Cox Media Group Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Cox Media Group President Kim Guthrie
Kim Guthrie

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits and great private company to work for (in 25 reviews)

• Cox offers great benefits, amazing employee perks and a great work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no room for growth for finance folks (in 7 reviews)

• The upper management is very out of touch with how to not only run the company but also how to truly value their employees (in 11 reviews)

"Atrocious hiring process"

Former Employee - Street Team Member in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Street Team Member in Dayton, OH

I worked at Cox Media Group part-time

Pros

The building was beautiful and modern. That was about it.

Cons

Never experienced working here because my application process was mishandled. The manager hiring me resigned and handed me off to a woman that did not respond to any emails for 3 weeks. In this time, supposedly the third party hiring agency had rejected my application. The system stated they had contacted me, but they had not. After 11 emails were sent to the managers, recruitment team, and third party agency, I finally received a response stating that they could not hiring because of timing. If I could provide negative star feedback, I would. Terrible company and communication.

Advice to Management

Get the HR and recruitment department together. There was no information shared whatsoever. Communication was horrific. Overwhelmingly disappointed that I could have applied and been accepted for another internship this summer, yet I wasted my time here.

2. "Street Team Member"

Former Contractor - Contractor in Dayton, OH
    Former Contractor - Contractor in Dayton, OH

I worked at Cox Media Group as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

none that I have seen

Cons

gotten word from others they discriminate against disabled stars, talent, models, military etc.....show your stripes my butt

Advice to Management

Fire and rehire all Dayton, OHIO staff they are really bad and they send out emails that are very rude and offput. Some don't put their name. They don't give any reason or try and hire military families or those who have major influence in the entertainment industry which is not smart. They are lazy and the online application is tech errors.

"Think twice when applying for a job with this company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Cox Media Group full-time

Pros

Decent benefit compare to other companies. Liked the creative environment I worked in.

Cons

Unethical practice in the hiring practice, bait and switch with the job offer, applied and interviewed for a job in Ideabar and offered for a lower level position. Lack of job security, people were letting go of on a consistent basis.

While it is great to promote within, at what cost to the company? It is not uncommon that incompetent employee lacking the essential skills were promoted to fill key roles that would be vital to the company's long term success.

Advice to Management

Integrity goes a long way within and without. This is supposed to be a top value of the company, try to live up to it by example.

4. "Local Sales Manager"

I worked at Cox Media Group full-time

Pros

Salaries repaid on time.

Cons

Constant change. Reorganizing departments, Directors, Managers every few months. Massage employee turnover. Low salaries.

Advice to Management

Hire people that have relationships in their city. Develop an on-boarding process.

5. "Review"

I worked at Cox Media Group part-time

Pros

Very interesting job, learned many new things

Cons

Irregular hours, no benefits, rarely given requested leave

Advice to Management

Value your employees

"The good, the bad and the ugly"

Pros

This is the #1 media company in the Dayton market. Casual work environment. Good benefits package with a pension that you are vested in after 5 years. Flexible work options available to most employees...work from home, flex time, etc.

Cons

The company says that they care about their employees; however, this is not the case. The company is downsizing a lot of departments and handling it extremely poorly. Employees are told that their department is being eliminated but given no other information for over a month. Questions are not answered, even in meetings specifically scheduled to answer questions about the downsize. The HR rep was unable to answer very basic severance questions.

Was also very unimpressed with the ability to move up within the company. Applied for several promotions; many of which I was over qualified for, only to be turned down. Was never given feedback as to why I didn't get the job; even though I asked for it.

Overall, I would not recommend anyone work here. The upper management is very out of touch with how to not only run the company but also how to truly value their employees. They are treated as commodities or liabilities, not people with children, mortgage payments, etc.

Advice to Management

Clean house of upper management throughout the company. Start practicing what you preach about your employees being your #1 resource. Have answers for your employees when you tell them they are losing their jobs.

"Don't bother"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Cox Media Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the employees are excellent to work with

Cons

Management is a sham. VP's and Upper Management care more about making their year end bonus than they do about their employees. Raises are minimal, 1-2% per year if you are lucky. A particular VP would have her "favorites" and the rest of the staff was treated poorly. As downsizing occurred, employees were expected to do the job of 3-4 people without being given any renumeration.

Advice to Management

Learn to care about your employees more than your bonus. Employees that feel appreciated will work harder.

"Packaging Dept (Part time)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Franklin, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Franklin, OH

Pros

You have a job (very low pay $9 an hour long work week 3 days a week 10 hour days).

