Crane Co. Reviews | Glassdoor

Crane Co. Reviews

Updated July 10, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Learned a ton from the business system (in 3 reviews)

• Good Pay, Good Benefits, Great people (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • lack of training, lack of time, no work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Management is disrespectful, stress level through the roof, no work/life balance, management is never satisfied (in 3 reviews)

1. "Fast paced environment with good benefits"

Former Employee - Material Handler
    Former Employee - Material Handler

I worked at Crane Co. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pay is pretty good for a manufacturing job with lots of overtime and friendly co-workers and decent management. I liked working here.

Cons

I worked at Crane Co for 23 years previously and had to leave due to my wife getting relocated. Their hiring practice has now changed to temp only and I was let go after 6 months due to slow down in orders. I think I should have been given some consideration for full time employment for the fact that I had worked there for so long previously.

Advice to Management

You will get a better caliber of worker hiring full time employees and have less turnover than you do with temps in my opinion

"Field Service Engineer"

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Kennesaw, GA

Pros

Travel to different nuclear power plants both domestic and international. Meat new people at every job site and cultures.

Cons

Make promises that they never keep. Lies to employees way too often. Always seems to change job descriptions to better suit themselves instead of staying within the job outline.

Advice to Management

Stop lying. Tell those things they think we want to hear to keep us from leaving and going to their competition.

"Nightmare CEO"

Former Employee - Vice President in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Seattle, WA

I worked at Crane Co. (More than 5 years)

Pros

Crane has one of the best Business Systems in the fortune 500 but not the talent or leadership to properly execute it with the lost of Tom Perlitz who was in charge of corporate strategy and the development of the Crane business System...

There some very interesting businesses here...

Cons

The CEO is a nightmare who uses intimidation and fear to motivate employees... He doesn't listen to his executive teams and is threatened by anyone who challenges his ideas or authority... He is an ex-automotive executive who thinks simplistic business models apply across all businesses regardless of channel or market... He behaves one way in front of the board and is a nightmare to deal with one on one. He h put the health of several executives at risk. He is very jealous of others success and competitive with those that work for him and talks constantly about his legacy with his inner circle...

They only target to be in the top 50% of pay and they work very hard at the corporate level to minimize pay of their employees...

Advice to Management

Upgrade with a modern CEO with understands to value of people and the complexity of running a successful diversified... Move to a more modern culture of respect curiosity and sound business models...

4. "Retail Rep"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in McLean, VA

I worked at Crane Co. part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back work environment working with a quality product that people want.

Cons

not much room for advancement in the retail division

Advice to Management

The retail shops don't get a whole lot of attention. I dont know if they still have them around.

"Restructuring, Repositioning ..... Crane Co's "growth" strategy"

Former Employee - Senior Finance Position in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Finance Position in New York, NY

I worked at Crane Co. full-time

Pros

Good people working extremely hard to make a difference, meet exceedingly difficult goals. Highly process driven culture, some good training programs. Bonus structure has improved over the years. Tend to hire from within.

Cons

Corporate team with little field experience, generally clueless to (nor do they actually care to understand) how their reporting requirements impact the business units. 200-300+ slide PowerPoint presentations are the norm with endless hours spent by the BU leadership team "perfecting" them.... These distractions leads to lack of growth to which the Corporate team responses with continual, year after year of restructuring to meet (or nearly meet) street expectations. By way of example, the excerpt below is from Crane's most recent SEC filing:

"In 2015, we recorded pre-tax restructuring charges and related costs of $11 million, substantially all of which was related to the repositioning activities in our Fluid Handling and Aerospace & Electronics segments. In 2014, we recorded pre-tax restructuring charges and related costs of $33.0 million, of which $22.7 million was related to the repositioning activities in our Fluid Handling and Aerospace & Electronics segments and $10.3 million was related to the acquisition of MEI"

Seems to never end..................

The change in leadership at the top is another major issue at Crane. Eric Fast was well respected by Crane employees and showed great respect for all. He was tough but fair, listened didn't tell and you could always rely on his word. Unfortunately, this is not the case with the current CEO.

Advice to Management

Consider the attrition rate over the past several years (forced and un-forced); Cutting costs to grow is not a sound strategy - its time to change your thinking. Also, you should insist that before joining the Corporate team in Stamford that all employees spend time onboarding with 1 or 2 of the business units.

"Customer Service Rep"

Pros

Good pay for the level

Cons

Poor supply chain causes issues

"Good learning experience - terrible culture"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Crane Co. (More than a year)

Pros

Structured business system and good training resources. The employees are generally very friendly and have a lot of experience in their positions.

Cons

Terribly outdated and poorly organized facilities. Lack if capital investment. Lots of emphasis on kaizen events but they never show results. Cut-throat culture. Excessive time spent analyzing and presenting data.

Advice to Management

Create realistic goals. You have tons of problems that took decades to create - you're not going to fix them all this year. So pick a few big ones and allow your employees to focus for a change.

8. "Assembly Specialist II"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynnwood, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at Crane Co. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fair* Pay, advancement opportunities, smart and hardworking management, great engineering teams.

Cons

Despite their best effort there is simply a lot of chemical exposure. Diverse staff means difficulty in company culture building. Pays you enough to satisfy your needs but not enough to deal with the crushing reality that you will have to work there your whole life.

9. "Great learning experience"

Former Employee - Intern in Piqua, OH
    Former Employee - Intern in Piqua, OH

I worked at Crane Co. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Positive environment with team focused management. Hands on experience allowed me to learn things that I couldn't learn in a classroom. I appreciated the positive reinforcement and relationships made with coworkers.

Cons

Nothing negative to say. Had a great experience. I would recommend working for this corporation. There are many opportunities for building a resume.

Advice to Management

Management was wonderful

"Enron of the manufacturing industry, except less innovative in schemes"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Crane Co. full-time

Pros

Small-time feel.
    No formalized structure.
    Lack of protocol or processes allows certain freedom if you sell ideas

Cons

Lack of management focus.
    High probability of frequent financial misconduct at upper management levels
    Corruption
    "Old boys network"
    No real organizational commitment to goals.
    Excessive propaganda and too much misconduct.

Advice to Management

Stop the corruption before the SEC on other government entities catch on and investigate. Too many innocent people will suffer as a result.