Crane Co. Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Crane Co. CEO Max H. Mitchell
Max H. Mitchell

Pros
  • Super willing to help out whenever needed and answer any questions I asked (in 4 reviews)

• Good Pay, Good Benefits, Great people (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • lack of training, lack of time, no work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Management is disrespectful, stress level through the roof, no work/life balance, management is never satisfied (in 3 reviews)

"Toxic culture that mirrors the military"

Former Employee - Executive in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Executive in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Crane Co. (More than a year)

Pros

None. I won't be surprised if HR faked all the positive reviews about this company.

Cons

Culture: Culture mirrors the military (please read other reviews). Crane is infamous, for work culture that is highly toxic and unpleasant. A senior HR leader once candidly confessed that their culture is 1. "Complete compliance without questioning" and 2. "to Resist is futile". People openly admit to these statements and for some reasons leaders take a lot of pride in it.
    Leadership: This is literally the worst thing about Crane. I have never seen more egotistical people in my professional career. It starts all the way at the top. They are too far removed from reality and only focus on pretty power points for the corporate division. There have been instances where senior executives in official meetings would challenge their direct reports to meet their targets and get an expensive bottle of wine for doing so and then in the same sentence tell other middle managers that this challenge won't be open to them since the wine was expensive. There were managers who would extensively and openly throw their executive title around just to protect themselves from accepting mistakes/ failures. Throwing titles in other people's face, Intimidation and retribution for people who rebel is an accepted leadership style and also well rewarded. And it is all done under the pretense of " We have a unique culture".
    Attrition: At any given time several of key senior management and management positions are open. People who get an even slightly better opportunity leave. This makes way to dump all the work on people who do end up staying. There are 2 kinds of people who stay, one who have been there way to long and are far too rigid to go anywhere, and people who are currently not in better places. Leaderships lacks talent, credibility or sometimes basic manners.
    Products: Old and failing. They are bottom feeders in majority of market segments except for merchandising. However, the ego is believing how superior their products are is embarrassing, out of tune with reality and stifling any innovation. There is not a lot of innovation to begin with.
    Brand: Largely inconsequential brand. Competitors could not care less about their products as Crane is famous as a no growth company.

Advice to Management

None.

2. "Sales Manager"

I have been working at Crane Co. full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule. Company Car corporate credit card (could also be Con cause of points)

Cons

Disconnected management that shows a lack of respect to the field teams. Decisions are not based on stated company values. Management does not trust employees.

Advice to Management

Wake up! When you tell people to do their jobs you get workers. When you trust them to do their job you get leaders.

3. "Good Place to work"

Pros

-Work Ethics at the forefront
    -Good Wwork Environment
    -Liberty to lead

Cons

-Hikes
    -Decision making for NPD slow
    -Hierarchy makes process slow

Advice to Management

-Decision making to be made rapid with changing market

5. "Awesome"

I worked at Crane Co. full-time

Pros

Very Awesome place to work

Cons

There are no negative's working here

6. "Life at Crane Co."

Current Employee - Material Handler
    Current Employee - Material Handler

I have been working at Crane Co. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere. Coworkers are great, very helpful. If you succeed, they succeed. Work is not easy, but not hard. Pay is great for type of work you actually do. Benefits are good. Fairly easy to move up, if you are willing to put the work in. Schedule is great for someone with a family. Normal work schedule is 4/10 hour shifts with the occasional12 hour shift.

Cons

Work can be monotonous. Too many temps. They have adopted the "puppies and rainbows" outlook. Work load can be alot sometimes.

Advice to Management

Listen to your veteran employees. Look at things through your employees on the floor eyes.

7. "Stay far far away from this place"

Pros

None. Absolutely none at all. None. Absolutely none at all. None. Absolutely none at all. None. Absolutely none at all.

Cons

Environment is a disgrace. People suck. Processes suck. You have been warned. Stay far away. I promise you can do much better working for a sanitation department.

8. "Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)

I have been working at Crane Co. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Diversified businesses. Transparent work culture

Cons

Some managers lack vision that restricts growth of team members

"Managers Way Over Their Head"

Former Employee - Project Management in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Project Management in Omaha, NE

I worked at Crane Co. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are in line with market, but nothing to write home about.

Cons

Processes cloud the very issues at hand and those issues are literally painted over and never really solved. Lack processes to identify the very root of the matter and solve it. Managers get way in over their heads and after ignoring team members find themselves in a situation where they are demoted and let go, or want to get back to their former job. It is better that they are let go because they have lost all credibility.

Advice to Management

Square pegs don't fit round holes.

10. "Buyer Planner"

Pros

Co workers were friendly and helpful. Most everyone there helps each other out.

Cons

lack of training, lack of time, no work life balance.

Advice to Management

create more time to train

11. "Fast paced environment with good benefits"

Former Employee - Material Handler
    Former Employee - Material Handler

I worked at Crane Co. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pay is pretty good for a manufacturing job with lots of overtime and friendly co-workers and decent management. I liked working here.

Cons

I worked at Crane Co for 23 years previously and had to leave due to my wife getting relocated. Their hiring practice has now changed to temp only and I was let go after 6 months due to slow down in orders. I think I should have been given some consideration for full time employment for the fact that I had worked there for so long previously.

Advice to Management

You will get a better caliber of worker hiring full time employees and have less turnover than you do with temps in my opinion