Cons

Point System. If there is a death in your family (point). If your sick (point). If your 1-5 minutes late to a meeting, clocking in, break, lunch guess what you just earned another point. There are liars in management that tell you one thing, but do another. Management is constantly watching over you while your on the line standing very closely to you it's very annoying. They have absolutely No benefits for part time employees what so ever and only offer part time work. Its really Not a good place to work. This job is really for someone without education, but even if you have NO EDUCATION you still deserve to be treated better then how this employer treats it's employees. They don't treat their employees good at all, and they wonder why their turnover rate is so high to the point that they have to keep constantly hiring more people. You are constantly standing on your feet. you can not sit down. You will get wrote up fast and lose points. In my opinion I do not recommend this employer. They don't value their employees at all. The people at the top are making the most money not having to worry about losing points for coming to work 1-5 mins late, death in their family, being sick, or low pay. While the people at the bottom do their grunt work; get treated like animals and can hardly survive off of this job and have no good benefits. No rewards or recognition for employees. No incentives. They offer things through travel but it Mostly involves sports. News flash not every employee likes sports. Why not offer good stuff like discounts on hotels, car rentals from numerous companies, airplane tickets from numerous companies, theme parks, Disney, Cruises, Universal Studios, Great wolf Lodge, etc... I mean real vacations for employees to take all the members of their families. AND LASTLY WE NEED TO BE ABLE TO USE THE REST ROOM WITHOUT HAVING TO WAIT ON SOMEONE ELSE TO COME AND RELIEVE US....LET US GO TO THE BATHROOM ON OUR OWN WE ARE NOT ANIMALS HERE WE ARE HUMAN BEINGS!!!

Advice to Management

You forgot how it was to be at the bottom of the totem poll. Yes because some of you have never been there. Instead of merging more companies together trying to make the existing company bigger. Start offering bigger and better things to your employees that would make them want to stay. And if someone wants to go back to school let them do so and stop trying to make it so hard for them to go back to school and further their education by refusing to pay for their schooling. Start including all of your employees in on top notch benefits packages both part time and full time. Bottom line treat all of your employees better and more fairly because you have certainly lost the mark on this one. Treat your employees how you would want someone to treat you. The way you currently treat your employees is inhumane. We are not animals!!! There is value in all of us employees at the bottom of the totem poll. If you were treated as badly as the way that you treat us your employees at the bottom; then I'm sure that you would run as fast as you could to another employer that valued and respected you as both a human being and an employee. SHAME ON YOU! SHAME ON YOU! SHAME ON YOU!!! HOW DO YOU SLEEP WITH YOURSELF AT NIGHT GOING HOME TO YOUR LAVISH LIFE BUT TREAT PEOPLE ON THE BOTTOM LIKE CRAP SO POORLY AND BOTH INHUMANE. SHAME ON YOU MAY GOD PUNISH YOU!!!

"Not a good career path"

Former Employee - SEM Account Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - SEM Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Cox Media Group (More than a year)

Pros

WFH day, free coffee, team events and free lunch once in a while, flex hours. some great people.

Cons

Unprofessional in any way and mean. Managers know nothing about SEM and will not provide proper training and support. No reviews and no feedback given. Hostile work environment at times. Managers are bi-polar and unpredictable! They make you feel like you are a loser and unworthy. Negative attitude and low morale. The good talented people leave and move on to advance somewhere else. The atmosphere is gossipy and unprofessional. management can't follow up with their own decisions and changes procedures and rules on a weekly basis while creating unnecessary stress.
    Old technology platforms are used, processes are slow and ridiculous. The management is lazy and only concerned with their own privileges and private life, promoting their "own people" while ignoring good talent. If you are entry level, it's a good place to start and put on your resume if you can tolerate all of this. If you are a search professional and want to develop a career path, CMG is a bad bad decision!

Advice to Management

Maybe you should start working for a change and stop staring at your Facebook account all day.

"Throw in the towel!"

Former Employee - Reporter in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Reporter in Dayton, OH

I worked at Cox Media Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefit package is good. That's pretty much it in an industry where you have to do more with less.
    If you are just getting your "feet wet," great place to start off because they will make you do A LOT and you can get experience, but take as that ... experience.

Cons

Pay sucks. More management than reporters who continue to change their minds every other week about the company goals. HR? Hypocrites. Leadership? Hypocrites. Good ole boy club. A lot of Yes people who do not think for themselves and are scared to lose their job. Dead Man Walking syndrome is rampant!

Advice to Management

Get out of the publishing business. Stop acting like you have the answers when you don't. You missed the ball 20 years ago by not accepting the Internet, now all of your loyal customers are dying and you still have no clue! Just give up and focus on television and others forms of revenue to generate income!