Cox Media Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Cox Media Group President Kim Guthrie
Kim Guthrie

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits include low premium for health insurance; 401k company match and a pension (may not be available to new employees as of 2017) (in 44 reviews)

• good benefits, good pay, no HR (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Constant threat of job cuts messes up work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Also, upper management claims to have an open door policy, but, they don't (in 15 reviews)

1. "Amazing culture - great people"

I worked at Cox Media Group full-time

Pros

They value their employees and culture much more than most companies I've worked at - the human interaction is very important to them.

Cons

Sometimes that focus on culture can be too much... they can make decisions by consensus and also be slow to terminate people that are mediocre

Advice to Management

The pension system encourages people to stick around as long as they can. This can make them risk adverse and also make them scared to own decisions. It seemed like big decisions always happened by a lot of people around a table in a closed room... almost so that nobody would have to "own" it in case it was a bad decision. This isn't the best setup for a nimble, agile organization.

2. "Videographer"

Current Employee - Video Editor
    Current Employee - Video Editor

I have been working at Cox Media Group part-time

Pros

Great learning envoirnment and coworkers

Cons

Can be a bit unorganized at times

"Mostly Positive"

Current Employee - Remote Coordinator in Athens, GA
    Current Employee - Remote Coordinator in Athens, GA

I have been working at Cox Media Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff, fun work environment, great college job

Cons

Not much opportunity for growth or advancement

"Used to be top-notch"

Current Employee - Copy Editor
    Current Employee - Copy Editor

I have been working at Cox Media Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Better-than-average benefits, decent pay. Generally a mature, professional workplace atmosphere. Newspapers were top-notch until the industry went into the tank. Company is cutting jobs just like everyone else with a heavy newspaper presence, but the process seems a bit more humane than at other newspaper companies such as Gannett and Tronc.

Cons

Newspaper business is circling the drain in readership, quality and profitability. Assets are for sale and jobs are being eliminated. The company seems stuck between two unsound competing philosophies -- "This is the way we've always done it" vs. "Let's throw new ideas against the wall and see if they stick." In layoff situations, some of the decisions regarding who stays/goes are head-scratchers. Dealing with IT is aggravating -- tell them you're on deadline and there's a problem that needs immediate attention, and more often than not the response is, "We'll write up a ticket and it will be dealt with in a day or two." Constant threat of job cuts messes up work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Problematic because of industry trends, but identify bright, motivated people at the newspapers who can be trained for other positions in the company as the print business slowly dies.

5. "Just hope you aren’t in operations or technology"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cox Media Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It all depends on your team - there are pockets of great innovation supported by Cox’s extensive resources. In general, people are passionate about being part of media. Cox has very good benefits (although they are being whittled down every year and are no longer as top notch as they once were.). There are some great people.

Cons

The top tier of CMG has been through a bunch of ham-fisted reorganization and is now run by ad salespeople and finance people who are desperately trying to figure out how to compete in the face of massive change. Clear strategies are in short supply and mostly we seem to restructure and add at the top. The erratic priorities and general contempt for detail means that if you are in a technical or operational role - life is hell. Turnover is a problem in key roles that get things done (IT, developers, project managers, etc). There are still significant pockets where good teams do good work but there are no guarantees at CMG. You are always one reorg away from total chaos.

Advice to Management

Despite all the reorganization and change, CMG has not declared strategic priorities to serve audiences better and drive value that leads to revenue. We just shuffle the chairs with “integration” and realigning but not much about better products and services. There is contempt for operations and front line employees - like people who think about how to actually get things done are a barrier. This culture is deep and corrosive, If we want to succeed we need to stop having fantasies masquerade as strategy. We need to set a small number of real goals that mean something and then do the hard work to really set up our processes, systems and people to deliver. And stop the insane PR machine about the executives and reorg - all the exec headshots and looping video clips of execs congratulating each other is ridiculous.

"Copy editor"

Current Employee - Copy Editor/Page Designer in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Copy Editor/Page Designer in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Cox Media Group part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay, bonus, 401k even for parttimers

Cons

Work being phased out. Not many benefits for parttimers.

Advice to Management

Don't tell people three days before Christmas you will lose your job although you knew it was a possibility.

7. "Excellent people, excellent products!"

I have been working at Cox Media Group full-time

Pros

Many people at Cox have been with the company for 20- 30 years. It is comforting to know you can build a lifelong, successful and fulfilling career with this company.

Cons

As with every company, some people who have been employed for a long time are a bit resistant to change at times. But senior management is all about being progressive and adapting with the industry!

8. "Good People, Declining Industry"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Cox Media Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Cox used to be among the finest companies to work for before the recession maimed the industry so badly. The benefits were excellent. The pay is good, but not great.
    Insurance, etc. was very good (costs rise like everywhere else).
    The management was generally responsive in the past.
    Generally exceptional individuals of good character throughout the company top to bottom.
    They've tended to be kind of straightforward with general company news.
    I'd heartily recommend if it wasn't for the state of the industry.

Cons

The company is hurting and laying off. They're selling assets and changing their business models. Don't expect this to be a long-term position. It can be, but it's best to keep your eyes open for other opportunities.
    They've tended to be kind of tight-lipped with specific company news and direction.

Advice to Management

I don't think they need my input. They're doing what they can. Communicate and level with your people.

9. "Great performance management and total compensation"

I have been working at Cox Media Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

CMG performance management features annual goal setting with a manager, regular check-ins and evaluation. I found this to be a helpful approach in keeping employees and managers aligned on expectations and reducing micro-management.

Great benefits include low premium for health insurance; 401k company match and a pension (may not be available to new employees as of 2017).

Cons

Salary not competitive to industry standards.

10. "Great Company to work for!"

I have been working at Cox Media Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love the people and company.

Cons

so far, nothing that I would consider a con.