Coyne Public Relations Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Thomas F. Coyne

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Assistant Account Executive"

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Coyne Public Relations full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment, engaging work, devoted upper management, good work life balance

Cons

The pay could be a bit more competitive, would like to see a few more perks brought back since last summer.

Advice to Management

Trust in the junior staff to execute greatness and they will. Continue to promote the values that Tom Coyne instilled in you.

2. "Account Manager"

I worked at Coyne Public Relations full-time

Pros

Good employee perks and the office was a comfortable place to work
    Opportunity to telecommute

Cons

Ever since layoffs last year, management has been very quiet

Advice to Management

Be more open

"Was once a great place to work"

I have been working at Coyne Public Relations (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great clients, creative thinking is fostered and there's room for advancement and growth. Paid time off is generous, good health benefits and offices have cool features that make for a fun environment.

Cons

For my first few years at Coyne I loved it. I enjoyed going to work and felt I was contributing to the company and recognized for it. The agency had a true work hard play hard mentality and they stood behind their "best place to work" claim.

After the company had some financial troubles last year things went down hill fast and have never been the same. . Benefits were cut enormously and have yet to come back and company culture has shifted drastically. Everyone walks on egg shells waiting for the next cut to be made and concerned for their job. We aren't reimbursed for our cell phones despite using them heavily for work purposes, no 401k match, no copay reimbursements (this was a big perk that set the agency apart from others), no more team lunches or company sponsored team bonding, maternity leave cut in half ... We were assured that if we stuck through the hard times we'd be rewarded - but then there were no end of year bonuses and the work day was extended by an hour. We did receive the week of the holidays off to make up for it, but most agencies offer that annually.

Seems likely a person quits weekly, though the agency claims to have a 90+% retention rate. Salary is not competitive, but the benefits used to make up for it. The turnover is likely to continue if things don't improve soon.

Advice to Management

Get back to your roots - if you want to be the best place to work you have to offer things that other places don't. Break up the cliques especially those within senior management which are disheartening and toxic to the rest of the staff. It's time to stop the bleeding and go back to being a great place to work.

Coyne Public Relations Response

May 15, 2017 – SVP HR

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and concerns. We value our employees and anybody who has less than an amazing experience in our organization we want to understand why. Salaries... More

"Unappreciated & Doing Meaningless Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Coyne Public Relations full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some executives are nice and approachable
    Drinking and eating events at work

Cons

Getting bullied and harassed happens all the time to me and my friends
    Constant rumors that we're going
    Bankrupt and the agency will be sold to the highest bidder any day
    We take on clients that just pay the bills, but we all hate our accounts
    Poor benefits that don't compare to other companies so I'm looking for another job
    Bad work-life balance - I was told to work through weekends and my boss sends me early morning emails while she's on the treadmill

Advice to Management

I started at Coyne because I was told it was the best place in America to work for, but that couldn't be farther from the truth. I have no opportunity for advancement. My boss doesn't even make eye contact with me. I don't feel respected. We're all nervous about what new surprise lurks around the corner. Will more perks and benefits be slashed? It's scary.

Senior Managment is horrible. Certain people don't care about their team and treat them like they're replaceable. There's constant drama between senior managment with daily cat fights. It's so immature and unpleasant.

5. "Senior Account Executive"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Coyne Public Relations full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

CEO, Culture, Commitment to employees

Cons

That I am on disability and unable to be a part of the amazing environment that Tom has created.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you have been doing. Best place to work!!!

6. "Wonderful Company to Work For"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Coyne Public Relations full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, amazing CEO who believes in the company and believes in his employees, room for growth though it may take time

Cons

Lots of events to work which translates into longer hours

7. "Intern"

Pros

Fun office environment, great accounts

Cons

Little to no direction from staff, not much area to grow

"A special place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Coyne Public Relations full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

What makes Coyne PR a great company? 1. An amazing staff full of really smart people who give a damn about their clients and about each other. 2. Blue-chip clients that make even the world's largest agencies envious. 3. A spirit of camaraderie fostered by teams that feel more like families. 4. Leadership that cares and is committed to the ongoing developing of talent. 5. A confident spirit that refuses to settle for less than excellence. 6. Two offices that provide the flexibility of working either in New Jersey or New York City. And on and on...

Cons

Not everyone can play for the Yankees. You have to be committed. You have to give 110%. You have to be smart. And you have to pull your own weight.

Advice to Management

Stay true to what got you here. Be committed to the values and beliefs that have made Coyne PR so special. Never forget the clients, the employees and the families that have created the one-of-a-kind culture that others in the industry try (but fail) to emulate.

"Good benefits, but lacking professionalism"

I worked at Coyne Public Relations full-time

Pros

Time off is comparable to other agencies. A few surprise half days here and there, and summer Fridays are a nice bonus (can also be found elsewhere). Holidays are standard. Unlimited sick & personal days. You get your birthday off. The benefits are also standard for most mid-size and larger agencies; medical, health, dental, vision, life insurance, disability etc. with a portion paid by the employee. It's nice to get good benefits with a smaller agency feel. Some nice clients, a few bigger names that look good on a resume. Work/life balance is generally good for most of the agency, although there are a few teams that consistently burn the midnight oil. There is a work from home policy. A handful of really great, wonderful people on staff (unfortunately not all stay long). If you're fresh out of school, it's a great opportunity to get your feet wet by getting into a lot of different industries and disciplines, and there's a lot of other junior staff around to form camaraderie with. Offices in NJ and NYC allow flexibility with commuting and exposure to different environments. The work is not necessarily challenging, but you can find opportunities to try new things. If you don't take anything too seriously, it's a fun place to work.

Cons

In the pros section, I said "If you don't take anything too seriously, it's a fun place to work." That's really the problem - at some point, you might feel like you want more out of your career. If that's the case, this agency isn't currently a long-term growth solution. Professionalism is lacking, and if you don't agree with the childish behavior you're "uptight" and not "tough enough", which is laughable. Decisions here are unfortunately often made emotionally, to the detriment of the staff they impact. I definitely recognize the high school/frat party vibe that other reviewers have noted. There seems to be an undercurrent of insecurity/anxiety that permeates the culture; manifesting in a lot of passive aggressive behavior. Strangest culture I've ever worked in. Organizationally, there's a lack of process and attention to detail, and significant business has been lost because of it. A lot of behind-closed-doors bullying and offensive comments made in passing that just aren't appropriate, especially for such a large company (the people making the comments don't seem to recognize how they come off, for better or worse).

Advice to Management

Be more buttoned-up; be more respectful and welcoming to people of different backgrounds

"Coyne is a great place for both employees and clients!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Coyne Public Relations full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Coyne is great! The entire agency just received raises and promotions! The agency is growing, great clients and really cool people!

Cons

We work hard in this industry! PR is not for the weak. It all good because the rewards are worth it!

Advice to Management

Keeping doing what your doing! Live your mission!