Coyne Public Relations Reviews | Glassdoor

Coyne Public Relations Reviews

Updated Apr 26, 2019

3.7
Coyne Public Relations CEO Thomas F. Coyne (no image)
Thomas F. Coyne
Pros
  • "Great work/life balance, especially compared to other agencies I've worked for(in 8 reviews)

• "The agency is growing, great clients and really cool people(in 6 reviews)

1. "Great agency"

Current Employee - Social Media Coordinator in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Coyne Public Relations full-time for more than a year

Pros

Unlimited PTO, sick days, flexibility to work from home, fun company events

Cons

There's really not much to complain about, Coyne is a great company

Coyne Public Relations2019-04-26
  2. "Best place to work, indeed."

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Coyne Public Relations full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Since joining the firm at the account executive level, leadership has already strived to do the right thing by its employees, inspire people, create opportunities and encourage professional and personal growth. It's a fun environment, the people are great. Tremendous amount of autonomy, and a very clear purpose. Benefits are outstanding. Great work/life balance, especially compared to other agencies I've worked... for. End of the day, I feel valued, that my opinion has always mattered, and that they are looking out for me.

Cons

Not really sure. Perhaps more green tea?

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. I trust in the effort and the approach to keep it as the best place to work.

Coyne Public Relations2019-02-21

"Started Out Great, Didn't End Like That."

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at Coyne Public Relations full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The office is large, there are good benefits and a competitive salary.

Cons

It was only after transitioning to a new company that I learned how truly toxic this environment was. Growth was limited to if a manager liked you and various members of the executive staff did not showcase fair treatment.

Advice to Management

Work on the training programs so managers are taught to lift their team members up, not tear them down.

Coyne Public Relations2019-02-26

"Don't Be Fooled"

I worked at Coyne Public Relations full-time

Pros

A good intro to the PR industry, their NJ office has good perks for employees

Cons

Extremely toxic environment- basically a "Boy's Club" that operates off lack of principles and does not value hard working employees.

Coyne Public Relations2018-01-25

"So much favoritism, management says right things but if you don't like to drink your career growth is limited."

Former Employee - Public Relations in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at Coyne Public Relations full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A lot of the other people working there are great. You also get free meals, parties (if you like drinking at work), and the offices are really nice.

Cons

If managers decide they like you it is awesome. Otherwise people get treated very poorly. I was actually well-liked but others who worked really hard and did a good job were not treated fairly unless they liked to party and were social. Partying and keeping up with drinking was VERY important to success. Starting pay is low for entry-level positions, especially considering the hours.

Advice to Management

The whole, "Make it the best place to work so employees are happy and do a good job for clients", thing? It is a really great concept, but it isn't actually practiced by some managers or the HR department.

Coyne Public Relations2017-10-22

Coyne Public Relations Response

October 24, 2017SVP HR

Thank you for sharing your feedback. It is Coyne’s mission to be the best place to work. It’s not just rhetoric but reality. Our employees are always treated with dignity and respect. We strive to hold events that bring our employees together which allows them to mingle and relax with their coworkers. But there has never been an event where anyone has been shamed into drinking. We will continue to seek out any managers who do not comply with our mission but for the most part we think you are confusing competence with favoritism. The employees who appear to be "favored" are usually the top performing employees. We feel it's only fair to tell you the truth.

6. "Assistant Account Executive"

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Coyne Public Relations full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly environment, engaging work, devoted upper management, good work life balance

Cons

The pay could be a bit more competitive, would like to see a few more perks brought back since last summer.

Advice to Management

Trust in the junior staff to execute greatness and they will. Continue to promote the values that Tom Coyne instilled in you.

Coyne Public Relations2017-06-21

"Account Manager"

I worked at Coyne Public Relations full-time

Pros

Good employee perks and the office was a comfortable place to work Opportunity to telecommute

Cons

Ever since layoffs last year, management has been very quiet

Advice to Management

Be more open

Coyne Public Relations2017-06-12

"Was once a great place to work"

I have been working at Coyne Public Relations for more than 8 years

Pros

Great clients, creative thinking is fostered and there's room for advancement and growth. Paid time off is generous, good health benefits and offices have cool features that make for a fun environment.

Cons

For my first few years at Coyne I loved it. I enjoyed going to work and felt I was contributing to the company and recognized for it. The agency had a true work hard play hard mentality and they stood behind their "best place to work" claim. After the company had some financial troubles last year things went down hill fast and have never been the same. . Benefits were cut enormously and have yet to come back... and company culture has shifted drastically. Everyone walks on egg shells waiting for the next cut to be made and concerned for their job. We aren't reimbursed for our cell phones despite using them heavily for work purposes, no 401k match, no copay reimbursements (this was a big perk that set the agency apart from others), no more team lunches or company sponsored team bonding, maternity leave cut in half ... We were assured that if we stuck through the hard times we'd be rewarded - but then there were no end of year bonuses and the work day was extended by an hour. We did receive the week of the holidays off to make up for it, but most agencies offer that annually. Seems likely a person quits weekly, though the agency claims to have a 90+% retention rate. Salary is not competitive, but the benefits used to make up for it. The turnover is likely to continue if things don't improve soon.

Advice to Management

Get back to your roots - if you want to be the best place to work you have to offer things that other places don't. Break up the cliques especially those within senior management which are disheartening and toxic to the rest of the staff. It's time to stop the bleeding and go back to being a great place to work.

Coyne Public Relations2017-05-11

Coyne Public Relations Response

May 15, 2017SVP HR

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and concerns. We value our employees and anybody who has less than an amazing experience in our organization we want to understand why. Salaries are very competitive at Coyne. We ensure salary ranges by position are at market levels or better. Team building events are happening on a monthly basis. While the company does experience turnover our turnover rate is low and we believe that losing one employee is too much. Please reach out to the HR department to discuss your concerns. They will gladly address them.

"Unappreciated & Doing Meaningless Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Coyne Public Relations full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some executives are nice and approachable Drinking and eating events at work

Cons

Getting bullied and harassed happens all the time to me and my friends Constant rumors that we're going Bankrupt and the agency will be sold to the highest bidder any day We take on clients that just pay the bills, but we all hate our accounts Poor benefits that don't compare to other companies so I'm looking for another job Bad work-life balance - I was told to work through weekends and my boss sends me... early morning emails while she's on the treadmill

Advice to Management

I started at Coyne because I was told it was the best place in America to work for, but that couldn't be farther from the truth. I have no opportunity for advancement. My boss doesn't even make eye contact with me. I don't feel respected. We're all nervous about what new surprise lurks around the corner. Will more perks and benefits be slashed? It's scary. Senior Managment is horrible. Certain people don't care... about their team and treat them like they're replaceable. There's constant drama between senior managment with daily cat fights. It's so immature and unpleasant.

Coyne Public Relations2017-04-28
  10. "Senior Account Executive"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Coyne Public Relations full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

CEO, Culture, Commitment to employees

Cons

That I am on disability and unable to be a part of the amazing environment that Tom has created.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you have been doing. Best place to work!!!

Coyne Public Relations2017-02-21