Crane Co. Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Crane Co. CEO Max H. Mitchell
Max H. Mitchell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Learned a ton from the business system (in 3 reviews)

• Good Pay, Good Benefits, Great people (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • lack of training, lack of time, no work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Management is disrespectful, stress level through the roof, no work/life balance, management is never satisfied (in 3 reviews)

1. "Life at Crane Co."

Current Employee - Material Handler
    Current Employee - Material Handler

I have been working at Crane Co. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere. Coworkers are great, very helpful. If you succeed, they succeed. Work is not easy, but not hard. Pay is great for type of work you actually do. Benefits are good. Fairly easy to move up, if you are willing to put the work in. Schedule is great for someone with a family. Normal work schedule is 4/10 hour shifts with the occasional12 hour shift.

Cons

Work can be monotonous. Too many temps. They have adopted the "puppies and rainbows" outlook. Work load can be alot sometimes.

Advice to Management

Listen to your veteran employees. Look at things through your employees on the floor eyes.

2. "Machine operator"

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Williston, SC
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Williston, SC

I have been working at Crane Co. part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Any where that give me a chance I just need a good paying job.

Cons

I hate my job they don't pay anything Im just looking for a good job I'll be happy to work at.

3. "Sales Manager"

I have been working at Crane Co. full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule. Company Car corporate credit card (could also be Con cause of points)

Cons

Disconnected management that shows a lack of respect to the field teams. Decisions are not based on stated company values. Management does not trust employees.

Advice to Management

Wake up! When you tell people to do their jobs you get workers. When you trust them to do their job you get leaders.

"Field Service Engineer"

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Kennesaw, GA

Pros

Travel to different nuclear power plants both domestic and international. Meat new people at every job site and cultures.

Cons

Make promises that they never keep. Lies to employees way too often. Always seems to change job descriptions to better suit themselves instead of staying within the job outline.

Advice to Management

Stop lying. Tell those things they think we want to hear to keep us from leaving and going to their competition.

5. "AOV/I&C Testing Supervisor"

Current Employee - I&C Ivalve Section Supervisor in Port Saint Lucie, FL
    Current Employee - I&C Ivalve Section Supervisor in Port Saint Lucie, FL

I have been working at Crane Co. (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent Management throughout the organization.

Cons

There are not many cons I could come across during my employment

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Very High Employee Turnover - Inept Managers and Process"

Current Employee - Project Management in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Project Management in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Crane Co. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The few pros are outweighed by the unfair burdens placed on employees.

Cons

Managers hid behind processes that have no consequences for success.. No support, and a lot of yelling and screaming on conference calls. Objectives and follow-through are not evident. Executives are out of touch with customers. The end of year review process is a joke and should just be avoided to counter the high turnover. For the long timers it is just a job and minimal effort is put forth.

Advice to Management

Stop the legacy B.S. because it is not practiced by executives nor is it inspiring. More of a joke.

"Sliding profits and mass exodus"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Crane Co. (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company has been around for a long time and there are a lot of business units.

Cons

Sliding profits mean downsizing of workers. Corporate people only look out for themselves and do not promote when people are due to move up. HR is useless and untrustworthy. Very little to no perqs and always cost cutting. Noticing high turnover lately and cutting benefits. Not a good environment to grow. Little to no culture except for "me first". Lots of favoritism from managers which breeds resentment and discontent.

Advice to Management

You are set in your ways and need to move with the times. Treat your workers better and recognize good work once in a while.

"Intern"

Current Intern - Intern in Stamford, CT
    Current Intern - Intern in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Crane Co. as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company that truly care about its employees. Promotes from within first thing. Worldwide and many US locations so ability to travel. Surrounded by hard-working and inspiring people.

Cons

Not a very "fun" cultural atmosphere. Would prefer a little more camaraderie between employees. This can be improved upon in the future.

Advice to Management

Has a very good outlook for the company and holds to the company's values. There is a lot of room for advancement from within the company. Management is full of very intelligent people who work hard. Maybe remember that work isn't everything.

"Riding it out"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Crane Co. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

wish i could think of them anymore.....remodeled office area , vacation time, 10 holidays, 401k, a few really good bosses and some awesome colleagues if you can find them and stick to them.

Cons

Work life balance is a joke unless you are a new employee. they only want to hire young college kids from the top ten. they give them outrageous benefits that all the long time workers can't get or have just earned. the review process is a joke. you could score great but get nothing because your direct boss doesn't have a say in it. the company works on the fear system. they keep laying off people with experience, the executive staff at MG and Chicago are never happy and want everyone to be afraid of them. the job changes constantly depending on the mood swings of Senior Management. It is all about them making their goals. If you fail to make their goals for them you better start moving on.

Advice to Management

Value your experienced employees. Stop brining in the new kids with the same salaries and better benefits. Realize we don't have time for all the meetings about more meetings if you want to make your goals. trust us to do our jobs and stop thinking of new improved ways to do it every month...

10. "Just Another U.S. Company"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Crane Co. as a contractor

Pros

There have been some important acquisitions that positions Crane as big player in its industry.

Cons

There is a work overload on every department and management is only worry about the bottom line

Advice to Management

The model is unsustainable, when the economy and the job market recovers there will be an exodus of employees and the cost of retraining will be a burden on those who stay, placing the company in an endless cycle of employee turnovers and training that will affect their precious bottom line.