Crane Aerospace & Electronics Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 27, 2018

3.3
Rick Jones

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "9-80 work schedule - nice to have a 3 day wknd every now and again" (in 15 reviews)

• "Good people to work with an good company" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Sometimes work life balance suffers" (in 9 reviews)

• "This for new employees for a year or two" (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"awesome place"

Current Employee - Electronics Technician in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Electronics Technician in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at Crane Aerospace & Electronics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

work was always good and never boring

Cons

none just a normal nice place to work

Advice to Management

none

2. "Inspector"

I have been working at Crane Aerospace & Electronics full-time

Pros

Super environment, heavy investment taking place

Cons

Can not think of any

3. "Work experience at Crane A&E"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at Crane Aerospace & Electronics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Crane Aerospace & Electronics has a very high reputation for designing and manufacturing highly engineered aerospace and aircraft products for the most popular and successful aircraft models from airframe manufacturer's like Boeing, Airbus and othe aircraft manufacturers. It has a long history for quality products for the OEM's which is built on the quality and dedication of Crane's employees and workforce. The employees are highly professional, dedicated, focused and hard-working. Everyone is very helpful, cordial and respecful to each other which creates a very conducive and pleasant work environment.

Cons

Not Applicable at this time.

"Dreadful company with miserable people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Martha Lake, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Martha Lake, WA

I worked at Crane Aerospace & Electronics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One thing I will say is that Crane, when it was still ELDEC, had a sterling reputation. It was the sort of company where people really wanted to work. Many of the old-timers still there came on when it was still ELDEC and speak very fondly of how the company used to be. Generations of families worked there, management dealt with you fairly, the pay was good, etc. The people remaining from those glory days are why I loved working at this company and they are some of the nicest, smartest, most hard-working, and loyal people I have ever met.

Cons

Unfortunately, many of the old-timers have retired and the few who are willing to find work elsewhere, even at an advanced age, are doing so. A coworker and I would often talk about how much Crane felt like the Soviet Union.

The infrastructure is dated and crumbling. There are non-functioning cables hanging down from the ceilings that have been there for a decade, servers in the back-end that are older than I am, multiple rapidly failing components (the last I heard, the entire HVAC system powering building three had completely died), desktops that are over 5 years old (the oldest I had come across still in production was built in 1985, although more commonly there were still MANY machines that were 10, 11, or 12 years old). I would regularly see machines that I could not believe were still functional, but that were mission critical and could not be replaced for free, so they were never replaced.

The leadership is incredibly miserly; assemblers who had been working there for years were leaving to go to Boeing (last winter this caused massive part shortages due to a lack of labor) because of how little the raises were. An assembler making $20 an hour would go to Boeing to make $16, but after two years would be making $20 again and another two years later would be making $24. Granted Crane does not cap its raises to encourage people staying at the company long term, this strategy would be much more effective if the environment were not so toxic. Workers often complained that they were not listened to or taken seriously (by no means were these criticisms coming only from assemblers; office workers, supervisors, and even other managers had similar complaints). As much as I regretted many of their departures, I completely understood their motivations. I quit, too, so how could I blame them?

The senior management was completely uncaring or otherwise remarkably incompetent. I have personally worked with a number of people who fled Crane due to bullying or otherwise hostile/unfair/toxic work environments and many more who are trying to do the same. For God’s sake, we couldn’t even hold on to our receptionist (who gave very little notice when quitting and did not share many details about the matter, but made the circumstances very clear). Good workers are not rewarded nearly as much as cunning, conniving politicians. Kissing up to the right people is far more valuable than any work you might contribute. The people who could not be trusted made themselves known almost immediately but were also always the most secure in their positions. One of my favorite anecdotes to tell is when a certain manager (who took literally ZERO interest in the health of the production floor) had, without anyone’s knowledge or input, pushed out a major change to all of the machines in the facility that rendered over half of the factory completely inoperable. He never got so much as a slap on the wrist and, in fact, was recently promoted. Why, you might ask? Because he’s a brilliant manipulator and that’s how you get to the top at a company like Crane.

