current Employee - TA Management in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - TA Management in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cox Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generous PTO until the changes for 2017 that will include elimination of the pension program.

Cons

Recent changes to the TA structure has been a disaster. Elimination of the pipeline management team without assessment of the candidate management skill level is something that HR professionals should have taken into consideration. You can't teach something that takes a period of time to acquire like sourcing skills. Sourcing is an art that is developed over time. Many people that remain do not possess this skill and hiring managers will feel this crunch.

Advice to Management

Work to get it right Mr. V.P. Your TA Managers are clueless.

3. "TA is a mess"

Current Contractor - Talent Acquisition in Atlanta, GA
    Current Contractor - Talent Acquisition in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cox Enterprises as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Good teams, very supportive of each other. Large company with many roles to fill.

Cons

High turn over, you are only as good as the relationship you have with those at corporate. If you are remote, good luck getting converted to FTE let alone ever being recognized. They can not decide what they are doing, Full Cycle, Shared Services, combo of both. Such a confused organizations and the hiring managers feel the pain.

Advice to Management

Get it together and appreciate everyone. Simple solution

5. "Nice Place to Work But Upper Management Avoids ALL CONFLICT!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Cox Enterprises full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people are extremely friendly, work/life balance seems to be a plus, the facilities are beautiful, everything you need (gym, cafeteria, company store, ATM, bank, etc.) is readily available.

Cons

The downside of working here is nothing seems to get accomplished and everything moves at a very slow pace. I would get so frustrated because people simply weren't doing their jobs and making a difference. Whenever there is a clear trouble-maker or someone not pulling their weight, they're allowed to get away with it because this place is so conflict-avoidance! It seems like no one is ever reprimanded or given any type of correction. I had several occasions where I had "problem" employees or I encountered a conflict but whenever this was escalated to upper management, I was given the same old story: "Is there something you're doing wrong or something you could change about your management style? Or, maybe this isn't so bad? I don't think we should fight this battle." Sometimes a reprimand is necessary to keep a fair playing field and sometimes conflict can't be avoided. Upper management seems terrified to "rock the boat" or call attention to any issues. Also, the performance review system is a joke. It's a 1 to 5 point scale but NO ONE can ever receive a 5 and you're limited to the amount of 4s that can be given and mgmt is too afraid to hand out a 1 or a 2. A while back I was ready to give an employee a level 2 rating; however, my immediate manager forced me to increase the score to a level 3 because he/she didn't want our department to look bad. So, basically everyone is a 3 and you're told "that's a great score." A system like this doesn't work if you're limited and there's a fear in using it. Not a lot of room for advancement so be prepared to sit in your job for a long time. This could be a good thing if you're a person who is very complacent; this company seems to thrive on that factor. And finally, the traffic situation around the campus is terrible and only going to get worse. If you don't leave by 4:00 p.m. you're in store for a terrible commute and it doesn't matter where you live because the snarl is directly around the campus.

Advice to Management

Stop being so passive and take a stand on bad behavior or non-performers. The culture there seems to enable those employees who take pleasure in walking all over other employees; they know management will do nothing to stop them. Therefore, if you're a bit of a bully then you'll probably go far in this company.

Feb 1, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We rely on this feedback to continue to improve our people practices.

6. "IT Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cox Enterprises full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, Great Culture, Nice Campus,

Cons

Political, Underpaid, Poor director in group

7. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cox Enterprises full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Cox is a wonderful environment and excellent benefits for employees. They truly care about the employees and treat them accordingly.

Cons

Feels at times too "corporate" and challenging to get quick decisions. Matrix organization can be very frustrating as well.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your employees. Consider more centralization to gain efficiency and reduce duplicative (and costly) work.

Dec 20, 2016

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad that you enjoy working for the company overall and encourage you to speak with your manager about concerns with the decision making process.

8. "Client Support Analyst"

Current Employee - Client Support Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Client Support Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cox Enterprises (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful company one of the best!

Cons

There is nothing to say because working for this company should be a privilege for anyone.

"Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Operations Lead in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Operations Lead in Atlanta, GA

Pros

This is a company that promotes an atmosphere that inspires the will and expectation for all employees to do the best of what they do!

Cons

Age discrimination + lack of appreciation of seasoned workers.

Advice to Management

Delete all online application fields that ask for year of birth; create an appreciation for experience.

10. "Project Manager - Technical Operations"

Current Employee - Project Manager I in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Project Manager I in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Cox Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work/Life balance is important within the company where it is easy to manage working for COX. A pension, 401K and Health Benefits are provided with the company which makes it worth working for as well

Cons

Atlanta traffic to get to work. Cost of living can be expensive and opportunity for good schools is at risk if you prefer to live closer to the office.

Oct 17, 2016

Thank you for your review. We are glad that you are enjoying working with us!

11. "Distributor"

Former Employee - Distributor in Lawrenceville, GA
    Former Employee - Distributor in Lawrenceville, GA

I worked at Cox Enterprises part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They offered great pay for really simple work.

Cons

Big company so management was not managed very well. Policies were not upheld as they should have been.