Crate and Barrel Reviews in Beverly Hills, CA | Glassdoor

Beverly Hills, CA

Crate and Barrel Chief Executive Officer Neela Montgomery
Neela Montgomery

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The work environment is one that fosters teamwork (in 56 reviews)

• Great product, some nice co workers, good customers (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • scheduling recommendations for part time employees can be difficult with personal availability (in 46 reviews)

• If you are looking for full time hours it can be challenging to receive (in 34 reviews)

1. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate - Seasonal in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate - Seasonal in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Crate and Barrel (Less than a year)

Pros

Very structured, good sales team, great product, well staged and displayed.

Cons

Not enough hours. Seems like there are too many employees rotated in and out of schedule.

Advice to Management

No complaints.

"Don't Bother Applying"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Crate and Barrel part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice discount, however if you use a 20% off coupon at Bed Bath & Beyond, the items are usually chaper even after the 30% discount at C&B

Cons

Horrible management, very little chance for promotion, below average hourly wage, hard work for the compensation.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like professionals and not " a liability"

"Management is terrible"

Former Employee - Sale Representative in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Sale Representative in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Crate and Barrel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work woth this company are the employees. They become like family

Cons

management at the Beverly Hills location, was prejudice and displayed favoritism. She made it very difficult for people to feel comfortable in the work place.

Advice to Management

Retraining for the current management as well as sensitivity training.

Crate and Barrel Response

Nov 21, 2016

​Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. We welcome an opportunity to discuss your experiences with you. Please contact our corporate offices at 847-272-2888 and ask to speak to a... More

"It's all about the money"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Crate and Barrel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most staff is seasoned and has extensive knowledge.

Cons

Company became only about numbers and lost what made it special. Now it's just like any other retail store.

Advice to Management

Concentrate on building better report between staff and customers

Crate and Barrel Response

Sep 19, 2016 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to provide your experiences.

"Furniture Sales"

Former Employee - Furniture Sales Associate in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Furniture Sales Associate in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Crate and Barrel (More than 10 years)

Pros

Brand, company history, product, family atmosphere,

Cons

Pay, horrible management, too many layers of managers.

Advice to Management

Get rid of all of your mid level managers. Completely unnecessary. Most of the people who work there are smart, educated, reliable and trustworthy. Customer Service USED to be the focus. Now it is long gone. The feeling on the street is that C&B is combative and antagonistic and not the least bit customer friendly. Service is long gone. A shame.

"I loved the fact that I was going to work for a store that I loved to shop in.....what a disappointment!"

Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at Crate and Barrel part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The coworkers are the best anywhere, perhaps their perceptions are as blurred as mine. Most of the associates just "go through the motion" to get the job done.

Cons

Management is the worst I've ever experienced. A monkey can do their job. The have NO compassion for the people that are making the company money and it is as if they are on another level above and beyond the "underdog" slave help that they hire and they know it. Management means being able to deal with not only customer issues, but more importantly, employees. I'm not sure what qualifications it takes to become management at Crate, but I'm sure it doesn't include compassion for the company and it's associates. Lets not forget that Crate has been sued for several class action lawsuits!!! That alone says something about the scruples of the company. The employees yearly revues are a joke. The minute you sit down they make it perfectly clear that they only base your performance on a "meets" standard performance even though they give you a form to fill out for you to rate yourself....it's a joke. I was awarded "associate of the quarter" which means that most of those that I worked with thought I went above and beyond to do my job well but it means nothing when the review is underway. After one year of hardworking, commited service I was awarded a .27 cent raise, I almost fell off my chair. I'll have to wait another year to hopefully get another .27 cents. NOT A CAREER CHOICE BUY ANY MEANS.

Advice to Management

See cons above and learn from it or Crate & Barrel will be a thing of the past!

7. "The drudgery of retail, but enjoyable"

Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Crate and Barrel part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworker, great merchandise, enjoyed the discount a lot. Management was flexible with my schedule.

Cons

Pay very low for long busy days working with picky customers. Management expecting me as a part time employee to meet sales goals, which were pretty impossible when most of my shifts were closing hours only.

Advice to Management

Management used to foster and encourage great team spirit amongst their employees. When I left the company, the environment was going more corporate and lost this this great feeling among the staff. Even though the pay is low, employees still like to feel that they are respected by their employers and are a part of the team, not a cog in the machine.

"Corporate America at its worst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at Crate and Barrel (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great health insurance (for now)

Cons

Low retail salaries used to be balanced out by an enjoyable, creative work environment that encouraged individuality. The recent desperate measures taken by Sasha Bopp and the conglomerate he represents suggest that the company must be on shaky ground. Every aspect of the stores is being immediately revamped, from management structure to store design to the firing of long-standing employees to be replaced by hordes of part-timers. A cookie-cutter mentality that forces employees to conform to a script of behavior has been instituted. The company clearly no longer values longevity. Cost-savings are achieved by the tired corporate cliche of eliminating benefits by firing full-timers and replacing them with expendable, poorly paid part-time staff. Store management has been streamlined, which means there are fewer of them to have any idea what actually occurs on the sales floor, spending an even greater portion of their time in meetings getting instructions from corporate. The assistant manager summed up the corporate mentality perfectly by saying in a recent meeting "what's good for the company is good for you".

Advice to Management

Review history of other companies that have tanked.