Finally, the HR department (excluding the benefits team and generalists) could legitimately not care any less. You, “valued employee,” are nothing but a few lines on a form in a drawer and are just as easily replaced. I had complained to my old supervisor about the state of things and about the swamp-creature that would soon be my new manager, and my supervisor had dutifully forwarded my concerns to our HR department (as he was required to do) and met with them the next day (a move that got the poor guy screamed at by our worthless director, reason being that involving HR provides certain legal protections making it hard to get rid of squeaky wheels; this didn't stop the retaliation that came later though). When I was quitting, HR denied any knowledge of my grievances (which involved chest-beating at best and flat-out bullying at worst) to my face. I was being looked at in the eye by the person who said, "this is the first I'm hearing of this." I almost couldn’t believe it, but after some thought, it was clear: if you deny something hard enough and get people to believe your innocence, you never have to take responsibility for it. It seems like HR 101 and I'm a little embarrassed that I didn't understand it at first considering how obvious it is now. They knew I didn't have any hard evidence besides a collection of anecdotes, and firing someone who deserves it is much more work than doing termination paperwork for a disgruntled employee who is going to quit anyway; who cares how awful the work environment is as a result of your dereliction of duty? Do not fool yourself into thinking that HR is blissfully unaware of the state of things; it is a malevolent apathy keeping them comfortably in their chairs.

This is why we remembered the Soviet Union so much: a crumbling infrastructure, no money for anything, leaders who did not care or could not be bothered, and no justice to those who were victimized by those in power. I could not have defected quickly enough and I cannot blame the people who do the same. Sometimes the only winning move is not to play. The Soviet Union, towards the end of its life, had been plagued by so many bad decisions and evil, toxic morons (my department's director was the reincarnation of Leonid Brezhnev, mark my words) that the people who had built it from the ground up, who had been loyal to it, and who had sincerely believed in it were fleeing in droves, and the same is true for Crane.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would honestly be to do nothing, or to continue what they’re doing but more. This is really what Crane brings to the table in terms of value: its function in containing toxic degenerates within the company and keeping them from going elsewhere. Many of the managers working at Crane would be barely capable of managing the night shift at the adjacent Walmart, however I would rather they all be together at Crane that ruining my shopping experience. People who go to work as managers at Crane know that manipulators get ahead, hanging on to the bootstraps of the useful idiots in senior leadership positions, which is why so many of them flock there. They know that their bad behavior will never be addressed and even if their subordinates do complain, nothing is ever going to come of it. People who cannot find work elsewhere (such as my old manager, who had apparently made a reputation for herself as exactly the kind of person she continued to be at Crane) come and work at Crane and find themselves right at home, freeing up leadership positions for other, hopefully less wretched people.

"Lynnwood site is worse than prison"

Former Employee - Engineer in Lynnwood, WA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at Crane Aerospace & Electronics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can quit any time.

Cons

The following pertains to the site at Lynnwood, WA. This is based on years of experience working there.

One of the worst companies, if not the worst company to work for. If you value your health, well being, happiness, and life in general stay far far away from this hostile slave plantation type of environment. I would not wish this type of torturous experience on my worst enemy. The following are a few reasons why no one should ever work here:

Terrible atmosphere: The work environment and atmosphere is what I image prison would be like. You do not get treated like a human being at this company. It is clear that the people managing this company had bad childhoods and they grew up old and bitter and are always in a bad mood with low self esteem so they bully and be little their employees. As a result, this disease of negative energy is passed down the chain. No one is genuinely enthused or enjoys working at this site. Management screams and yells at each other and their employees as though people’s lives are in danger. While I was employed, the turnover rate was at least one employee per month. I have never experienced such a disrespectful, unprofessional, hostile, negative environment in my life and wish to never again.

Pay/benefits: Below industry standards. Raises and bonuses are extremely low for everyone except for management. No overtime pay for engineers but they expect you to work 60-80 hours a week as well as on holidays. If you want a decent pay bump over time, you have to either be a manager or quit and get another job with standard pay rates.

Job perks: None.

Advice to Management

Learn some respect. Treat others the way you would like to be treated. Stop being so corrupt, everyone knows what’s going in the background. Otherwise, do everyone a favor and fire yourself and have someone with standards, morals, and principles replace you.

"Dismal Morale, Poor Management, and Terrible Communication"

I have been working at Crane Aerospace & Electronics full-time

Pros

Observations apply to the main Lynwood site

Co-workers within the group are often excellent. Full-service cafeteria on-site.

Cons

Hoo boy.

Departments have no direction, frequently receiving different direction from different levels of management, none of which seem to talk to each other (or even like each other). Morale has plummeted in the last several months with a large number of employees leaving and more hunting. Frequent in-fighting between departments and decisions made both on a department basis or jointly between groups are often disregarded and ignored. Backstabbing is par for the course.

Some groups have been through a re-org upwards of four times in a 1-1.5 year span, which has caused nothing but chaos. New managers and directors have conflicting ideas of what groups should be doing, throwing the ground-level workers into disarray.

Management is incredibly micromanaging, hindering daily work and further lowering morale. Even worse, many managers can be straight up rude to their employees and fellow managers and employees' opinions or input are frequently disregarded.

Very little is documented and what is, is either old or often ignored by both management and employees. Attempts are often made, often in overly long Kaizens, to rectify the issue but the documentation and process changes that come from these are often incomplete or worse, just incorrect. As a result, the work that comes from these are often disregarded.

Employees are actively fleeing certain departments, only to find that requests for transfers and different roles are being denied out of spite from their current managers. These employees are then looking outside of the company for safe harbor.

Lastly, everything in the facility is ancient. Equipment and software is a mishmash of hardware long past its expiration date and operating systems and software from the 90s. Very little is being done to address this as groups from IT, Engineering, and Corporate build bunkers and trenches to defend their kingdoms.

On a benefits note; there isn't much. Insurance is overpriced for what you get and is worse if you have a spouse. Work/life balance is all over the map, but tends towards the non-existent based on your role.

Importantly, Crane uses PTO, wherein all leave pulls from a (very slow to build) pool of hours. Kid is sick? Too bad, that's your vacation time. Caught Strep or Bronchitis and can't come in or don't want to spread it? There goes your Christmas vacation. Employees frequently come in sick in order to not use their time up, getting others sick in turn. It's shocking to me that a "modern" company like Crane uses a PTO system that's so hostile to its employees.

Advice to Management

You need to actually cooperate with each other. The lack of/conflicting direction issued to employees, combined with the just poor behaving of management in general is tanking morale and causing the company to bleed employees and talent. With the lack of knowledge sharing, losing employees is going to cripple the company

7. "RF Technician"

Current Employee - RF Technician in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - RF Technician in Chandler, AZ

Pros

Flexible work hours, co-workers are nice. Decent pay.

Cons

Poor management and lack of communication to employees.

8. "Best work environment I’ve ever had!"

Former Employee - Technician II in Lynnwood, WA
    Former Employee - Technician II in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at Crane Aerospace & Electronics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cares about employees, if your a good worker you’ll move up in no time.

Cons

Normal grumpy people, but nothing to really complain about

"Large company with small company feel...."

I have been working at Crane Aerospace & Electronics full-time

Pros

People/coworkers are great.
    Flexibility & Work/Life Balance
    Mission/Type of work

Cons

Small site, lots of responsibilities in many areas.

"Typical Corporate America"

Current Employee - Engineering in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Crane Aerospace & Electronics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting job with decent pay.

Cons

Going downhill just like the majority of all other Corporate America jobs.

Advice to Management

No point providing any advice. Management won’t listen and I’d just be wasting my time.